[Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

[Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Alice Wiegand-4
Hi everyone,

as you know, we have one vacant appointed seat on the Board of Trustees. We
have asked m/Oppenheim Associates to assist us in finding a new board
member and and we are reaching out to the community for suggestions and
nominations.

The Board functions as a governance body that is ultimately responsible for
the Wikimedia Foundation and its activities, supervises the disposition and
solicitation of donations, and evaluates the organization’s Executive
Director who leads all Foundation staff. As arguably the most influential
and respected organization in the free knowledge movement, the Wikimedia
Foundation and its Board have a great responsibility for setting policy
deliberately and with due consideration for the diverse interests of a
truly global community. To find out more about the responsibilities and
workings of the board you can have a look at the Board
manual<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_board_manual>
.

As with any search process we will be communicating with a lot of potential
candidates to see if we are a good match. The Board’s objective is to use
this search to strengthen its competence with regards to board governance,
grantmaking, strategy, and expertise with regions where Wikimedia is trying
to make rapid strides in the growth of our projects.

Board terms are for a two year period. Compared to other boards the time
commitment is very significant. The Board of Trustees meets four times a
year, twice in San Francisco and twice in changing locations around the
globe. Meetings take two days and travel can add another two days to each
meeting. In addition, the Board communicates frequently by email and
Internet Relay Chat (IRC) as it navigates policy issues. This can absorb
4-10 hours weekly. Board members also regularly engage with the Community
through wiki pages.

We think that the WMF would benefit from a Board member who has experience
with organizations that have grown and evolved rapidly, and who understands
how boards can evolve to provide appropriate governance support in these
changing circumstances. Experience with international, community-driven,
consensus organizations is also important as the Foundation would not exist
without the community.

We would like to call upon you to help us out with finding the right
individual. A complete position description can be found
here<http://moppenheim.com/searches/links/Wikimedia%20Foundation%20-%20Board%20Member%20position%20description%20-%20final.pdf>and
additional information can be found at
www.moppenheim.com and www.wikimediafoundation.org. Your suggestions and
nominations are very welcome. Please feel free to reach out to your
networks and distribute this note as you deem appropriate.

Interested individuals should contact Lisa Grossman  [hidden email]

--
Alice Wiegand
Board of Trustees

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Itzik Edri
I don't understand. The board hired and pays to a company to find a board
member? Have we tried before via our networks, chapters, and via our
advisory board to find such a person (as been done until now?).

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 1:55 AM, Alice Wiegand <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> individual. A complete position description can be found
> here<
> http://moppenheim.com/searches/links/Wikimedia%20Foundation%20-%20Board%20Member%20position%20description%20-%20final.pdf
> >and
> additional information can be found at
> www.moppenheim.com and www.wikimediafoundation.org. Your suggestions and
> nominations are very welcome. Please feel free to reach out to your
> networks and distribute this note as you deem appropriate.
>
> Interested individuals should contact Lisa Grossman  [hidden email]
>
> --
> Alice Wiegand
> Board of Trustees
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

rupert THURNER-2
my first thought when i read this was "should i use my free time to
edit wikipedia so that somebody donates money to wmf, and they use it
to pay oppenheim?"

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> individual. A complete position description can be found
>> here<
>> http://moppenheim.com/searches/links/Wikimedia%20Foundation%20-%20Board%20Member%20position%20description%20-%20final.pdf
>> >and
>> additional information can be found at
>> www.moppenheim.com and www.wikimediafoundation.org. Your suggestions and
>> nominations are very welcome. Please feel free to reach out to your
>> networks and distribute this note as you deem appropriate.
>>
>> Interested individuals should contact Lisa Grossman  [hidden email]
>>
>> --
>> Alice Wiegand
>> Board of Trustees
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Dan Rosenthal
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the WMF has used Oppenheim before for senior
level hiring (appointed board members and maybe C-suite level staff? I'm
not sure about that last one, but I'm almost certain I recall the WMF has
used Oppenheim for executive searches before.) My understanding is that the
value in the prospect is simply because Oppenheim simply has a wider reach
and base of contacts than the WMF does. If memory serves, they were the
ones who found Geoff Brigham, and I believe they also found the replacement
for Veronique as CFOO. I'm not really sure why this is suddenly a concern
now, and not before, especially given the quality of success they've had in
the past.

-Dan

Dan Rosenthal

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> >> here<
> >>
> http://moppenheim.com/searches/links/Wikimedia%20Foundation%20-%20Board%20Member%20position%20description%20-%20final.pdf
> >> additional information can be found at
> >> www.moppenheim.com and www.wikimediafoundation.org. Your suggestions
> and
> >> nominations are very welcome. Please feel free to reach out to your
> >> networks and distribute this note as you deem appropriate.
> >>
> >> Interested individuals should contact Lisa Grossman
> [hidden email]
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alice Wiegand
> >> Board of Trustees
> >> Wikimedia Foundation
> >>
> >> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

David Gerard-2
On 17 February 2013 21:37, Dan Rosenthal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the WMF has used Oppenheim before for senior
> level hiring (appointed board members and maybe C-suite level staff? I'm
> not sure about that last one, but I'm almost certain I recall the WMF has
> used Oppenheim for executive searches before.) My understanding is that the
> value in the prospect is simply because Oppenheim simply has a wider reach
> and base of contacts than the WMF does. If memory serves, they were the
> ones who found Geoff Brigham, and I believe they also found the replacement
> for Veronique as CFOO. I'm not really sure why this is suddenly a concern
> now, and not before, especially given the quality of success they've had in
> the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality - any
expense you think you understand is worth objecting to.
http://bikeshed.org

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

theo10011
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Dan Rosenthal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the WMF has used Oppenheim before for senior
> level hiring (appointed board members and maybe C-suite level staff? I'm
> not sure about that last one, but I'm almost certain I recall the WMF has
> used Oppenheim for executive searches before.) My understanding is that the
> value in the prospect is simply because Oppenheim simply has a wider reach
> and base of contacts than the WMF does. If memory serves, they were the
> ones who found Geoff Brigham, and I believe they also found the replacement
> for Veronique as CFOO. I'm not really sure why this is suddenly a concern
> now, and not before, especially given the quality of success they've had in
> the past.

I'd have to agree with Dan here. This is a very visible and important
position, this should require professional consulting and proper vetting
before someone is appointed. A recruiting service will have a wider reach
and better experience with suggesting suitable candidates. I also don't see
how simply appointing a chapter or community person would make this any
more balanced, since they both have separate elections every year.

Since both of you are involved with Chapters and the WCA effort, you
shouldn't be strangers to outside consultation. I think a few of the larger
chapters have approached recruiting agencies for filling vacancies, then
there was the "SG" position that was also going to be filled through a
recruiting agency. I hope also don't need to point out that you have
already consulted outside agencies for an organization that doesn't exist
yet.

BTW Itzik, you answer some of your own concerns pretty well here[1].

Regards
Theo

[1]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Chapters_Association/Resolutions/2012_SG_recruitment#Person_before_location.3F

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Indeed there's nothing to be surprised of, m/Oppenheim has always been used.

Alice Wiegand, 17/02/2013 00:55:
> Interested individuals should contact Lisa Grossman  [hidden email]

I didn't understand this line: did you mean individuals interested in
"applying" for the position or in commenting the process?
Using a firm like m/Oppenheim is good, but not particularly useful given
that we (as Wikimedia movement) obviously (probably?) have no idea of
what we really need from a WMF trustee, which is way harder to define
than the desiderata for a manager with rather specific tasks.
Alice created this useful page to which more people should add their
feedback, IMHO:
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Board_Governance_Committee/Agenda_2012-2013/Appointed_seats/What_makes_a_good_Trustee%3F>
Is it superseded? I think it shouldn't.

For instance, let me say that I don't like the position description at
all. :)
        It describes the board as a highly defensive body, in need of trench
warfare experts:
* «has the ability to make unpopular decisions when necessary and
explain them transparently in the face of criticism»;
* «comfortable *receiving* input and criticism from many sources»;
* «ability to tolerate a high degree of ambiguity, and to *negotiate*
with people having sharply defined opinions»;
* « *Patience* with consensus processes»
(emphasis mine).
        There's only a passage about «willingness to
learn from and engage with the community» which despite the word
"engage" is made into a passive light by «deeply understand their
interests and concerns».
        This is not what we need from a trustee, in my opinion. What we need is
trustees able to:
1) *solicit* an ealthy discussion,
2) *involve* more people in the WMF work and priorities and in the
discussions about them,
3) make the board stronger and more credible so that its not just a "vox
clamantis in deserto" whose resolutions have no effect on reality (see
Openness, probably also BLP... with all due respect and without
repeating discussions we've had also in person) or are only monstruous
wastes of time/resources for Wikimedia (see image filter [1]);
4) to *revolutionize* (if needed) a body so *sclerotic* that even when
we have elections discussions are deadly empty and boring,[2] we have
99.5 % abstention,[3] nobody asks or reads questions.[4]

HTH,
        Nemo

[1] Referendum also had 96 % abstention,
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/Results/en>
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/Email/False_positives>
[2]
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Board_elections/2011#Candidates_look_like_Bre.C5.BEnev>
[3] 80+ % abstention according to some estimates, no data available
(also telling about transparency); eligible voters multiplied by 2-3
times, voters stayed the same.
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en#footer>
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/?diff=2643859>
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/?diff=2672174>
[4] 55 people involved counting also vandals.
<http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl?lang=meta.wikimedia&page=Board+elections%2F2011%2FCandidates%2FQuestions%2F1>
<http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl?lang=meta.wikimedia&page=Board+elections%2F2011%2FCandidates%2FQuestions%2F2>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Thomas Dalton
On Feb 17, 2013 8:29 PM, "Itzik Edri" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't understand. The board hired and pays to a company to find a board
> member? Have we tried before via our networks, chapters, and via our
> advisory board to find such a person (as been done until now?).

The chapters are used to find new foundation board members. That's what the
chapter selected board seats are for. The expert board seats are for
providing expertise that we are missing after the community and chapters
have selected people.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Samuel Klein-4
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Indeed there's nothing to be surprised of, m/Oppenheim has always been used.

Actually, the last time we were looking for a new appointed Trustee we
had a NomCom in place and worked with the recruiter Eunice Azzani -
though at the time we were already working with m|Oppenheim for staff
searches.
[ http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/August_24-25,_2009 ]

The trustee we selected in the end, Bishakha, was found through our
(advisory board) network; the recruiters primarily help to handle
initial contact, interviews, and scheduling, and narrowing down the
field of candidates to those who are likely to be good fits.

The person we find this time will also be through our community and
advisor networks.  Please spread the word to those you would like to
see on the Board.

Sam.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

John Mark Vandenberg
For context (because I needed to look it up)..
I believe this vacancy is to replace the seat held by Matt Halprin,
which was not renewed at the end of December 2012.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:CurrentBoardChart

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_of_trustees needs an update too
if Matt has left the board.

The WMF board portal and noticeboard havent been updated

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Board_portal

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2013 8:29 PM, "Itzik Edri" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand. The board hired and pays to a company to find a board
>> member? Have we tried before via our networks, chapters, and via our
>> advisory board to find such a person (as been done until now?).
>
> The chapters are used to find new foundation board members. That's what the
> chapter selected board seats are for. The expert board seats are for
> providing expertise that we are missing after the community and chapters
> have selected people.

Forgive me if the current board has already communicated their plan,
and I have missed it.  Please advise me if there is a published
strategy/plan for filling this seat.  I can only find this note saying
Kat is leading this initiative, and they hope to interview candidates
in person at the chapters conference in the Milan between 18-21 April:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Board_Governance_Committee/Agenda_2012-2013#Successor_for_Matt

Following on from Thomas Dalton's explanation, which I believe is both
accurate and appropriate...

As we are approaching the board election to refill the three community
elected seats, I think it may make sense to avoid appointing someone
to the vacant expert seat until after the community elected seats are
appointed.  Shortening the list of candidates is a good idea for 18-21
April, but the expert seat should used to maximise the skills and
experiences of the board, filling as many gaps in the board as
possible.  Those gaps can't be fully identified until the community
elected seats are filled.

The community elected seats will provide the board with three people
that the community believes are important additions.  In some cases
these seats may be filled by people whose skillsets and experiences
were identified by the community as needed on the board, but the
nature of the process is that skillset balance is hard to control via
these community seats.

The process ensures that many potential candidates do not even enter
the board election, the wiki user interface hamstrings the candidates
who are not well versed in wiki editing and the wiki discussion
format, so these seats typically go to people who have 10,000+ edits
and are well respected in our community, which limits the field quite
a bit.  The community may also vote for someone who has very similar
skills and experience to someone already on the board, and it would be
a very bold board that invalidates the election result on that basis.

The expert seat is an opportunity to select a person based on the
skillset that is found to be missing on the board, and that should
happen _after_ the skills and experience of the three community seats
are locked in by their appointment.

--
John Vandenberg

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

James Salsman-2
Samuel Klein wrote:

>... The person we find this time will also be through our community
> and advisor networks....

Will there be an opportunity for the community to pose questions to
finalists, the answers to which the Board might be able to evaluate in
making a final decision?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Hi

I would not think so. In my experience we end up with candidates who appreciate a confidential process (especially if they get turned down). We have different processes for each of the three different board member types, this is probably the most private one. But if you have questions that you think we should ask: feel free to suggest them here :)

Regards

Jan-Bart de Vreede
Board of Trustees
Wikimedia Foundation

On Feb 18, 2013, at 5:16 AM, James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Samuel Klein wrote:
>>
>> ... The person we find this time will also be through our community
>> and advisor networks....
>
> Will there be an opportunity for the community to pose questions to
> finalists, the answers to which the Board might be able to evaluate in
> making a final decision?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Samuel Klein, 18/02/2013 01:31:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
> wrote:
>> Indeed there's nothing to be surprised of, m/Oppenheim has always been used.
>
> Actually, the last time we were looking for a new appointed Trustee we
> had a NomCom in place and worked with the recruiter Eunice Azzani -
> though at the time we were already working with m|Oppenheim for staff
> searches.
> [ http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/August_24-25,_2009 ]

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean specifically for the board appointment.
It's been clear for some time that the board didn't want to rely on a
open/committee process like NomCom for the final screening of
candidates, so I gave that for granted.
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/53592/>
The work Gayle described is huge and very important, so someone must do
it; but it is supposed not to influence the decision-makers (i.e. the
board directly this time), assuming that criteria for initial screening
are clear.

Nemo

Jan-Bart de Vreede wrote:
> if you have questions that you think we should ask: feel free to suggest them here :)

I have these ten questions:

1. What do you think a reasonable goal for the growth of the Wikimedia
Education Program over the next five years is?

2. Do you believe that the Foundation should establish an endowment?
If so, how large do you think such an endowment should be; in
particular, should the Foundation establish an endowment large enough
to subsist at present staffing levels and growth rates from current
investment grade bond interest rates without accepting additional
donations? If so, over how many years do you think it would be most
appropriate to establish such an endowment?

3. How often do you think the Foundation should propose advocacy
actions to the community? Do you believe the Foundation should survey
the opinion of the community and donors on this question?

4. Should the Foundation meet or exceed Silicon Valley competitive pay
to attract and retain the best talent while competing with firms able
to offer equity participation? Do you believe the Foundation should
survey the opinion of the community and donors on this question? Why
or why not?

5. Should the Foundation establish a system of awarding employee
bonuses in amounts determined by anonymous peer evaluations? Why or
why not?

6. Some proportion of long term project editors are impoverished,
probably within a few percentage points of the impoverished proportion
of the population as a whole. How do you think the Foundation could
best assist impoverished long term volunteers? Do you think it should?
Why or why not?

7. To what extent do you believe the Foundation should reimburse
travel and content development expenses for Wikinews contributors? In
particular, if you were to propose a pilot grant program to grant
travel and expense funds directly to individual Wikinews reporters,
how many such awards would you begin with and how would you measure
their effectiveness?

8. PeerWise is a popular closed-source assessment question and answer
database (http://peerwise.cs.auckland.ac.nz/) used in hundreds of
higher education institutions. Unlike textbooks, traditional courses,
MOOCs, and Moodle-style courses, PeerWise question databases can and
often are populated entirely by learners, with answers reviewed in a
style very similar to wiki content. Do you believe it would be
appropriate for the Foundation to develop an open source version of
PeerWise? Why or why not?

9. Do you believe the Foundation should employ professional fact
checkers who would not edit reader-facing content on the projects, but
who would be available to research questions pertaining to content
disputes at the request of projects' dispute resolution volunteers
(e.g. Wikipedia mediators) to prepare reports to help volunteers
resolve content disputes? Why or why not? Do you believe the
Foundation should survey the opinion of the community and donors on
this question?

10. What is your experience with editing or otherwise supporting
Foundation projects?

Sincerely,
James Salsman

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Hey

Thanks!

I am sure that Alice is grateful for the input. I must confess though that I think that most of these questions require a deep knowledge of the movement and the community and as such disqualify a lot of potential candidates… (I would hazard a guess that none of the past appointed candidates (including myself) were not able to answer 80% of these questions until about 6 months "on the job". So are you proposing these questions to select new candidates or are you simply trying to get attention for these issues (as you have been doing over the past months… which is fair enough to some degree?)

(and to be fair: at this point, with all the experience I have within the movement I would want to see most of these decisions researched before committing to a point of view)

Jan-Bart

On 18 February 2013 08:19, James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have these ten questions:

This is ridiculously inside-baseball stuff. It strikes me as possibly
a bad idea to turn board selection into something like en:wp RFA.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-3
Hi all.

I would like to recommend to see the Brazil case where the recruitment
of the coordinator of the Catalyst Project was done in partnership
with the community

http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/01/11/brazil-recruiting-and-partnership-with-the-community-moves-forward/

After the community noticed the mistake being done in hiring and
expensive and useless headhunter, this was critized
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.brazil/161> and,
fortunately, promptly listened by Wikimedia Foundation people in
charge of the process. The community even had the idea of a more open
and transparent process, where the candidates would engage in a wiki
task - four finalists for the whole process engaged in such task. Also
in the interview with two wikimedians, the 10 candidates could have a
taste of what they would expect. :)

We all saw the dozens of mistakes of this headhunters, that luckly
were solved on time by the community, improving a lot the final
results. Not saying the model shouldn't be adapted and improved, it
must. And after all, no one better than locals to tell about their own
community.

Best,

Tom

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Jan-Bart de Vreede
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> MOOCs, and Moodle-style courses, PeerWise question databases can and
>> often are populated entirely by learners, with answers reviewed in a
>> style very similar to wiki content. Do you believe it would be
>> appropriate for the Foundation to develop an open source version of
>> PeerWise? Why or why not?
>>
>> 9. Do you believe the Foundation should employ professional fact
>> checkers who would not edit reader-facing content on the projects, but
>> who would be available to research questions pertaining to content
>> disputes at the request of projects' dispute resolution volunteers
>> (e.g. Wikipedia mediators) to prepare reports to help volunteers
>> resolve content disputes? Why or why not? Do you believe the
>> Foundation should survey the opinion of the community and donors on
>> this question?
>>
>> 10. What is your experience with editing or otherwise supporting

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Hi

Sounded like good intervention, thanks for reminding me :)

Truth is of course that board Governance Committee is driving this process together with Gayle. That means that multiple community (s)elected board members are involved in the initial screening and that the whole board will be included in the final selection.

This would also be a good opportunity to make a small point: not all external consultancy is evil :) As a community we tend to be naturally suspicious of people that get paid "a lot" of money for tasks that theoretically "could also be done my the community"… There is a good reason why we sometimes rely on paid external advisors, some of which were given by Gayle.

m|Oppenheim in particular has been a great partner in WMF hiring with great results, and I hope that they can be as effective in this search (which we hope you can help out with by suggesting good candidates to them)

Regards

Jan-Bart

On Feb 18, 2013, at 1:23 PM, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> checkers who would not edit reader-facing content on the projects, but
>>> who would be available to research questions pertaining to content
>>> disputes at the request of projects' dispute resolution volunteers
>>> (e.g. Wikipedia mediators) to prepare reports to help volunteers
>>> resolve content disputes? Why or why not? Do you believe the
>>> Foundation should survey the opinion of the community and donors on
>>> this question?
>>>
>>> 10. What is your experience with editing or otherwise supporting
>>> Foundation projects?
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> James Salsman

> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
> useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

sure I didn't mean every external consultancy is evil. Sorry if I
sounded like that. Firstly, the world is not divided between good and
evil, like if we had an axis of evil. :P

Just as an example, the same company I just criticized had a better
performance in another country. Things can vary a lot and I am sure
people in charge of the particular process are aware of that. I just
wanted to remind a particular case that I believe is worth studying.

And I do think sometimes to have an external consultancy can help us
to diminish our own bias.  ;)

Tom

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Your support is wanted: The WMF Board of Trustees is looking for a new Board member

cyrano
I don't think it's about childish beliefs about "evil". Money has a real
influence, conflicts of interests are a real thing, and opacity at any
stage allow abuses. It has been shown countless times in countless
situations, empirically and scientifically, that people in power WILL
use it to keep it, as much as they can.
When an entity is using its influence to determine who will supervise
it, it's a matter of keeping the power of self-determination. You may
agree or not with this strategy, but there is no way to lift doubts
about the fairness of such appointment and obtain a clean cut legitimacy
from such premises.

Cheers.