[Wikimedia-l] adding visual search for Wikipedia

[Wikimedia-l] adding visual search for Wikipedia

Tomás O'Hara
Hi, here's a link to a proposal I have for adding visual search to
Wikipedia:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Use_visual_search_frontend_for_Wikipedia
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Use_visual_search_frontend_for_Wikipedia#Proposed_by>

(This was created with user ID: tomasohara
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User:Tomasohara>.) I can move it into a
better location if desired as it as not a "sister project" proper. The
Proposals
for new projects
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects> page doesn't
offer suggestions for alternative postings, so I left it there for now.

Below is a copy of the project overview. See the link above for details on
how this can be applied to foreign language wikipedias. Note that most can
be supported right "out of the box" except for the text categorization used
to select images for documents without images. A Wikipedia-specific way to
do this might be possible (e.g., based on the hierarchy of pages).

Best,
Tom

---------

It would be good for Wikipedia to use a general-purpose visual search front
end. Note that a big incentive for this is that users will be drawn to
Wikipedia to use this type of search rather than Google Search or Bing.
This would be beneficial because these search engines often show Wikipedia
content for popular entities like sports stars or tourist attractions,
which cuts down on Wikipedia traffic.

You will be able to use the visual search frontend I developed without
charge for the duration of my patent in the works (a la license free). Here
is a link to an example with Wikipedia search on left and my Scrappy Search
on right:

http://www.scrappycito.com/wikipedia-vs-scrappy-search-small
-dog-breeds-en-wiki-site.png

Two other examples illustrate some added benefits of this visual search
with respect to Wikipedia. First, disambiguation becomes based on images
and keywords rather than just snippets of text. See the following:

http://www.scrappycito.com/wikipedia-vs-scrappy-search-bob-j
ones-en-wiki-site.png

In addition, links to other pages for the same entity become much more
engaging:

http://www.scrappycito.com/wikipedia-vs-scrappy-search-taylo
r-swift-en-wiki-site.png

See http://www.scrappycito.com for the stable version of the system and
http://www.tomasohara.trade:9330 for the work-in-progress version. The
latter has support for handheld devices and also better aesthetics (n.b.,
version used in examples).

I think this will be extremely popular with the Instagram crowd and younger
users in general (e.g., younger than 30). To do similar Wikipedia-specific
searches with the visual search front end, just add *site:en.wikipedia.org
<http://en.wikipedia.org>* to the query*,* as in following example:

Lionel Messi  site:en.wikipedia.org

Scrappy Search uses the Google search API, so all of the search operators
<https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433?hl=en> are supported.

The patent for this visual search will be owned by my company ScrappyCito,
LLC. If the company gets acquired, I will require that they honor the
license-free usage of the visual search system by Wikimedia for Wikipedia.
(They will likewise be required to pass along this license-free usage
requirement if they in turn are acquired). You will have access to the
current source code for use in Wikipedia and other approved projects.

I am doing this both for exposure and because I want to help keep Wikipedia
viable (e.g., by enabling higher traffic). This is a great way for users to
browse the encyclopedia, so it can keep users on the Wikipedia domain
longer.

If this sounds interesting, I can develop a prototype for the Simple
English Wikipedia for use on one of my servers. After review, I help with
the deployment for the regular English Wikipedia on your servers once
approved.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] adding visual search for Wikipedia

Jeremy Lee-Jenkins
Tom O'Hara,

I foresee several problems with your proposal.

a) The Wikimedia Foundation itself spent a very large amount of money
building something essentially the same which was rejected by the community
and abandoned.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Engine_(Wikimedia_Foundation)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Engine_(Wikimedia_Foundation)>

b) Your proposal is for a proprietary software to be added to the core
Mediawiki software of Wikipedia. The Wikimedia Foundation is notorious for
never using third-party proprietary software.

c) The design is still in the stone age when compared to Bing/Google, so
would not necessarily compete well to attract the target demographic.

d) The search bar at https://www.wikipedia.org/ already has images in a
kind of drop-down search suggestions function, this is nice, but has not
become very popular.

I would actually suggest you go down the route of offering it as an
extension on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Extensions

Warm Regards

Jeremy Lee-Jenkins