[Wikimedia-l] "News Integrity Initiative" at CUNY

[Wikimedia-l] "News Integrity Initiative" at CUNY

Pine W
FYI: https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2017/04/04/new-nonprofit-consortium-will-focus-countering-fake-news-building-trust-media/
Involved parties include some names that will be familiar to Wikimedians and WMFers: "AppNexus, Betaworks, Craig Newmark Philanthropic Fund, Democracy Fund, Ford Foundation, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Mozilla, and the Tow Foundation."
Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "News Integrity Initiative" at CUNY

Rogol Domedonfors
On a related note, the Foundation Blog
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/07/misinfocon-fake-news/ proudly
announces that "the Wikimedia Foundation joined a handful of media
organization at the MIT Media Lab to lend their expertise at MisInfoCon".
That's certainly good to hear, but a little short on details  In the
interests, of transparency, please could someone post a pointer to a fuller
description of the expertise that the Foundation has in this area (as
opposed to the community of volunteers), and a pointer to the submissions,
papers or other contributions that those experts made at the meeting?

"Rogol"

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 11:31 PM, wiki.pine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI: https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2017/04/04/new-nonprofit-
> consortium-will-focus-countering-fake-news-building-trust-media/
> Involved parties include some names that will be familiar to Wikimedians
> and WMFers: "AppNexus, Betaworks, Craig Newmark Philanthropic Fund,
> Democracy Fund, Ford Foundation, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation,
> Mozilla, and the Tow Foundation."
> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "News Integrity Initiative" at CUNY

pi zero
English Wikinews took serious measures for reliability back in 2009.  For
our pains, we've received mostly grief from the Foundation, and from a
vocal segment of the Wikipedian community.  If they consulted, before this
expertise-lending, with the sister project that specializes in
vetting-before-publishing (one of the defining characteristics of news),
I'm not aware of it.  In fairness, Wikipedia might plausibly claim to have
some expertise in dealing with the consequences of /not/ vetting before
publication, and those consequences are legitimately of interest (but I
agree the passage abound lending expertise cries for explanation; there's
irony in talking about propaganda in a piece on the wikimedia blog, which
tbh I consider a Foundation propaganda outlet).

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On a related note, the Foundation Blog
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/07/misinfocon-fake-news/ proudly
> announces that "the Wikimedia Foundation joined a handful of media
> organization at the MIT Media Lab to lend their expertise at MisInfoCon".
> That's certainly good to hear, but a little short on details  In the
> interests, of transparency, please could someone post a pointer to a fuller
> description of the expertise that the Foundation has in this area (as
> opposed to the community of volunteers), and a pointer to the submissions,
> papers or other contributions that those experts made at the meeting?
>
> "Rogol"
>
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 11:31 PM, wiki.pine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > FYI: https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2017/04/04/new-nonprofit-
> > consortium-will-focus-countering-fake-news-building-trust-media/
> > Involved parties include some names that will be familiar to Wikimedians
> > and WMFers: "AppNexus, Betaworks, Craig Newmark Philanthropic Fund,
> > Democracy Fund, Ford Foundation, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation,
> > Mozilla, and the Tow Foundation."
> > Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "News Integrity Initiative" at CUNY

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Vetting before publication proved a failure. It is why we have Wikipedia
and not Nupedia.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 10 April 2017 at 14:44, pi zero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> English Wikinews took serious measures for reliability back in 2009.  For
> our pains, we've received mostly grief from the Foundation, and from a
> vocal segment of the Wikipedian community.  If they consulted, before this
> expertise-lending, with the sister project that specializes in
> vetting-before-publishing (one of the defining characteristics of news),
> I'm not aware of it.  In fairness, Wikipedia might plausibly claim to have
> some expertise in dealing with the consequences of /not/ vetting before
> publication, and those consequences are legitimately of interest (but I
> agree the passage abound lending expertise cries for explanation; there's
> irony in talking about propaganda in a piece on the wikimedia blog, which
> tbh I consider a Foundation propaganda outlet).
>
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On a related note, the Foundation Blog
> > https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/07/misinfocon-fake-news/ proudly
> > announces that "the Wikimedia Foundation joined a handful of media
> > organization at the MIT Media Lab to lend their expertise at MisInfoCon".
> > That's certainly good to hear, but a little short on details  In the
> > interests, of transparency, please could someone post a pointer to a
> fuller
> > description of the expertise that the Foundation has in this area (as
> > opposed to the community of volunteers), and a pointer to the
> submissions,
> > papers or other contributions that those experts made at the meeting?
> >
> > "Rogol"
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 11:31 PM, wiki.pine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > FYI: https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2017/04/04/new-nonprofit-
> > > consortium-will-focus-countering-fake-news-building-trust-media/
> > > Involved parties include some names that will be familiar to
> Wikimedians
> > > and WMFers: "AppNexus, Betaworks, Craig Newmark Philanthropic Fund,
> > > Democracy Fund, Ford Foundation, John S. and James L. Knight
> Foundation,
> > > Mozilla, and the Tow Foundation."
> > > Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "News Integrity Initiative" at CUNY

pi zero
Nupedia had severely defective strategy and tactics.  It was also an
encyclopedia, not a news project. So it has pretty much zero bearing on any
aspect of the current situation.

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> Vetting before publication proved a failure. It is why we have Wikipedia
> and not Nupedia.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> On 10 April 2017 at 14:44, pi zero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > English Wikinews took serious measures for reliability back in 2009.  For
> > our pains, we've received mostly grief from the Foundation, and from a
> > vocal segment of the Wikipedian community.  If they consulted, before
> this
> > expertise-lending, with the sister project that specializes in
> > vetting-before-publishing (one of the defining characteristics of news),
> > I'm not aware of it.  In fairness, Wikipedia might plausibly claim to
> have
> > some expertise in dealing with the consequences of /not/ vetting before
> > publication, and those consequences are legitimately of interest (but I
> > agree the passage abound lending expertise cries for explanation; there's
> > irony in talking about propaganda in a piece on the wikimedia blog, which
> > tbh I consider a Foundation propaganda outlet).
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On a related note, the Foundation Blog
> > > https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/07/misinfocon-fake-news/ proudly
> > > announces that "the Wikimedia Foundation joined a handful of media
> > > organization at the MIT Media Lab to lend their expertise at
> MisInfoCon".
> > > That's certainly good to hear, but a little short on details  In the
> > > interests, of transparency, please could someone post a pointer to a
> > fuller
> > > description of the expertise that the Foundation has in this area (as
> > > opposed to the community of volunteers), and a pointer to the
> > submissions,
> > > papers or other contributions that those experts made at the meeting?
> > >
> > > "Rogol"

> > Wikimedians
> > Foundation,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "News Integrity Initiative" at CUNY

Rogol Domedonfors
Will the Foundation be seeking to join in the initiative and possibly
secure some funding to support and enhance the Wikinews projects?  It seems
that some of the supporters of this project are already donors to the
Foundation, so there is a pre-existing relationship.