[Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

[Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Billinghurst
I am wondering why there is no "tweet this page" capability through the
WMF sites?  It is so widely available through the web, and here is a range
of sites that would be a prime place to do it, and NADA, no capacity.

Even if we had it for something like https://blog.wikimedia.org/  would be
a good place to start.  Howwever, the ability to easily tweet about a book
at Wikisource, an article at one of the WPs all sound like marvellous
things to easily do.

Regards, Billinghurst

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

K. Peachey-2
Discussion about this has occurred on en.wiki at least multiple times,
info can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Perennial_proposals#Share_pages_on_Facebook.2C_Twitter_etc.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Tilman Bayer
On blog.wikimedia.org, some social media sharing buttons will be
implemented (in a privacy-friendly way) as part of the upcoming
redesign.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM, billinghurst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am wondering why there is no "tweet this page" capability through the
> WMF sites?  It is so widely available through the web, and here is a range
> of sites that would be a prime place to do it, and NADA, no capacity.
>
> Even if we had it for something like https://blog.wikimedia.org/  would be
> a good place to start.  Howwever, the ability to easily tweet about a book
> at Wikisource, an article at one of the WPs all sound like marvellous
> things to easily do.
>
> Regards, Billinghurst

Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
Wikimedia Foundation
IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

James Alexander-4
I tend to think that they can be incredibly useful and reader friendly. I've always found it a bit disappointing we don't have it as they are probably the bigger reader request I've ever seen. That said I know that enWiki has had multiple discussions about it ending in failure. The issues mostly seem to stem from the "we're not MySpace" crowd which I think misses the point that we both "are" a social network and that we're an educational site (and should encourage sharing that information) but <sigh>.

However! That doesn't stop other projects from doing it and I would love to see those that do. Wikinews has ha their social bookmarks template for a while now and we adapted it for the fundraiser a while ago on WMF wiki as well as a very nice version for the anti SOPA protests.. I don't have the links handy but can get them at home and I think the best thing to do would be to search through the history because they've gone through a couple variations. There is a bug on bugzilla as well to add the meta information required for a more useful Facebook share (and I think G+) which also is unlikely to be that big of a problem.

The only thing to keep in mind is that we occasionally need creativity. The "default" way that most sites tell you to share is often problematic for our privacy policy because it either has a script call to the home sight on page load or requires an iframe (Facebook likes I'm looking at you). That said they all have options that can work for us they are just a bit more hidden.

James

Sent from my iPhone

James Alexander
Manager - Merchandise
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 415-839-6885 x6716

On Apr 17, 2013, at 19:28, billinghurst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am wondering why there is no "tweet this page" capability through the
> WMF sites?  It is so widely available through the web, and here is a range
> of sites that would be a prime place to do it, and NADA, no capacity.
>
> Even if we had it for something like https://blog.wikimedia.org/  would be
> a good place to start.  Howwever, the ability to easily tweet about a book
> at Wikisource, an article at one of the WPs all sound like marvellous
> things to easily do.
>
> Regards, Billinghurst

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Sarah Stierch-2
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM, James Alexander
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> I tend to think that they can be incredibly useful and reader friendly.
> I've always found it a bit disappointing we don't have it as they are
> probably the bigger reader request I've ever seen. That said I know that
> enWiki has had multiple discussions about it ending in failure. The issues
> mostly seem to stem from the "we're not MySpace" crowd which I think misses
> the point that we both "are" a social network and that we're an educational
> site (and should encourage sharing that information) but <sigh>.

I agree. Readers ask a lot about it, and so do new editors. I think it's so
lame. Then again, people said the same about the Teahouse (NOTFACEBOOK). I
wonder if we did a test for it what people would think.

Talk abou reach - we'd be getting more people to read articles and content,
which means potentially more people editing.

But, I'm also a regular Twitter user and I see boosts in viewership for
anything I post on my Twitter and Facebook. So sick of anti-social media
Wikipedia. People love to deny we are a social network, when most of us
involved in the community know that isn't true. A lot of my friends and so
forth come from the Wikipedia world. If that isn't social media, then I
don't know what is.

> The only thing to keep in mind is that we occasionally need creativity.
> The "default" way that most sites tell you to share is often

CREATIVITY? NOOO!!!! We're writing an encyclopedia....we're not being
creative!!! (sarcasm)  (Again...see the Teahouse :) )
-Sar
*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedia*
*www.sarahstierch.com*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Le 2013-04-18 04:28, billinghurst a écrit :

> I am wondering why there is no "tweet this page" capability through
> the
> WMF sites?  It is so widely available through the web, and here is a
> range
> of sites that would be a prime place to do it, and NADA, no capacity.
>
> Even if we had it for something like https://blog.wikimedia.org/
> would be
> a good place to start.  Howwever, the ability to easily tweet about a
> book
> at Wikisource, an article at one of the WPs all sound like marvellous
> things to easily do.
>
> Regards, Billinghurst

I didn't read the tweeter EULA, as I don't use it. Does it feet our
general policy[1]? If no, as one may easily expect, then you have a
definitive answer to your "why not".

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikimedia_policy

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

David Gerard-2
On 18 April 2013 10:27, Mathieu Stumpf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I didn't read the tweeter EULA, as I don't use it. Does it feet our general
> policy[1]? If no, as one may easily expect, then you have a definitive
> answer to your "why not".

You could tweet from a button without WMF sending data to Twitter, so
that's not a problem.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Stevie Benton
[Speaking personally, not from WMUK]

I like the idea of sharing buttons, as long as they aren't too prominent.
Wikipedia was a social medium before the term was really in widespread use.
I think it also shows that our audience is important. Aren't we ultimately
about sharing?

Stevie

On 18 April 2013 10:37, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18 April 2013 10:27, Mathieu Stumpf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I didn't read the tweeter EULA, as I don't use it. Does it feet our
> general
> > policy[1]? If no, as one may easily expect, then you have a definitive
> > answer to your "why not".
>

> You could tweet from a button without WMF sending data to Twitter, so
> that's not a problem.
>

> - d.

Stevie Benton
Communications Organiser
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*

Le 2013-04-18 05:00, James Alexander a écrit :
> I tend to think that they can be incredibly useful and reader
> friendly. I've always found it a bit disappointing we don't have it
> as
> they are probably the bigger reader request I've ever seen.

Please provide metrics and numbers. You know how our personal
impressions are biased with our personal interets. And you also know
how metrics, while not providing "absolute truth", assuage our biases.

> That said
> I know that enWiki has had multiple discussions about it ending in
> failure. The issues mostly seem to stem from the "we're not MySpace"
> crowd which I think misses the point that we both "are" a social
> network and that we're an educational site (and should encourage
> sharing that information) but <sigh>.

Then you may promote "wikisocial" if you like. I'm not sure it would be
manageable to come with a solution responding to both "social network
features" and "privacy concerns".

> However! That doesn't stop other projects from doing it and I would
> love to see those that do. Wikinews has ha their social bookmarks
> template for a while now and we adapted it for the fundraiser a while
> ago on WMF wiki as well as a very nice version for the anti SOPA
> protests.. I don't have the links handy but can get them at home and
> think the best thing to do would be to search through the history
> because they've gone through a couple variations. There is a bug on
> bugzilla as well to add the meta information required for a more
> useful Facebook share (and I think G+) which also is unlikely to be
> that big of a problem.

Not talking about the privacy dilema, Wikipedia must remain neutral
which mean whether providing more **internal** social network features
(the coming Echo extension may provide some of them) or providing
nothing. But in my humble opinion, including some third party
dependances is a not an option if we want to stay neutral. Argumentum ad
populum[1] is not receivable.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

> The only thing to keep in mind is that we occasionally need
> creativity. The "default" way that most sites tell you to share is
> often problematic for our privacy policy because it either has a
> script call to the home sight on page load or requires an iframe
> (Facebook likes I'm looking at you). That said they all have options
> that can work for us they are just a bit more hidden.

There's no such thing as "the only thing to keep in mind". We sure want
more engaged editors, and "creativity" surely is welcome. But we have
other constraints which are not less important, and we can't afford to
forget it.

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/

Le 2013-04-18 05:05, Sarah Stierch a écrit :

> But, I'm also a regular Twitter user and I see boosts in viewership
> for
> anything I post on my Twitter and Facebook. So sick of anti-social
> media
> Wikipedia. People love to deny we are a social network, when most of
> us
> involved in the community know that isn't true. A lot of my friends
> and so
> forth come from the Wikipedia world. If that isn't social media, then
> don't know what is.

Before you go any further, you should come with a more precise
definition of what you call a "social media". You may say Internet is a
social media, so anything within it share this property.

> Teahouse

Excuse me but I had never heard about "Teahouse" before. I suppose you
are talking about[1].

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Tom Morris-5
On Thursday, 18 April 2013 at 04:05, Sarah Stierch wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM, James Alexander
> <[hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])>wrote:
>
> > I tend to think that they can be incredibly useful and reader friendly.
> > I've always found it a bit disappointing we don't have it as they are
> > probably the bigger reader request I've ever seen. That said I know that
> > enWiki has had multiple discussions about it ending in failure. The issues
> > mostly seem to stem from the "we're not MySpace" crowd which I think misses
> > the point that we both "are" a social network and that we're an educational
> > site (and should encourage sharing that information) but <sigh>.
>

> I agree. Readers ask a lot about it, and so do new editors. I think it's so
> lame. Then again, people said the same about the Teahouse (NOTFACEBOOK). I
> wonder if we did a test for it what people would think.
>
> Talk abou reach - we'd be getting more people to read articles and content,
> which means potentially more people editing.
>
> But, I'm also a regular Twitter user and I see boosts in viewership for
> anything I post on my Twitter and Facebook. So sick of anti-social media
> Wikipedia. People love to deny we are a social network, when most of us
> involved in the community know that isn't true. A lot of my friends and so
> forth come from the Wikipedia world. If that isn't social media, then I
> don't know what is.

The problem I have is that we lose some independence by doing this. Five years ago, we'd be all about putting MySpace links all over Wikipedia. Today, it'd be Twitter and FB. The services we include will be something we'll constantly be debating. Some hip new startup gets going and we'll have to have a long debate as to whether to add them.

Then if we decided to include, say, Google Plus but not include some other service, we get accused of favouring Google because we're supposedly in cahoots with them in destroying copyright, stabbing babies, bringing on the infoapocalypse and all that. Or we choose services that are only used by Westerners. Or we include every damn service and we end up with those horrible palettes of 2000 different social services. We implicitly waste the time of people who don't use social sharing services or who, say, are trying to undermine the social services by building their own. [1]

Browsers already come with a social media sharing service: it's called copy'n'paste. It doesn't infringe your privacy, it supports all services, allows easy reformatting,

[1] http://indiewebcamp.com/ Come join in and free yourself from the social media silos! ;-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Le 2013-04-18 11:37, David Gerard a écrit :

> On 18 April 2013 10:27, Mathieu Stumpf
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I didn't read the tweeter EULA, as I don't use it. Does it feet our
>> general
>> policy[1]? If no, as one may easily expect, then you have a
>> definitive
>> answer to your "why not".
>

> You could tweet from a button without WMF sending data to Twitter, so
> that's not a problem.

I don't understand what you mean, sorry. Do you mean "publish a short
message" on a talk page of a WMF project? If so, I can't see the
difference with what you can already do. If you mean publish something
on tweeter while browsing a WMF project, I can't see the point. I'm sure
most users know they can have more than one tab/window at a time. If the
point is to gather relevant information on a specific page elsewhere
than the talk page, then to my mind it's a really bad idea.

Those said, I don't use Twitter in the first place, so I really have no
idea what kind of gap you would like to fill with your feature.

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Thomas Morton
> If you mean publish something on tweeter while browsing a WMF project, I
> can't see the point. I'm sure most users know they can have more than one
> tab/window at a time.

Weren't you asking for evidence to back up similar assertions a minute ago?
:D

> Those said, I don't use Twitter in the first place, so I really have no
> idea what kind of gap you would like to fill with your feature.

*rolls eyes*

Sorry, I don't mean to be snippy but this discussion always frustrates me.
It's the sort of elitest tech snobbery (anti-social-networks, lack of
understanding of how 90% of the world use the web, etc.) we suffer from.

Of course sharing buttons would be wonderful for our readers - that is the
whole point of the internet, facilitating the building of the web of links!

Tom

On 18 April 2013 11:51, Mathieu Stumpf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Those said, I don't use Twitter in the first place, so I really have no idea
> what kind of gap you would like to fill with your feature.

Your entire objection appears to be "I personally don't want to do
this, therefore your request is stupid." This is somewhat obnoxious.

- d.

Le 2013-04-18 11:43, Stevie Benton a écrit :

> [Speaking personally, not from WMUK]
>
> I like the idea of sharing buttons, as long as they aren't too
> prominent.
> Wikipedia was a social medium before the term was really in
> widespread use.
> I think it also shows that our audience is important. Aren't we
> ultimately
> about sharing?
>
> Stevie

To my mind, it's not just about sharing, it's about sharing knowledge
in a form which is as neutral as we can achieve to produce. If you stop
to "sharing", then you may just as well let "free to share"
advertisments invade wikipedia.

On 18 April 2013 13:04, Mathieu Stumpf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To my mind, it's not just about sharing, it's about sharing knowledge in a
> form which is as neutral as we can achieve to produce. If you stop to
> "sharing", then you may just as well let "free to share" advertisments
> invade wikipedia.

I don't see how that's a sensible analogy at all.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Stevie Benton
[Speaking personally, not from WMUK]

Not sure how advertisements came in to the discussion, it's totally
different. If we agree we want to share the sum total of all human
knowledge, then it makes sense that we make it as easy to share that
knowledge as possible. Having small, discreet buttons that allow one / two
click sharing removes some of the barriers that may exist.  Just my
opinion, of course.

Stevie

Le 2013-04-18 12:54, Thomas Morton a écrit :

>> If you mean publish something on tweeter while browsing a WMF
>> project, I
>> can't see the point. I'm sure most users know they can have more
>> than one
>> tab/window at a time.
>

> Weren't you asking for evidence to back up similar assertions a
> minute ago?
> :D

You are right, I will try to make research on the subject, "Measuring
Tabbed Browsing" seems to provide some (hopefuly) meaningful results.
Thus said, here I'm not trying to convince you that most browser users
know how to use tabs and windows. I am asking you what would be the gap
it would fill as I am unable to find it by myself.

>> Those said, I don't use Twitter in the first place, so I really have
>> no
>> idea what kind of gap you would like to fill with your feature.
>>

> *rolls eyes*
>
> Sorry, I don't mean to be snippy but this discussion always
> frustrates me.
> It's the sort of elitest tech snobbery (anti-social-networks, lack of
> understanding of how 90% of the world use the web, etc.) we suffer
> from.

All appologies, while I for sure have a tech background, I didn't meant
to sound elitist. On the contrary, I'm asking you to explain me what is
the obvious need that you hope to fill with such a feature and that
couldn't be achieved within Wikimedia, espcecialy with the coming Echo
extension.

Discussing is a great way to discover how hard it is to agree on
"obvious things" because our representation of the world is an
idiosyncrasy.

> Of course sharing buttons would be wonderful for our readers - that
> is the
> whole point of the internet, facilitating the building of the web of
> links!

Sure, but I just don't understand what prevent you from building links
within Mediawiki.

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/

Le 2013-04-18 13:11, David Gerard a écrit :

> On 18 April 2013 11:51, Mathieu Stumpf
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Those said, I don't use Twitter in the first place, so I really have
>> no idea
>> what kind of gap you would like to fill with your feature.
>

> Your entire objection appears to be "I personally don't want to do
> this, therefore your request is stupid." This is somewhat obnoxious.

Sorry, I don't know if it's my rhetoric skills which are so bad or
those which are answering me that are particularly inclined to interpret
my text in such a "obnoxious" manner, but I'm sure that I didn't mean
something like "I personally don't want to do this, therefore your
request is stupid.", nor even thougt such a rude thing.

My objection would be more something like "I'm afraid that this kind of
actions could threaten some general policies of the Wikimedia movement,
policies that promote human values that I share".

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Thomas Morton
>  Those said, I don't use Twitter in the first place, so I really have no
>>> idea what kind of gap you would like to fill with your feature.
>>>

>>>  *rolls eyes*
>>
>> Sorry, I don't mean to be snippy but this discussion always frustrates me.
>> It's the sort of elitest tech snobbery (anti-social-networks, lack of
>> understanding of how 90% of the world use the web, etc.) we suffer from.
>>

> All appologies, while I for sure have a tech background, I didn't meant to
> sound elitist. On the contrary, I'm asking you to explain me what is the
> obvious need that you hope to fill with such a feature and that couldn't be
> achieved within Wikimedia,

What would it achieve? Well, people share content all over the web to their
network; Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, etc. Facilitating this is
obvious The reason it hasn't happened yet is that the editing community
seems generally politically against the idea of social networks, so
anything relating to them is evil! ;)

Why should be only be building and sharing content within Wikimedia? The
vast majority of the consumers of the site could not care one thing about
"within Wikimedia", and that is fine. Foisting it upon them is the poor
approach :D

> espcecialy with the coming Echo extension.

I'm not sure how the Echo extension is relevant to sharing Wikipedia
content as widely as possible. It's an internal notification system. :S I'd
be *very *disappointed to see us build a system for sharing content
internally (which is what you appear to be advocating), that is not our
purpose (to be a social network).

>> Of course sharing buttons would be wonderful for our readers - that is the
>> whole point of the internet, facilitating the building of the web of
>> links!
>>

> Sure, but I just don't understand what prevent you from building links
> within Mediawiki.

See above; are you really suggesting that no one should be sharing content
outside of Mediawiki?? ;)

Tom