[Wikimedia-l] dmoz.org

carl hansen
I see dmoz.org is going offline in few days after a couple decades. It is a
community-written project. Will it be absorbed into wikidata? Sort of a
snapshot-in-time of the web. Get it while you can, at  http://rdf.dmoz.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] dmoz.org

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
It is not going to be absorbed in Wikidata. We did not even do that for
Freebase to my regret.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 12 March 2017 at 09:03, carl hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see dmoz.org is going offline in few days after a couple decades. It is
> community-written project. Will it be absorbed into wikidata? Sort of a
> snapshot-in-time of the web. Get it while you can, at
> http://rdf.dmoz.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] dmoz.org

carl hansen
On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:43 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hoi,
> It is not going to be absorbed in Wikidata. We did not even do that for
> Freebase to my regret.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>
> On 12 March 2017 at 09:03, carl hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I see dmoz.org is going offline in few days after a couple decades. It
> is
> > community-written project. Will it be absorbed into wikidata? Sort of a
> > snapshot-in-time of the web. Get it while you can, at
> > http://rdf.dmoz.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] dmoz.org

Rogol Domedonfors
I wonder if there's a lesson for other knowledge projects here ...

"Rogol"

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 8:03 AM, carl hansen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I see dmoz.org is going offline in few days after a couple decades. It is
> community-written project. Will it be absorbed into wikidata? Sort of a
> snapshot-in-time of the web. Get it while you can, at
> http://rdf.dmoz.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] dmoz.org

jmh649
Gah really :-( DMOZ was super useful for dealing with linkspam on
Wikipedia. Would often just link to them for the external links and allow
them to take care of the issues.

James

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 3:33 AM, carl hansen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:43 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > It is not going to be absorbed in Wikidata. We did not even do that for
> > Freebase to my regret.
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >
> > On 12 March 2017 at 09:03, carl hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I see dmoz.org is going offline in few days after a couple decades. It
> > is
> > > community-written project. Will it be absorbed into wikidata? Sort of a
> > > snapshot-in-time of the web. Get it while you can, at
> > > http://rdf.dmoz.org/

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] dmoz.org

jmh649
IMO this is something we should absorb into the WMF family of sites. Should
not be too hard to format as a wiki. Not sure how big their community is.
Anyone have any idea?

James

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 8:54 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gah really :-( DMOZ was super useful for dealing with linkspam on
> Wikipedia. Would often just link to them for the external links and allow
> them to take care of the issues.
>
> James
>
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 3:33 AM, carl hansen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:43 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
>> [hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Hoi,
>> > It is not going to be absorbed in Wikidata. We did not even do that for
>> > Freebase to my regret.
>> > Thanks,
>> >       GerardM

>> It
>> > is

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] dmoz.org

Rogol Domedonfors
It might be as well to understand why ODP folded and whether there is
likely to be volunteer effort available for its continuation before
spending time effort and money on reconstituting it as a WMF project.

"Rogol"

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 2:56 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> IMO this is something we should absorb into the WMF family of sites. Should
> not be too hard to format as a wiki. Not sure how big their community is.
> Anyone have any idea?
>
> James
>
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 8:54 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Gah really :-( DMOZ was super useful for dealing with linkspam on
> > Wikipedia. Would often just link to them for the external links and allow
> > them to take care of the issues.
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 3:33 AM, carl hansen <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:43 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> >> [hidden email]

> for

> >> It
> of

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> >

> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] dmoz.org

Andy Mabbett-2
On 12 March 2017 at 08:03, carl hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see dmoz.org is going offline in few days after a couple decades. It is a
> community-written project. Will it be absorbed into wikidata? Sort of a
> snapshot-in-time of the web.

Archive.org has it:

    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/Europe/United_Kingdom/Recreation_and_Sports/Home_and_Garden/Gardening/Gardens/Private_Gardens/

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] dmoz.org

jmh649
Okay we will simple need to change the DMOZ template to point to archive.org
I guess.