[Wikimedia-l] is it possible to accept bitcoins without receiving stolen property?

[Wikimedia-l] is it possible to accept bitcoins without receiving stolen property?

James Salsman-2
Given this news about BGP hijacking used to mine hundreds of thousands
(if not millions) of dollars worth of bitcoins per year, as a
practical matter concerning donations, is there any way to accept
bitcoin payments without risking accepting stolen property?

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/08/bgp_hijacking_cybercriminals_used_internet_architecture_to_mine_bitcoins.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] is it possible to accept bitcoins without receiving stolen property?

Andre Engels
No, that doesn't seem possible. But that's not really different for
any other payment method either. And even if we could get payments
without risking accepting stolen property, I don't think we should.
When choosing between unwittingly accepting tainted money and forcing
people to give up their complete financial privacy, I find the first
option the least morally repugnant one.

Andre Engels

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 11:49 PM, James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Given this news about BGP hijacking used to mine hundreds of thousands
> (if not millions) of dollars worth of bitcoins per year, as a
> practical matter concerning donations, is there any way to accept
> bitcoin payments without risking accepting stolen property?
>
> http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/08/bgp_hijacking_cybercriminals_used_internet_architecture_to_mine_bitcoins.html

André Engels, [hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] is it possible to accept bitcoins without receiving stolen property?

Todd Allen
You do, of course, realize that any currency anyone accepts could at some
point have been stolen?

Andre Engels wrote:
> When choosing between unwittingly accepting tainted money
> and forcing people to give up their complete financial privacy, I
> find the first option the least morally repugnant one.

"forcing people to give up their complete financial privacy" happens
when people donate with a charge card? I guess that depends on the
definition of "complete."

Todd Allen wrote:
> You do, of course, realize that any currency anyone accepts
> could at some point have been stolen?

Someone with more legal knowledge than I have should probably correct
me if I'm mistaken, but my understanding is that US courts have
recently drawn a sharp distinction between Bitcoins as "property,"
which can be illegal to receive if it has been stolen whether the
recipient is aware of its status or not, as opposed to currency which
is assumed to be free from such encumbrances unless the recipient is
explicitly aware that it is tainted.

Frankly, bitcoin seems to be just another attempt to evade taxes, to
me. Others may have a different impression. It doesn't seem like the
sort of thing that we should be encouraging unless there is evidence
that taxes cause harm.