[Wikimedia-l] Windows 10 lockscreen images

[Wikimedia-l] Windows 10 lockscreen images

Andy Mabbett-2
Those of you running Windows 10 will be familiar with the
regularly-changing "lockscreen" images showing things like beautiful
scenery and scenes from nature:

    https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/find-windows-spotlight-lock-screen-images-windows-10/

The last one I just saw was labelled "copyright [photographer name]
and Shutterstock"

Is there someone at WMF, with contacts at Microsoft, who could
persuade them to use some featured images from Commons, with a small
piece of text explaining that people may upload their own images?

That would seem to be a simple way to do a massive piece of outreach,
to a new audience.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Windows 10 lockscreen images

Tomasz Ganicz
In some geographies this feature is used as an advertising tool - I guess
promoting of Commons via this feature could be quite costly.

> Those of you running Windows 10 will be familiar with the
> regularly-changing "lockscreen" images showing things like beautiful
> scenery and scenes from nature:
>
>     https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/find-windows-spotlight-lock-
> screen-images-windows-10/
>
> The last one I just saw was labelled "copyright [photographer name]
> and Shutterstock"
>
> Is there someone at WMF, with contacts at Microsoft, who could
> persuade them to use some featured images from Commons, with a small
> piece of text explaining that people may upload their own images?
>
> That would seem to be a simple way to do a massive piece of outreach,
> to a new audience.
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Windows 10 lockscreen images

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
it does not hurt to ask - Microsoft does some CSR, after all, and using
beautiful images under an open license is in their interest, too anyway. I
would not be overly optimistic though.

dj

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In some geographies this feature is used as an advertising tool - I guess
> promoting of Commons via this feature could be quite costly.

> > Those of you running Windows 10 will be familiar with the
> > regularly-changing "lockscreen" images showing things like beautiful
> > scenery and scenes from nature:
> >
> >     https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/find-windows-spotlight-lock-
> > screen-images-windows-10/
> >
> > The last one I just saw was labelled "copyright [photographer name]
> > and Shutterstock"
> >
> > Is there someone at WMF, with contacts at Microsoft, who could
> > persuade them to use some featured images from Commons, with a small
> > piece of text explaining that people may upload their own images?
> >
> > That would seem to be a simple way to do a massive piece of outreach,
> > to a new audience.
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

> Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
> http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
> http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

__________________________

<http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/> prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
kierownik katedry MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies)
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl  <http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>

associate faculty w Berkman-Klein Center for Internet and Society,
Harvard University

Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University
Press) mojego autorstwa (Dorothy Lee Award 2015, Nagroda
Naukowa Prezesa PAN 2016)  http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Windows 10 lockscreen images

Rogol Domedonfors
Perhaps a randomly chosen image every time the user logs in?

Rudigerd

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> it does not hurt to ask - Microsoft does some CSR, after all, and using
> beautiful images under an open license is in their interest, too anyway. I
> would not be overly optimistic though.
>
> dj
>
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > In some geographies this feature is used as an advertising tool - I guess
> > promoting of Commons via this feature could be quite costly.

> > > Those of you running Windows 10 will be familiar with the
> > > regularly-changing "lockscreen" images showing things like beautiful
> > > scenery and scenes from nature:
> > >
> > >     https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/find-windows-spotlight-lock-
> > > screen-images-windows-10/
> > >
> > > The last one I just saw was labelled "copyright [photographer name]
> > > and Shutterstock"
> > >
> > > Is there someone at WMF, with contacts at Microsoft, who could
> > > persuade them to use some featured images from Commons, with a small
> > > piece of text explaining that people may upload their own images?
> > >
> > > That would seem to be a simple way to do a massive piece of outreach,
> > > to a new audience.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Andy Mabbett
> > > @pigsonthewing
> > > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

> > Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
> > http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
> > http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

> __________________________
>
> <http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/> prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
> kierownik katedry MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies)
> Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
> http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl  <http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>
>
> associate faculty w Berkman-Klein Center for Internet and Society,
> Harvard University
>
> Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
> Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University
> Press) mojego autorstwa (Dorothy Lee Award 2015, Nagroda
> Naukowa Prezesa PAN 2016)  http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Windows 10 lockscreen images

Michael Maggs
Rogol

Why the randomly-chosen names beginning with R?

Michael

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:

> Perhaps a randomly chosen image every time the user logs in?
>
> Rudigerd
>
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> it does not hurt to ask - Microsoft does some CSR, after all, and using
>> beautiful images under an open license is in their interest, too anyway. I
>> would not be overly optimistic though.
>>
>> dj
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Tomasz Ganicz<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In some geographies this feature is used as an advertising tool - I guess
>>> promoting of Commons via this feature could be quite costly.

>>> --
>>> Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
>>> http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
>>> http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
>>

>> --
>> __________________________
>>
>> <http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>  prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
>> kierownik katedry MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies)
>> Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
>> http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl<http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>
>>
>> associate faculty w Berkman-Klein Center for Internet and Society,
>> Harvard University
>>
>> Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
>> Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University
>> Press) mojego autorstwa (Dorothy Lee Award 2015, Nagroda
>> Naukowa Prezesa PAN 2016)  http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Windows 10 lockscreen images

Rich Farmbrough
I have looked at the Wikipedia traffic for the places associated with some
of these images, and it is clear that they drive in the order of thousands
of hits per day.

I haven't been able to find a definitive list, from which more
comprehensive stats could be generated.

I think that using Commons images might provide an attribution problem.  It
might also take bread from the mouth of babes  (or at least photographers).
I think Microsoft can afford to pay for these images and fund creation of
more, even if that is mainly going to be commercial, it is not inimical to
free images.

On 21 Aug 2017 18:20, "Michael Maggs" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rogol
>
> Why the randomly-chosen names beginning with R?
>
> Michael
>

> Rogol Domedonfors wrote:
>
>> Perhaps a randomly chosen image every time the user logs in?
>>
>> Rudigerd
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> it does not hurt to ask - Microsoft does some CSR, after all, and using
>>> beautiful images under an open license is in their interest, too anyway.
>>> would not be overly optimistic though.
>>>
>>> dj
>>>
>>> On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Tomasz Ganicz<[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> In some geographies this feature is used as an advertising tool - I guess

>>> --
>>> __________________________
>>>
>>> <http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>  prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
>>> kierownik katedry MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies)
>>> Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
>>> http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl<http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>
>>>
>>> associate faculty w Berkman-Klein Center for Internet and Society,
>>> Harvard University
>>>
>>> Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
>>> Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University
>>> Press) mojego autorstwa (Dorothy Lee Award 2015, Nagroda
>>> Naukowa Prezesa PAN 2016)  http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Windows 10 lockscreen images

Andy Mabbett-2
Following this up, from last August. Did anyone at WMF see it? I don't
think we had a response from anyone there.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Windows 10 lockscreen images

jmh649
Anyone within the community can reach out to them and ask. Agree this is a
good idea.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 7:09 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Following this up, from last August. Did anyone at WMF see it? I don't
> think we had a response from anyone there.
>
> On 20 August 2017 at 00:08, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Those of you running Windows 10 will be familiar with the
> > regularly-changing "lockscreen" images showing things like beautiful
> > scenery and scenes from nature:
> >
> >     https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/find-windows-spotlight-lock-
> screen-images-windows-10/
> >
> > The last one I just saw was labelled "copyright [photographer name]
> > and Shutterstock"
> >
> > Is there someone at WMF, with contacts at Microsoft, who could
> > persuade them to use some featured images from Commons, with a small
> > piece of text explaining that people may upload their own images?
> >
> > That would seem to be a simple way to do a massive piece of outreach,
> > to a new audience.
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing