[Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

[Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Leinonen Teemu
Hello people,

Just an idea. Number of Syrian refugees is over 4,000,000 people, mostly residing in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.[1] Refugee camps are set in all in these countries.[2]

Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37 languages, a library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide mapping down to street level.”

Could we as a movement get the internet-in-a-box to the refugee camps?

        - Teemu

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_refugee_camps
[3] http://internet-in-a-box.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Jane Darnell
Good idea. I watched a report on TV where they said some refugees have been
waiting for years for processing. It would be nice for them to be able to
use and maybe contribute to Wikipedia while they are waiting. Maybe we
should set up edit-a-thons and wikiclasses about life in Europe and the
politics of the crisis, for the refugees and the Europeans both!

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> Just an idea. Number of Syrian refugees is over 4,000,000 people, mostly
> residing in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.[1] Refugee camps are set in
> all in these countries.[2]
>
> Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37 languages, a
> library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and
> source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide
> mapping down to street level.”
>
> Could we as a movement get the internet-in-a-box to the refugee camps?
>
>         - Teemu
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_refugee_camps
> [3] http://internet-in-a-box.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Comet styles
contrary to the name, it doesn't actually have 'internet access'
..they can read, but not contribute..

On 9/8/15, Jane Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good idea. I watched a report on TV where they said some refugees have been
> waiting for years for processing. It would be nice for them to be able to
> use and maybe contribute to Wikipedia while they are waiting. Maybe we
> should set up edit-a-thons and wikiclasses about life in Europe and the
> politics of the crisis, for the refugees and the Europeans both!
>
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello people,
>>
>> Just an idea. Number of Syrian refugees is over 4,000,000 people, mostly
>> residing in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.[1] Refugee camps are set in
>> all in these countries.[2]
>>
>> Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37 languages, a
>> library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and
>> source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide
>> mapping down to street level.”
>>
>> Could we as a movement get the internet-in-a-box to the refugee camps?
>>
>>         - Teemu
>>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
>> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_refugee_camps
>> [3] http://internet-in-a-box.org

Cometstyles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Tomasz Ganicz
Well.. this is imaginable scale - I don't think if WMF have enough
resources to provide free internet to such a huge group of people packed in
a number of huge camps sometimes without basic facilities such as
electricity... See the picture of just one camp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_Aerial_View_of_the_Za'atri_Refugee_Camp.jpg

Syrian people live in camps in Lebanon and Turkey for third year (since
2012)... There is even not enough basic schools and simple paper textbooks
for children...

> Hello people,
>
> Just an idea. Number of Syrian refugees is over 4,000,000 people, mostly
> residing in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.[1] Refugee camps are set in
> all in these countries.[2]
>
> Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37 languages, a
> library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and
> source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide
> mapping down to street level.”
>
> Could we as a movement get the internet-in-a-box to the refugee camps?
>
>         - Teemu
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_refugee_camps
> [3] http://internet-in-a-box.org

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Jane Darnell
all they need is wifi to connect to the box I think, so it would be just
one box not connected to the internet with a wifi access.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/surprised-that-syrian-refugees-have-smartphones-well-sorry-to-break-this-to-you-but-youre-an-idiot-10489719.html?cmpid=facebook-post

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well.. this is imaginable scale - I don't think if WMF have enough
> resources to provide free internet to such a huge group of people packed in
> a number of huge camps sometimes without basic facilities such as
> electricity... See the picture of just one camp:
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_Aerial_View_of_the_Za'atri_Refugee_Camp.jpg
>
> Syrian people live in camps in Lebanon and Turkey for third year (since
> 2012)... There is even not enough basic schools and simple paper textbooks
> for children...

> > Hello people,
> >
> > Just an idea. Number of Syrian refugees is over 4,000,000 people, mostly
> > residing in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.[1] Refugee camps are set in
> > all in these countries.[2]
> >
> > Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37 languages,
> > library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and
> > source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide
> > mapping down to street level.”
> >
> > Could we as a movement get the internet-in-a-box to the refugee camps?
> >
> >         - Teemu
> >
> > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
> > [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_refugee_camps
> > [3] http://internet-in-a-box.org

> Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
> http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
> http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
> http://www.cbmm.lodz.pl/work.php?id=29&title=tomasz-ganicz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Leinonen Teemu
Hi all,

Right, Jane. The ”box" is not connected to the internet but is a mass storage with WiFi. People can access the content saved to the device with their mobile phones.

There are initiatives to provide Internet connections to the refugee camps, as it is nowadays relatively high in a priority list (probably right after the sanitation, water, food, health services and electricity). Still, I am afraid that there are many less well-organized refugee camps where there are no internet connection. In these locations thousands of people could find the offline content, such as the one provided by the internet-in-box very useful.

This would be a nice way to realize our mission "to disseminate educational content effectively and globally".

        - Teemu

PS. In general I am against offline-Wikipedia but exceptional situations need exceptional solutions.

> On 8.9.2015, at 10.13, Jane Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> all they need is wifi to connect to the box I think, so it would be just
> one box not connected to the internet with a wifi access.
> http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/surprised-that-syrian-refugees-have-smartphones-well-sorry-to-break-this-to-you-but-youre-an-idiot-10489719.html?cmpid=facebook-post
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well.. this is imaginable scale - I don't think if WMF have enough
>> resources to provide free internet to such a huge group of people packed in
>> a number of huge camps sometimes without basic facilities such as
>> electricity... See the picture of just one camp:
>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_Aerial_View_of_the_Za'atri_Refugee_Camp.jpg
>>
>> Syrian people live in camps in Lebanon and Turkey for third year (since
>> 2012)... There is even not enough basic schools and simple paper textbooks
>> for children...

>>> Hello people,
>>>
>>> Just an idea. Number of Syrian refugees is over 4,000,000 people, mostly
>>> residing in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.[1] Refugee camps are set in
>>> all in these countries.[2]
>>>
>>> Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37 languages,
>>> library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and
>>> source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide
>>> mapping down to street level.”
>>>
>>> Could we as a movement get the internet-in-a-box to the refugee camps?
>>>
>>>        - Teemu
>>>
>>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
>>> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_refugee_camps
>>> [3] http://internet-in-a-box.org

>> --
>> Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
>> http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
>> http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
>> http://www.cbmm.lodz.pl/work.php?id=29&title=tomasz-ganicz

Teemu Leinonen
http://teemuleinonen.fi
+358 50 351 6796
Media Lab
http://mlab.uiah.fi
Aalto University
School of Arts, Design and Architecture

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Stevie Benton
I think in some situations Kiwix <http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Main_Page> can
be a really good option. This might be one of them.

Alternatively, is Wikipedia Zero active in countries such as Yemen, Syria
and Libya? If so, perhaps it is worth co-ordinating with some disaster
relief NGOs such as MSF, Red Cross and Oxfam?

Teemu, thanks for raising this important issue.

Steve

On 8 September 2015 at 10:46, Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Right, Jane. The ”box" is not connected to the internet but is a mass
> storage with WiFi. People can access the content saved to the device with
> their mobile phones.
>
> There are initiatives to provide Internet connections to the refugee
> camps, as it is nowadays relatively high in a priority list (probably right
> after the sanitation, water, food, health services and electricity). Still,
> I am afraid that there are many less well-organized refugee camps where
> there are no internet connection. In these locations thousands of people
> could find the offline content, such as the one provided by the
> internet-in-box very useful.
>
> This would be a nice way to realize our mission "to disseminate
> educational content effectively and globally".
>
>         - Teemu
>
> PS. In general I am against offline-Wikipedia but exceptional situations
> need exceptional solutions.
>
> > On 8.9.2015, at 10.13, Jane Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > all they need is wifi to connect to the box I think, so it would be just
> > one box not connected to the internet with a wifi access.
> >
> http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/surprised-that-syrian-refugees-have-smartphones-well-sorry-to-break-this-to-you-but-youre-an-idiot-10489719.html?cmpid=facebook-post
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Well.. this is imaginable scale - I don't think if WMF have enough
> >> resources to provide free internet to such a huge group of people
> packed in
> >> a number of huge camps sometimes without basic facilities such as
> >> electricity... See the picture of just one camp:
> >>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_Aerial_View_of_the_Za'atri_Refugee_Camp.jpg
> >>
> >> Syrian people live in camps in Lebanon and Turkey for third year (since
> >> 2012)... There is even not enough basic schools and simple paper
> textbooks
> >> for children...

> mostly
> in

> languages,

> >> --
> >> Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
> >> http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
> >> http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
> >> http://www.cbmm.lodz.pl/work.php?id=29&title=tomasz-ganicz

> Teemu Leinonen
> http://teemuleinonen.fi
> +358 50 351 6796
> Media Lab
> http://mlab.uiah.fi
> Aalto University
> School of Arts, Design and Architecture

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Emmanuel Engelhart-5
On 08.09.2015 11:52, Stevie Benton wrote:
> I think in some situations Kiwix <http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Main_Page> can
> be a really good option. This might be one of them.

Yes, this has already been done a few times in the past with Kiwix-plug,
a small device you just need to plug and you get a whole offline library
(with Wikipedia, Gutenberg library, youtube videos, etc...). See:
http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Kiwix-plug.

Wikimedia CH prepares&sends Kiwix-Plugs to NGOs which need it.

Emmanuel
--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Jane Darnell
I think it is a a *very* good idea, but I think anything involving hardware
can't be sponsored by WMF

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Right, Jane. The ”box" is not connected to the internet but is a mass
> storage with WiFi. People can access the content saved to the device with
> their mobile phones.
>
> There are initiatives to provide Internet connections to the refugee
> camps, as it is nowadays relatively high in a priority list (probably right
> after the sanitation, water, food, health services and electricity). Still,
> I am afraid that there are many less well-organized refugee camps where
> there are no internet connection. In these locations thousands of people
> could find the offline content, such as the one provided by the
> internet-in-box very useful.
>
> This would be a nice way to realize our mission "to disseminate
> educational content effectively and globally".
>
>         - Teemu
>
> PS. In general I am against offline-Wikipedia but exceptional situations
> need exceptional solutions.
>
> > On 8.9.2015, at 10.13, Jane Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > all they need is wifi to connect to the box I think, so it would be just
> > one box not connected to the internet with a wifi access.
> >
> http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/surprised-that-syrian-refugees-have-smartphones-well-sorry-to-break-this-to-you-but-youre-an-idiot-10489719.html?cmpid=facebook-post
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Well.. this is imaginable scale - I don't think if WMF have enough
> >> resources to provide free internet to such a huge group of people
> packed in
> >> a number of huge camps sometimes without basic facilities such as
> >> electricity... See the picture of just one camp:
> >>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_Aerial_View_of_the_Za'atri_Refugee_Camp.jpg
> >>
> >> Syrian people live in camps in Lebanon and Turkey for third year (since
> >> 2012)... There is even not enough basic schools and simple paper
> textbooks
> >> for children...

> mostly
> in

> languages,

> >> --
> >> Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
> >> http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
> >> http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
> >> http://www.cbmm.lodz.pl/work.php?id=29&title=tomasz-ganicz

> Teemu Leinonen
> http://teemuleinonen.fi
> +358 50 351 6796
> Media Lab
> http://mlab.uiah.fi
> Aalto University
> School of Arts, Design and Architecture

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Pine W
Just a thought: would the European chapters, or a single European chapter,
be willing to fundraise for this project?

Also, in Seattle we have at least one charity that provides or donates
basic computer hardware. I imagine that other cities have similar
charities. Perhaps a European chapter could get donated hardware from such
a charity, so that the only costs to the chapter would be shipping and
labor.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Keegan Peterzell
On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a thought: would the European chapters, or a single European chapter,
> be willing to fundraise for this project?
>
> Also, in Seattle we have at least one charity that provides or donates
> basic computer hardware. I imagine that other cities have similar
> charities. Perhaps a European chapter could get donated hardware from such
> a charity, so that the only costs to the chapter would be shipping and
> labor.

​That would be cool.

However, before we get all excited with plans, it might be important for
someone who is interested to contact the project lead and see if
internet-in-a-box is even still active. The website hasn't been regularly
updated since April of 2013. If there are no resources available from the
project still then it's back to square one.​

--
~Keegan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

This is my personal email address. Everything sent from this email address
is in a personal capacity.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Pine W
Just a reminder that Siko and company are in the middle of a major refresh
of  Community Resources. See
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Reimagining_WMF_grants

Pine

On 8.9.2015, at 20.04, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> However, before we get all excited with plans, it might be important for
> someone who is interested to contact the project lead and see if
> internet-in-a-box is even still active. The website hasn't been regularly
> updated since April of 2013. If there are no resources available from the
> project still then it's back to square one.​

Right. I think we should not go with the internet-in-a-box, but rather with the Kiwix. See: http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Kiwix-plug

        - Teemu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Tito Dutta
Excellent points Steve.
On Sep 8, 2015 3:23 PM, "Stevie Benton" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > Aalto University
> > School of Arts, Design and Architecture

> Stevie Benton
> Head of External Relations
> Wikimedia UK
> +44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
> @StevieBenton
>
> Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
> and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
> Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
> London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
> global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
> Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> *Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
> control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Really sorry for the typo, read it "Stevie"

(Messages sent using Android)
wrote:

> [...]
> > Aalto University
> > School of Arts, Design and Architecture

> Stevie Benton
> Head of External Relations
> Wikimedia UK
> +44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
> @StevieBenton
>
> Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
> and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
> Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
> London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
> global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
> Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> *Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
> control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Neil Patel Quinn
This reminds me of several conversations I had with Barbara Schack of
Libraries Without Borders [1] at the Lyon hackathon (I've copied her on
this email).

They've developed the Ideas Box [2], a portable media center intended for
locations like refugee camps. It's similar to the Internet-in-a-Box,
although it takes the concept further by including client devices, toys,
and furniture as well as an offline content server (it's really quite
cool). As you'd imagine, the Ideas Box includes read access to downloaded
Wikipedia content; however, Barbara told me she wanted Ideas Box users to
have the opportunity to contribute as well as simply read, and asked us
what it would take to make that possible.

We talked about it a good deal and had a brainstorming workshop on the
subject; I recorded many of the ideas in Phabricator [3]. The technical
challenges are significant, so I don't think anybody has pursued the
project since then. However, if anyone out there wants to work on bridging
this aspect of the digital divide, I'm sure Barbara would be excited to
work with you!

[1]: http://www.librarieswithoutborders.org/
[2]: http://www.ideas-box.org/en/
[3]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100154

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Comet styles <[hidden email]> wrote

> contrary to the name, it doesn't actually have 'internet access'
> ..they can read, but not contribute..
>
> On 9/8/15, Jane Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Good idea. I watched a report on TV where they said some refugees have
> been
> > waiting for years for processing. It would be nice for them to be able to
> > use and maybe contribute to Wikipedia while they are waiting. Maybe we
> > should set up edit-a-thons and wikiclasses about life in Europe and the
> > politics of the crisis, for the refugees and the Europeans both!
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello people,
> >>
> >> Just an idea. Number of Syrian refugees is over 4,000,000 people, mostly
> >> residing in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.[1] Refugee camps are set
> in
> >> all in these countries.[2]
> >>
> >> Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37
> languages, a
> >> library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and
> >> source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide
> >> mapping down to street level.”
> >>
> >> Could we as a movement get the internet-in-a-box to the refugee camps?
> >>
> >>         - Teemu
> >>
> >> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
> >> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_refugee_camps
> >> [3] http://internet-in-a-box.org

> Cometstyles

Neil P. Quinn <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Neil_P._Quinn-WMF>,
product analyst

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Steven Walling
Offline access is a nice idea, but the logistics of delivery seem daunting.
Thankfully, a large number of refugees and migrants have smartphones.[1]

Probably the biggest ways we could help refugees are really to:

A) make Wikipedia super performant on mobile, particularly for low-end
Android devices

B) make Wikipedia free via mobile programs like Zero or SMS gateways, so
people who can't pay for data can access it

C) get more relevant, updated content in Arabic. Articles on relevant
subjects are much shorter than in English, etc.[2]

1.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/26/world/europe/a-21st-century-migrants-checklist-water-shelter-smartphone.html
2.
https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A3%D8%B2%D9%85%D8%A9_%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D9%87%D8%A7%D8%AC%D8%B1%D9%8A%D9%86_%D8%A5%D9%84%D9%89_%D8%A3%D9%88%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%A8%D8%A7

On 08.09.2015 20:37, Leinonen Teemu wrote:
> On 8.9.2015, at 20.04, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> However, before we get all excited with plans, it might be important for
>> someone who is interested to contact the project lead and see if
>> internet-in-a-box is even still active. The website hasn't been regularly
>> updated since April of 2013. If there are no resources available from the
>> project still then it's back to square one.​
>
> Right. I think we should not go with the internet-in-a-box, but rather with the Kiwix. See: http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Kiwix-plug

Side information: Projects like internet-in-a-box (merged meanwhile with
xsce school server) or Ideas Box use anyway Kiwix and ZIM files to
provide Wikipedia (and also other content) offline.

Emmanuel

On 08.09.2015 21:47, Tito Dutta wrote:
>> If so, perhaps it is worth co-ordinating with some disaster
>> relief NGOs such as MSF, Red Cross and Oxfam?

This is the point. Concerning offline, the technology works. The problem
is definitively the lack of advertisement/awareness/coordination with
NGOs which are on the field.

Emmanuel
--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/KiwixOffline
* more: http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Communication

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

theo10011
Heh, It's times like these I realize I'm still in a minority here. As one
of the few non-american/european readers of the list, my perspective,
differs on this issue.

I don't know what people imagine when they think of the conditions in these
refugee camps. Allow me to paint a picture using commons [1][2] - These
places have some of the highest population density anywhere in the world.
Most have make-shift housing - tents or shanty, electricity - which is
mostly for a single light or to charge an old phone - is unreliable, water
in tankers has to be collected in jars and carried back[4]. Sanitation,
roads - if such things exist, are equally troublesome. The designated
monthly food vouchers/allowance, if they can get, is already being cut [3].
Add to that some petty crime and occasional police clashes. There's always
the constant fear of outliving their host countries welcome, and being
thrown out, left homeless. All that remains is just a harsh desert, a few
sandstorms.

These are people fleeing their homes from a civil war, with no end in
sight. Food, water, shelter, safety and their own dignity has to rank
higher as a major concern. I'm not saying that we can't help, just that we
figure lower in priorities from avoiding a civil war, genocide, to just
surviving - things are far from stable at these places still, sadly. These
refugees don't even have a legal status in most places, when they do it is
only temporary.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> Just an idea. Number of Syrian refugees is over 4,000,000 people, mostly
> residing in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.[1] Refugee camps are set in
> all in these countries.[2]

Between ISIS and kurdish forces, Iraq and Turkey are likely to have some
instability in these camps. Turkey with the highest number of refugees has
concentrated them at overcrowded refugee camps at borders while denying
them refugee status. Lebanon refuses to set up any refugee camps, Jordan
might have some of the highest density population center on earth, at one
of its two camps. While the other gulf states have outright refused these
refugees.

> Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37 languages, a
> library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and
> source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide
> mapping down to street level.”

This device sounds like a portable hotspot with an attached storage.

I don't understand however, what device people would use to access this
hotspot? ios, android- smartphones aren't as common in that part of the
world yet. And you would still need electricity to charge those devices,
all that remains is the language barrier...

Anyway, I think we already have something better - Wikipedia Zero. It was
designed for very similar situations. We just need some sort of a carrier
relationship to avail free access for everyone with a phone in those
region, I seem to recall a light text only version too that would work on
any phone. The carriers might even be receptive to the idea, if approached
correctly - Kul might know.

Regards
Theo

[1]