[Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Pine W
I think that access to open-access, easily accessible and editable maps
might be quite helpful to refugees. Info about different countries'
policies and practices toward migrants might also be helpful.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Lodewijk

> <snip>
>

> > Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37 languages,
> > library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and
> > source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide
> > mapping down to street level.”
> >

> This device sounds like a portable hotspot with an attached storage.
>
> I don't understand however, what device people would use to access this
> hotspot? ios, android- smartphones aren't as common in that part of the
> world yet. And you would still need electricity to charge those devices,
> all that remains is the language barrier...
>
> Anyway, I think we already have something better - Wikipedia Zero. It was
> designed for very similar situations. We just need some sort of a carrier
> relationship to avail free access for everyone with a phone in those
> region, I seem to recall a light text only version too that would work on
> any phone. The carriers might even be receptive to the idea, if approached
> correctly - Kul might know.
>
> Regards
> Theo

Interesting. Over here, the 'experts' are adjusting the image exactly the
other way around: that smartphones are much more common there than we would
expect, and that we underestimate the inventivity of people to get access
to information/the internet. Especially in the context of people being
suspicious of all those refugees being photographed with a smartphone.

I don't know what is the truth, and why this difference of understanding
exists - just adding to the noise here.

Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

theo10011
Hiya Lodewijk :)

I apologize if this is going off-topic.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting. Over here, the 'experts' are adjusting the image exactly the
> other way around: that smartphones are much more common there than we would
> expect, and that we underestimate the inventivity of people to get access
> to information/the internet. Especially in the context of people being
> suspicious of all those refugees being photographed with a smartphone.

Those "experts" seem to be building a narrative, I suppose. There might be
political motivations or general apathy at play there so I won't know what
image people are formulating in Europe. There are two groups of refugees at
the moment, one that are making their way through Europe and fleeing
constantly and the other, that are stuck in overcrowded refugee camps in
Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon. The original post seemed directed towards the
second group. So, those entering through Greece pay as much $2500 per
person to smugglers, they take huge risks with their lives, and physically
carry all they own in this world on their backs, in comparison, smartphones
cost less than $100[1]. It starts becoming a necessity for a family to stay
together and keep in touch with relatives - phones become quite necessary
for this group of refugees fleeing across borders. The article does state
that human rights group in Serbia are setting up free wifi, and UN agencies
are handing out thousands of free SIMs, similar to what Teemu envisions -
but you have to remember that is mostly in Europe.

The other group in refugee camps in Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon, which is
more than half of the total number of refugees, have more dire concerns -
Food, being the most prominent one[2][3]. They are usually the poorest and
most vulnerable group of refugees in the situation. Things are getting so
close to rock bottom in fact that the refugees are considering going back
to the Warzone in Syria instead of starving in the camps.[2]

> I don't know what is the truth, and why this difference of understanding
> exists - just adding to the noise here.

It's certainly a bad situation all around.

Coming back to my on-topic suggestion, Wikipedia Zero is a much better
alternative. Partnering with other agencies and setting these devices up
physically in sometimes hostile areas, is a huge undertaking that I believe
we are not set up for. WP Zero already exists in a dozen markets in the
developing world, all it needs is a single agreement with a local carrier -
it just makes access to Wikipedia free for everyone with a phone (smart or
not). It's a better fit in my opinion.

Kind regards
Theo

[1]
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/for-syrian-refugees-smartphones-are-a-lifeline-not-a-toy-1.3221349
[2]
http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/sep/11/destitute-syrian-refugees-jordan-lebanon-may-return-to-warzone

[3] http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34220590

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Simon Knight
Hi all
https://openideo.com/challenge/refugee-education/brief  may be of interest
looking for innovation around: 'How might we improve education and expand
learning opportunities for refugees around the world? '

The call for that has now closed, but it may be useful to look at how
people intend to actually implement, who people are working with (and who
has submitted proposals), and where Kiwix (or other open knowledge
resources) could be effectively used.

Cheers

Simon

On 12 September 2015 at 15:48, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> physically in sometimes hostile areas, is a huge undertaking that I believe
> we are not set up for. WP Zero already exists in a dozen markets in the
> developing world, all it needs is a single agreement with a local carrier -
> it just makes access to Wikipedia free for everyone with a phone (smart or
> not). It's a better fit in my opinion.
>
> Kind regards
> Theo
>

> [1]
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/for-syrian-refugees-smartphones-are-a-lifeline-not-a-toy-1.3221349
> [2]
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/sep/11/destitute-syrian-refugees-jordan-lebanon-may-return-to-warzone
>
> [3] http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34220590

Re: [Wikimedia-l] internet-in-a-boxs to the refugee camps?

Relevant to the conversation about how migrants can, and have, used
technology to communicate and organize:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/world/facebook-groups-push-for-safe-land-passage-for-migrants-founders.html

Pine