[Wikimedia-l] [feedback requested] Taxonomy of knowledge gaps

[Wikimedia-l] [feedback requested] Taxonomy of knowledge gaps

Leila Zia-2
Hi all,

I hope this email finds you well.

I'm reaching out to let you know that the Research team [1] at the
Wikimedia Foundation has been working on developing a taxonomy of
knowledge gaps for the Wikimedia projects. We now have the first draft
of the taxonomy ready and we're seeking your input to improve it.

==Why are we contacting you?==
The taxonomy of knowledge gaps aims to be a high level representation
and grouping of the different knowledge gaps Wikimedia projects face
today. Each of you, whether you are a volunteer editor, patroller,
organizer, affiliate, etc. have valuable on the ground knowledge of
the different types of knowledge gaps. We believe it's important to
hear from you before we finalize the taxonomy.

==Material==
The material you may need to review is listed at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Knowledge_Gaps_Index/Taxonomy#Learn_more!
. I will list them below as well, for archive completeness:

* A summary of the taxonomy and motivation:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Knowledge_Gaps_Taxonomy_Summary-and-Motivation.pdf

* Full paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2008.12314

* A video presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP3uXA9bfvU or
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Knowledge_Gaps_Taxonomy.mp4.webm
(same video on two platforms)

==Feedback==
Please provide your feedback by answering the 6 questions posted at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Knowledge_Gaps_Index/Taxonomy#Feedback_collection_September_2020
.

We're collecting feedback until 2020-09-30.

==Talk with us==
If you have questions about the taxonomy and you'd like to talk with
us in a synchronous set-up, we invite you to join us in the upcoming
Research Showcase
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase#September_2020
. We will have a very short presentation about it and will leave 15-20
min for any questions you may have. We are also happy to set up more
time to answer your questions if there is demand for it.

==Disclaimer==
As you're going through the material we have shared with you, you will
see imperfections and rooms for improvement. I acknowledge that they
exist and they may be numerous. We could spend another month and
improve the documents. We made the call to not let perfect be the
enemy of good. Please keep that in mind, assume good faith, and ask
questions if any part of what you read is not clear to you. We're here
to engage and answer your questions, and ultimately learn about your
perspective.

Thank you!

Leila, on behalf of
Martin Gerlach, Research Scientist, WMF
Isaac Johnson, Research Scientist, WMF
Miriam Redi, Senior Research Scientist, WMF
Leila Zia, Head of Research, WMF

[1] https://research.wikimedia.org/team.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [feedback requested] Taxonomy of knowledge gaps

metasj
Wow.  Thanks for doing this.
 a) did you mine emijrp's subconscious yet?
 b) what meta-gaps are you aware of (areas where the gap analysis itself
might have blind spots)
 c) this seems appropriate for a wikijournal
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiJournal> of knowledge...

🌍🌏🌎🌑

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 6:48 PM Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> As you're going through the material we have shared with you, you will
> see imperfections and rooms for improvement. I acknowledge that they
> exist and they may be numerous. We could spend another month and
> improve the documents. We made the call to not let perfect be the
> enemy of good. Please keep that in mind, assume good faith, and ask
> questions if any part of what you read is not clear to you. We're here
> to engage and answer your questions, and ultimately learn about your
> perspective.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Leila, on behalf of
> Martin Gerlach, Research Scientist, WMF
> Isaac Johnson, Research Scientist, WMF
> Miriam Redi, Senior Research Scientist, WMF
> Leila Zia, Head of Research, WMF
>
> [1] https://research.wikimedia.org/team.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [feedback requested] Taxonomy of knowledge gaps

Hi SJ,

Please see below.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 2:15 PM Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow.  Thanks for doing this.
>  a) did you mine emijrp's subconscious yet?

(I assume you are referring to their work in
https://github.com/emijrp/all-human-knowledge .)

We indeed reviewed the work as a source. There are two aspects in emijrp's
work that are very helpful: 1) what constitutes a content gap? 2) how to
measure it?

Now that you mentioned it: I'll reach out to them to seek their feedback
more actively. thanks!

>  b) what meta-gaps are you aware of (areas where the gap analysis itself
> might have blind spots)

This is a great question. I have some answers for you; we will talk as a
team and get back to you on this.

>  c) this seems appropriate for a wikijournal
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiJournal> of knowledge...

noted down.

> [...]
> > As you're going through the material we have shared with you, you will
> > see imperfections and rooms for improvement. I acknowledge that they
> > exist and they may be numerous. We could spend another month and
> > improve the documents. We made the call to not let perfect be the
> > enemy of good. Please keep that in mind, assume good faith, and ask
> > questions if any part of what you read is not clear to you. We're here
> > to engage and answer your questions, and ultimately learn about your
> > perspective.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Leila, on behalf of
> > Martin Gerlach, Research Scientist, WMF
> > Isaac Johnson, Research Scientist, WMF
> > Miriam Redi, Senior Research Scientist, WMF
> > Leila Zia, Head of Research, WMF
> >
> > [1] https://research.wikimedia.org/team.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [feedback requested] Taxonomy of knowledge gaps

I'd like to give an update about where we are and what's next.

* We are one week in the feedback collection. You have almost 2 more
weeks if you're interested to provide feedback.

* A big thank you to those of you who have already started engaging
with the feedback process and thanks to those of you who intend to do
it. We know this is no small ask and we appreciate your generosity to
share your perspectives with us and help us improve the work. You can
share your feedback at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Knowledge_Gaps_Index/Taxonomy#Feedback_collection_September_2020
.

* For those of you who are interested to talk with us in a more high
bandwidth set-up where we can do more back-and-forths: we have
dedicated our upcoming Research Showcase to this topic. You will hear
a presentation about this work followed by at least 30-min time for
Q&A. More information in a separate email sent about the showcase and
at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase#September_2020
.

If you have questions, please let us know. (SJ: we have not forgotten
you. We still intend to get back to you.)

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 3:47 PM Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> As you're going through the material we have shared with you, you will
> see imperfections and rooms for improvement. I acknowledge that they
> exist and they may be numerous. We could spend another month and
> improve the documents. We made the call to not let perfect be the
> enemy of good. Please keep that in mind, assume good faith, and ask
> questions if any part of what you read is not clear to you. We're here
> to engage and answer your questions, and ultimately learn about your
> perspective.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Leila, on behalf of
> Martin Gerlach, Research Scientist, WMF
> Isaac Johnson, Research Scientist, WMF
> Miriam Redi, Senior Research Scientist, WMF
> Leila Zia, Head of Research, WMF
>
> [1] https://research.wikimedia.org/team.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [feedback requested] Taxonomy of knowledge gaps

* I made a note for us to address your question about the meta-gaps as
part of the update to the taxonomy paper:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Research_talk:Knowledge_Gaps_Index/Taxonomy&type=revision&diff=20480121&oldid=20477349&diffmode=source

* We did get a chance to discuss this as a team. Here is what I heard:
** We all think this is an important point you have raised. Thank you!
We will think more about it and if you have ideas about such
meta-gaps, please tell us (ideally in the meta page where we're
collecting feedback).
** One meta-gap that quickly surfaced was our (over?)reliance on past
research and documentation that is written in English. When we look
for references, by default we look for those in English, even when
collectively in the team we speak French, German, Italian, Spanish,
Persian, and Portuguese, (if not more), too.

This answer is complete. I'm sending it your way just so you know we
will think more, your thoughts are welcome, and we will add this to
the final taxonomy documentation.

Thanks,
Leila

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 1:46 PM Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > As you're going through the material we have shared with you, you will
>> > see imperfections and rooms for improvement. I acknowledge that they
>> > exist and they may be numerous. We could spend another month and
>> > improve the documents. We made the call to not let perfect be the
>> > enemy of good. Please keep that in mind, assume good faith, and ask
>> > questions if any part of what you read is not clear to you. We're here
>> > to engage and answer your questions, and ultimately learn about your
>> > perspective.
>> >
>> > Thank you!
>> >
>> > Leila, on behalf of
>> > Martin Gerlach, Research Scientist, WMF
>> > Isaac Johnson, Research Scientist, WMF
>> > Miriam Redi, Senior Research Scientist, WMF
>> > Leila Zia, Head of Research, WMF
>> >
>> > [1] https://research.wikimedia.org/team.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [feedback requested] Taxonomy of knowledge gaps

Thank you Leila -- I appreciate the reflection and the update here.  The
paper is thorough and methodical in its approach, which makes it easier for
me to see a problem (for my own ideas):

I don't see a focus on the primary tremendous *gaps *-- which for content
is depth + breadth + freshness, and for contributors is reach, and for
readers is reach in much of the world.
I do see an excellent discussion of systemic *bias*, but mostly treated as
*static* bias of what is there, and less *dynamic* bias of what we exclude
or disallow or discourage.

I left detailed feedback on meta
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Knowledge_Gaps_Index/Taxonomy#Alternatives>.
I would welcome any help in aligning the way I think about this w/  your
work (if that's desired).
Perhaps best to address there, since it is all about refactoring and may
benefit from that.  But I am posting the heart of it below for completeness:

===
Here are the first things I think of around coverage gaps.  Only the 0th
item seems to directly fit the current taxonomy...

0) exclusion via lack of awareness, interest, or expertise
1) exclusion via deletionism
2) exclusion via topic notability norms (including pop culture + current
events)
3) exclusion via source notability + limiting source formats
4) exclusion via license pessimism
5) exclusion via file format (!) and codec pessimism
6) exclusion of dense specialist knowledge via review bottlenecks
7) exclusion via knowledge type [model, dataset, map layer]
8) exclusion / rejection via behavior on the projects
9) exclusion / rejection under 1-4 via differential application of policy

Some of these, like file-format and review-bottleneck exclusion, are
primarily technical restrictions.
Some of these, like the first ~4 above, are social+regulatory+technical
restrictions that could be alleviated with simple tools (including
extensions, alternatives, and sandboxes) -- just as nupedia's social
restrictions were alleviated w/ the technical solution of a wiki for the
drafting stage.
And the last two are purely social restrictions, projecting systemic bias
in the community of practice onto who joins and what contributions are
welcomed. I'd like to see that subset of gaps addressed directly, and not
split up across other parts of a taxonomy.

===
Wiki♥, Sam.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [feedback requested] Taxonomy of knowledge gaps

Peter Southwood
Good points.
Are these maybe covered in a future stage of the project?
Cheers,
Peter

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [feedback requested] Taxonomy of knowledge gaps

Leila Zia-2
All: Thanks to those of you who have provided your feedback.

This is your last friendly reminder. If you'd like to share your
thoughts and feedback with us about the taxonomy of knowledge gap
work, the official deadline for it is 2020-09-30 (Anytime on Earth;).
Our team is going to be heads down working on a couple of other
projects in the week of October 5. This means, if you wanted to
provide feedback to us and you didn't get a chance, you're more than
welcome to do so on or before October 11. We're collecting your
feedback at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Knowledge_Gaps_Index/Taxonomy#Feedback_collection_September_2020
.

Sam, Thanks for sharing your feedback here and
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Knowledge_Gaps_Index/Taxonomy#General_feedback
. Someone from our team or I will write to you more on the meta page.

Peter, I hope you don't mind if we continue the conversation with Sam
on the meta page now that the content is in both places. I see you've
started asking questions from SJ there.

Thanks all!

Leila

Leila Zia