[Wikimedia-l] images deletedfrom WikiCommons

[Wikimedia-l] images deletedfrom WikiCommons

Michal Lester
Hi,

As some of you know, images are been deleted in the past month from
WikiCommons due to a change in the ruling of the United States Supreme
Court. (The case of Golan v. Holder, confirming the legality of the URAA,
has restored copyright status to foreign works that were placed in the
public domain after January 1, 1996).  Court ruling brought WikiCommons
volunteers to delete images that do not meet the new guideline.
Consequently, Israeli images were deleted even though the Israeli law
releases them into the public domain.

We wrote to the legal department of the Foundation to alert about the
situation. The department has posted a legal
opinion<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilegal/Use_of_Foreign_Works_Restored_under_the_URAA_on_Commons>
on
the subject following our inquiry.

WMIL is going to turn to the Minister of Justice and seek for written
statement that confirm that images released by the State of Israel to the
public domain may be used freely around the world. We hope that WikiCommons
operators rely on the letter and will not delete more images.

It will be great if other chapters will update if they encountered the
problem and what you intend to do.

All the best

Michal
--

Michal Lester

Executive Director

Wikimedia Israel

http://www.wikimedia.org.il/         050-8996046

sum of all knowledge. **That's our commitment.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] images deletedfrom WikiCommons

Ting Chen-2
Great move WMIL.

This is I think an excellent example of great chapter work.

Greetings
Ting

Am 29.12.2013 06:19, schrieb Michal Lester:

> Hi,
>

> As some of you know, images are been deleted in the past month from
> WikiCommons due to a change in the ruling of the United States Supreme
> Court. (The case of Golan v. Holder, confirming the legality of the URAA,
> has restored copyright status to foreign works that were placed in the
> public domain after January 1, 1996).  Court ruling brought WikiCommons
> volunteers to delete images that do not meet the new guideline.
> Consequently, Israeli images were deleted even though the Israeli law
> releases them into the public domain.
>
> We wrote to the legal department of the Foundation to alert about the
> situation. The department has posted a legal
> opinion<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilegal/Use_of_Foreign_Works_Restored_under_the_URAA_on_Commons>
> on
> the subject following our inquiry.
>
> WMIL is going to turn to the Minister of Justice and seek for written
> statement that confirm that images released by the State of Israel to the
> public domain may be used freely around the world. We hope that WikiCommons
> operators rely on the letter and will not delete more images.
>
> It will be great if other chapters will update if they encountered the
> problem and what you intend to do.
>

> All the best
>
> Michal

Re: [Wikimedia-l] images deletedfrom WikiCommons

Michael Maggs
Hi Michal

I have picked up on your initiative, and have made a proposal on Commons:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hosting_of_content_released_to_the_global_public_domain

Could you take a look at it?

Michael

_____