[Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

[Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Amir E. Aharoni
Hi,

The Olympic games are beginning soon. Apparently, ticket holders
cannot use photo equipment longer than 30cm and cannot use the photos
and videos for commercial purposes without accreditation.

Practically everything that happens at the Olympics is notable and
should be on Wikipedia, Commons, etc. Does anybody know whether there
are professional accredited photographers who are Wikimedia-friendly
and plan to upload their photos? If there aren't any, does anybody
know whether a Wikipedian can obtain such accreditation?

This doesn't concern me directly, but there are many, many people who
write Wikipedia articles about sports in all languages and it may be
interesting to them. Also, it may be a frequent issue in sports and
I'm just not aware of it because I rarely follow sports.

Sources for the restrictions:
* http://www.tickets.london2012.com/purchaseterms.html
* PDF: http://j.mp/london2012prohibited

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Ilario Valdelli-2
Wikimedia Ch gives usually accreditations and we did it in the past also
for sport's events.

Naturally we gives accreditation only to people who send as formal request
and are identified (no unknown people).

In general we contact the press office of the event and inform them that a
defined number of photographers will participate, as soon we receive the
notification, these persons are accredited.

Naturally these persons will operate as Wikimedia Ch personel and may be
protected with an insurance (at least within Switzerland).

Anyway we have received no requests of accreditation for Olympics 2012.

--
Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ)
May be we should take such anomalies to public forums!

Slash dot? Free knowledge forums? Press? Media?

Olympics is not just a money spinning sponsored affair. Information about
the happenings there is the right of every universal citizen!

The 'long' camera may have something to do with security. But
accreditations?

My 2 cents of thoughts.
-Viswam

2012/7/24 ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <[hidden email]>:
> May be we should take such anomalies to public forums!

I'm not actually sure that it's an anomaly. As I said, I don't follow
sports and I only noticed such a thing now for the first time, but I
don't find it extremely surprising.

I can even understand the restrictions somewhat - it's possible that
it's not just a matter of greed, but also of privacy, press ethics,
etc. Some screening of participation in a major public event is not
entirely unreasonable. The main question is - is there a reasonable
way in which a Free-Culture-friendly photographer could pass such
screening.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Liam Wyatt
This issue is not merely theoretical.
Many will recall the controversy surrounding the free-licensed photo of
Usain Bolt, on Commons, taken during the Beijing Olympics:
-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2009-10-12/In_the_news
-
http://ragesoss.com/blog/2009/10/09/wikipedia-and-olympics-committee-heading-for-collision/

-Liam

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Mormegil
On 24 July 2012 10:35, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2012/7/24 ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <[hidden email]>:
>> May be we should take such anomalies to public forums!
>
> I'm not actually sure that it's an anomaly. As I said, I don't follow
> sports and I only noticed such a thing now for the first time, but I
> don't find it extremely surprising.

Exactly. Actually, there are much greater “anomalies” around Olympics…
See e.g. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2012/07/21/london-olympics-lord-coe-s-astonishing-sponsors-outburst-86908-23910798/

It is probably interesting to point out we have
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/COM:NCR stating basically we ignore
such “house rules” (or, in other words: if anyone without an
accreditation dares to upload his photos under a free license, we will
happily keep the images on Commons, whatever was written on the
tickets, with any possible risks on the uploader, of course).

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Frédéric Schütz
Has anyone from the Wikimedia community contacted the IOC on this matter?

If not, WM CH could give it a try (their headquarters are in
Switzerland, actually less than 2km away from my place). I'm not overly
optimistic, but it may be worth a try.

Frédéric

On 24/07/12 11:05, Liam Wyatt wrote:

> This issue is not merely theoretical.
> Many will recall the controversy surrounding the free-licensed photo of
> Usain Bolt, on Commons, taken during the Beijing Olympics:
> -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2009-10-12/In_the_news
> -
> http://ragesoss.com/blog/2009/10/09/wikipedia-and-olympics-committee-heading-for-collision/
>
> -Liam
>
> wittylama.com/blog
> Peace, love&  metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Ilario Valdelli
I assume that a photographer with an accreditation may take photos also for
commercial use.

I suppose that the IOC connects the right to take this kind of photos with
the accreditation and to pay a contingent grant as soon this accreditation
is assigned.

The use of limited photo equipments for the no accredited persons assures
that the photos will be low qualitative.

In my opinion the position of IOC is correct. If someone would take
professional photos, he may request an accreditation.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This issue is not merely theoretical.
> Many will recall the controversy surrounding the free-licensed photo of
> Usain Bolt, on Commons, taken during the Beijing Olympics:
> -
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2009-10-12/In_the_news
> -
>
> http://ragesoss.com/blog/2009/10/09/wikipedia-and-olympics-committee-heading-for-collision/
>
> -Liam
>
> wittylama.com/blog
> Peace, love & metadata

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Tel: +41764821371
http://www.wikimedia.ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Tomasz Ganicz
2012/7/24 Frederic Schutz <[hidden email]>:
> Has anyone from the Wikimedia community contacted the IOC on this matter?
>
> If not, WM CH could give it a try (their headquarters are in Switzerland,
> actually less than 2km away from my place). I'm not overly optimistic, but
> it may be worth a try.

According to what is written there:

http://www.london2012.com/media-centre/

It is actually too late to apply for press/photo accreditation :-(

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

On 24/07/12 11:43, Tomasz Ganicz wrote:

>> Has anyone from the Wikimedia community contacted the IOC on this matter?
>>
>> If not, WM CH could give it a try (their headquarters are in Switzerland,
>> actually less than 2km away from my place). I'm not overly optimistic, but
>> it may be worth a try.
>>

> According to what is written there:
>
> http://www.london2012.com/media-centre/
>
> It is actually too late to apply for press/photo accreditation :-(

Of course; I was thinking more in terms of discussing their policies,
and trying a avoid a big fuss when (not if) another picture is posted
under a license that allows commercial use (e.g. on commons).

Frédéric

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Andrew Gray-3
On 24 July 2012 10:21, Frederic Schutz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone from the Wikimedia community contacted the IOC on this matter?
>
> If not, WM CH could give it a try (their headquarters are in Switzerland,
> actually less than 2km away from my place). I'm not overly optimistic, but
> it may be worth a try.

Wikimedia Australia have two accredited reporters for the Paralympics,
but this explicitly does not provide for freely licensed photography:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Paralympic_Games

--
- Andrew Gray

2012/7/24 Andrew Gray <[hidden email]>:

> On 24 July 2012 10:21, Frederic Schutz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Has anyone from the Wikimedia community contacted the IOC on this matter?
>>
>> If not, WM CH could give it a try (their headquarters are in Switzerland,
>> actually less than 2km away from my place). I'm not overly optimistic, but
>> it may be worth a try.
>
> Wikimedia Australia have two accredited reporters for the Paralympics,
> but this explicitly does not provide for freely licensed photography:
>
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Paralympic_Games

Aha! Now this starts to be a problem that justifies a campaign for
allowing Wikmedia-compatible licensing. At the very least, a post
about this issue in the Foundation blog or in one of the chapters'
blogs.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Richard Symonds-3
WMUK have asked, and we live in London; some of us next door to the
stadium. The answer is a resounding 'no' from all corners, even when we
speak to the government. We've got a volunteer with very good access to the
games, but even behind the scenes it's difficult to get photographs.

The IOC are not here to give things away for free, it seems: something
which is painfully apparent to those who've seen the ticket prices!

Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK

2012/7/24 Richard Symonds <[hidden email]>:
> WMUK have asked, and we live in London; some of us next door to the
> stadium. The answer is a resounding 'no' from all corners, even when we
> speak to the government. We've got a volunteer with very good access to the
> games, but even behind the scenes it's difficult to get photographs.

Thank you very much for this answer. I'm very glad to hear that you tried.

Did they explain the resounding 'no'? Do they consider WM-UK to be not
worthy of accreditation in general? Or do they refuse to give a
permission to release photos under Free Wikimedia-compatible licences?

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 24 July 2012 10:21, Frederic Schutz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Has anyone from the Wikimedia community contacted the IOC on this matter?
> >
> > If not, WM CH could give it a try (their headquarters are in Switzerland,
> > actually less than 2km away from my place). I'm not overly optimistic,
> but
> > it may be worth a try.
>
> Wikimedia Australia have two accredited reporters for the Paralympics,
> but this explicitly does not provide for freely licensed photography:
>
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Paralympic_Games
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]

I think that it is connected with the kind of the category of accreditation.

There are some restrictive categories.

There would be no sense to block this possibility to a professional
photoreporter if a newspaper could release the same photo under free
license afterwards.

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Tel: +41764821371
http://www.wikimedia.ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Cristian Consonni
2012/7/24 Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> The Olympic games are beginning soon. Apparently, ticket holders
> cannot use photo equipment longer than 30cm and cannot use the photos
> and videos for commercial purposes without accreditation.
>
> Practically everything that happens at the Olympics is notable and
> should be on Wikipedia, Commons, etc. Does anybody know whether there
> are professional accredited photographers who are Wikimedia-friendly
> and plan to upload their photos? If there aren't any, does anybody
> know whether a Wikipedian can obtain such accreditation?
>
> This doesn't concern me directly, but there are many, many people who
> write Wikipedia articles about sports in all languages and it may be
> interesting to them. Also, it may be a frequent issue in sports and
> I'm just not aware of it because I rarely follow sports.
>
> Sources for the restrictions:
> * http://www.tickets.london2012.com/purchaseterms.html
> * PDF: http://j.mp/london2012prohibited

I think this another layer of problems besides copyright, with
CC-BY-SA the author grants permission to reuse the photo also for
commercial purposes without requesting permission to the author. But
there are many other layers of rights which could interfere with the
free (or better the "anarchic") reuse of a photo. For example I think
that using an image of Usain Bolt to promote a book without explicit
permission from the athlete (or his agent) is anyhow unlawful even if
the photo was taken, for example, in the street and freely licensed.
That said I think with can treat photo from the Olympics in a similar
way as we do for photos with "personality rights", we could put a
template saying "Olympics photo warning: to reuse for commercial
purposes this photo you should obtain permission from IOC and/or
individuals depicted in the photo".
The point is that the author of the photo allows for it the widest
possible reuse permitted by CC-BY-SA, thus sharing part of its
copyright with others,  but if one wants to use the photo for
commercial purposes that he should go (himself, not the author)
through the hassle of obtaining permission from the relevant subjects.

Could it work?

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Matthew Roth
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 2:21 AM, Frederic Schutz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone from the Wikimedia community contacted the IOC on this matter?

This conversation came up about a month ago on the Communications Committee
list and Jimmy mentioned that he had made requests through his channels and
had also been told no.

-Matthew

--

Matthew Roth
Global Communications

2012/7/24 Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>:

> 2012/7/24 Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Olympic games are beginning soon. Apparently, ticket holders
>> cannot use photo equipment longer than 30cm and cannot use the photos
>> and videos for commercial purposes without accreditation.
>>
>> Practically everything that happens at the Olympics is notable and
>> should be on Wikipedia, Commons, etc. Does anybody know whether there
>> are professional accredited photographers who are Wikimedia-friendly
>> and plan to upload their photos? If there aren't any, does anybody
>> know whether a Wikipedian can obtain such accreditation?
>>
>> This doesn't concern me directly, but there are many, many people who
>> write Wikipedia articles about sports in all languages and it may be
>> interesting to them. Also, it may be a frequent issue in sports and
>> I'm just not aware of it because I rarely follow sports.
>>
>> Sources for the restrictions:
>> * http://www.tickets.london2012.com/purchaseterms.html
>> * PDF: http://j.mp/london2012prohibited
>
> I think this another layer of problems besides copyright, with
> CC-BY-SA the author grants permission to reuse the photo also for
> commercial purposes without requesting permission to the author. But
> there are many other layers of rights which could interfere with the
> free (or better the "anarchic") reuse of a photo. For example I think
> that using an image of Usain Bolt to promote a book without explicit
> permission from the athlete (or his agent) is anyhow unlawful even if
> the photo was taken, for example, in the street and freely licensed.
> That said I think with can treat photo from the Olympics in a similar
> way as we do for photos with "personality rights", we could put a
> template saying "Olympics photo warning: to reuse for commercial
> purposes this photo you should obtain permission from IOC and/or
> individuals depicted in the photo".
> The point is that the author of the photo allows for it the widest
> possible reuse permitted by CC-BY-SA, thus sharing part of its
> copyright with others,  but if one wants to use the photo for
> commercial purposes that he should go (himself, not the author)
> through the hassle of obtaining permission from the relevant subjects.
>
> Could it work?

No. CC-BY-SA clearly allows for commercial use of works, and there is
also clause that the licence cannot be accompanied by extra
restrictions which are not compatible with the licence.  However,
CC-BY-SA is only copyrights licence, so all other legal restrictionz
are still in power. For example: using someone's face in big-scale
commercial or political campaign may be treated as a infringement of
personal rights, even if the face is taken from CC-BY-SA picture...

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Lodewijk
Would it make sense to start a more thorough long term lobby on this issue?
Considering that this will be a returning issue every two years, I guess
that would be worth the trouble...

Lodewijk

2012/7/24 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>:
> Would it make sense to start a more thorough long term lobby on this issue?
> Considering that this will be a returning issue every two years, I guess
> that would be worth the trouble...

Generally, I think that it would be a good idea. I'm just not very
comfortable with the fact that I'm not so good myself at political and
commercial strategies and that I expect other people to actually do
the lobbying, but as far as ideological campaigns go, it seems that
this one is quite right for Wikimedia.

Maybe it doesn't even have to be confrontational ("the IOC is evil")
or preachy ("all information must be free"). Maybe somebody who is an
experienced researcher in social and commercial media can simply
convince the IOC that releasing some photos or giving Wikimedians a
permission to take photos and to publish them under a free license is
beneficial to the IOC itself. Maybe I'm just fantasizing.

Most of all, I'm still curious about the reasons that the IOC (or
whoever is in charge) provided for the refusals.