[Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Andy Mabbett-2
I'd like to ask your support the project I started:

   <http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/>

asking the subjects of Wikipedia articles to record a 10-second sample
of their speaking voice, for use on those articles.

An example script is "Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place]
and I have been [job or position] since [year]".

So far, the participants:

   <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>

include Sue Black, Cory Doctorow, Bill Thompson and Dave Winer; and
we've just had our first recording in French - but we need many more.

Do you know anyone who has an article about them? Do you know of tools
that would simplify the process of making ogg files, open licensing
them, and uploading them to Commons? How can we include more speakers
of other languages?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Sarah Stierch-2
Andy - have you thought about putting a project page on Wikipedia and not
just hosting it on your blog ?

It might bring more traffic.

I saw your Tweet about doing this, I just..well..haven't sat down and done
it yet. And I hate my recorded voice. O_o

-Sarah

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I'd like to ask your support the project I started:
>
>    <
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/
> >

> asking the subjects of Wikipedia articles to record a 10-second sample
> of their speaking voice, for use on those articles.
>
> An example script is "Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place]
> and I have been [job or position] since [year]".
>
> So far, the participants:
>
>    <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>
>
> include Sue Black, Cory Doctorow, Bill Thompson and Dave Winer; and
> we've just had our first recording in French - but we need many more.
>
> Do you know anyone who has an article about them? Do you know of tools
> that would simplify the process of making ogg files, open licensing
> them, and uploading them to Commons? How can we include more speakers
> of other languages?
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedia*
*www.sarahstierch.com*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Andy Mabbett, 08/02/2013 14:57:

> I'd like to ask your support the project I started:
>
>     <http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/>
>
> asking the subjects of Wikipedia articles to record a 10-second sample
> of their speaking voice, for use on those articles.
>
> An example script is "Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place]
> and I have been [job or position] since [year]".
>
> So far, the participants:
>
>     <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>
>
> include Sue Black, Cory Doctorow, Bill Thompson and Dave Winer; and
> we've just had our first recording in French - but we need many more.
>
> Do you know anyone who has an article about them? Do you know of tools
> that would simplify the process of making ogg files, open licensing
> them, and uploading them to Commons? How can we include more speakers
> of other languages?

I think we really need such a tool, for instance it's a shame that
Wiktionary doesn't have pronounciation recordings on most of its entries.
Of course it's better if the speaker is authoritative (like the subject
in person for a biography or a professional for Wiktionary), but tools
would help everyone.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Sarah Stierch-2
Yeah, it'd be cool to have a tool that allows the subject to record and
then make their file an ogg, or record it to ogg in a super fast way.

it's a small, but time consuming thing to record yourself, upload it (or
whatever) to your computer, and then figure out how to make it into an open
license.

-Sarah

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Andy Mabbett, 08/02/2013 14:57:
>
>> I'd like to ask your support the project I started:
>>
>>     <http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/**open-licensed-format-**
>> recordings-voices-wikipedia-**wikimedia-commons/<http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/>
>> >

>> asking the subjects of Wikipedia articles to record a 10-second sample
>> of their speaking voice, for use on those articles.
>>
>> An example script is "Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place]
>> and I have been [job or position] since [year]".
>>
>> So far, the participants:
>>
>>     <http://commons.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Category:Voice_intro_**project<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>
>> >

>> include Sue Black, Cory Doctorow, Bill Thompson and Dave Winer; and
>> we've just had our first recording in French - but we need many more.
>>
>> Do you know anyone who has an article about them? Do you know of tools
>> that would simplify the process of making ogg files, open licensing
>> them, and uploading them to Commons? How can we include more speakers
>> of other languages?
>>

> I think we really need such a tool, for instance it's a shame that
> Wiktionary doesn't have pronounciation recordings on most of its entries.
> Of course it's better if the speaker is authoritative (like the subject in
> person for a biography or a professional for Wiktionary), but tools would
> help everyone.
>
> Nemo

*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedia*
*www.sarahstierch.com*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Sage Ross
On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Sarah Stierch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yeah, it'd be cool to have a tool that allows the subject to record and
> then make their file an ogg, or record it to ogg in a super fast way.
>
> it's a small, but time consuming thing to record yourself, upload it (or
> whatever) to your computer, and then figure out how to make it into an open
> license.
>
> -Sarah

Sounds like a job for the Commons mobile apps! If sound recording is
not on the roadmap, it should be.

Yuvi, Brion, are you guys reading this thread? (I'll ping them.)

-Sage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 13:57:41 +0000, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> I'd like to ask your support the project I started:
>

> <http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/>
>
> asking the subjects of Wikipedia articles to record a 10-second
> sample
> of their speaking voice, for use on those articles.
>
> An example script is "Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place]
> and I have been [job or position] since [year]".
>
> So far, the participants:
>
>    <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>
>
> include Sue Black, Cory Doctorow, Bill Thompson and Dave Winer; and
> we've just had our first recording in French - but we need many more.
>
> Do you know anyone who has an article about them? Do you know of
> tools
> that would simplify the process of making ogg files, open licensing
> them, and uploading them to Commons? How can we include more speakers
> of other languages?

This sounds interesting, but what is the purpose? I happen to be a
subject of a Wikipedia article, is the idea that anybody would get a
chance to hear what accent do I have? I am not sure I would like this.

Cheers
Yaroslav

On 8 February 2013 15:06, Sarah Stierch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yeah, it'd be cool to have a tool that allows the subject to record and
> then make their file an ogg, or record it to ogg in a super fast way.
>
> it's a small, but time consuming thing to record yourself, upload it (or
> whatever) to your computer, and then figure out how to make it into an open
> license.

People could use AudioBoo, for example, if it had a Flickr-like way
for uploaders to open-license a recoding. I'ive reached out to them
suggesting that, with no luck yet.

I'm also looking at <http://croak.it/>.

On 8 February 2013 15:27, Yaroslav M. Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This sounds interesting, but what is the purpose? I happen to be a subject
> of a Wikipedia article, is the idea that anybody would get a chance to hear
> what accent do I have? I am not sure I would like this.

The reasons are explained in the blog post to which I linked

If you don't want to do it, then of course, don't.

On 8 February 2013 14:57, Sarah Stierch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Andy - have you thought about putting a project page on Wikipedia and not
> just hosting it on your blog ?

Yes; I have a rewrite for that purpose, on my to-do list.

> I saw your Tweet about doing this, I just..well..haven't sat down and done
> it yet. And I hate my recorded voice. O_o

Who doesn't ;-) I'm sure your recording will be worth waiting for.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
There are several tools that allow you to record pronunciations. I have
done many many in the past and, I am not the only on
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 8 February 2013 16:06, Sarah Stierch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, it'd be cool to have a tool that allows the subject to record and
> then make their file an ogg, or record it to ogg in a super fast way.
>
> it's a small, but time consuming thing to record yourself, upload it (or
> whatever) to your computer, and then figure out how to make it into an open
> license.
>
> -Sarah
>

> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Andy Mabbett, 08/02/2013 14:57:
> >
> >> I'd like to ask your support the project I started:
> >>
> >>     <http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/**open-licensed-format-**
> >> recordings-voices-wikipedia-**wikimedia-commons/<
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/
> >

> >> asking the subjects of Wikipedia articles to record a 10-second sample
> >> of their speaking voice, for use on those articles.
> >>
> >> An example script is "Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place]
> >> and I have been [job or position] since [year]".
> >>
> >> So far, the participants:
> >>
> >>     <http://commons.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Category:Voice_intro_**project
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>
> >> >

> >> include Sue Black, Cory Doctorow, Bill Thompson and Dave Winer; and
> >> we've just had our first recording in French - but we need many more.
> >>
> >> Do you know anyone who has an article about them? Do you know of tools
> >> that would simplify the process of making ogg files, open licensing
> >> them, and uploading them to Commons? How can we include more speakers
> >> of other languages?
> >>

> > I think we really need such a tool, for instance it's a shame that
> > Wiktionary doesn't have pronounciation recordings on most of its entries.
> > Of course it's better if the speaker is authoritative (like the subject
> in
> > person for a biography or a professional for Wiktionary), but tools would
> > help everyone.
> >
> > Nemo

> *Sarah Stierch*
> *Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedia*
> *www.sarahstierch.com*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Risker
Okay.  So I looked at this a couple of times, and couldn't come up with a
good idea for "notable" people to want to deliberately record and upload
with an open license a recording of their own voice - knowing that it
*will* be abused and misused and mashed.  (There's little question that
this will happen. Just because Wikimedians are pretty decent sorts doesn't
mean the rest of the world is.)

Now, I have no objection whatsoever to supporting article subjects who
*wish* to do this, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea to actively try
to persuade them.  I'm not convinced that recordings of a person's voice is
actually "information" about the person, either, except in the way that
their fingerprints are.

Risker/Anne

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Fae-3
On 8 February 2013 17:09, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay.  So I looked at this a couple of times, and couldn't come up with a
> good idea for "notable" people to want to deliberately record and upload
> with an open license a recording of their own voice - knowing that it
> *will* be abused and misused and mashed.  (There's little question that
> this will happen. Just because Wikimedians are pretty decent sorts doesn't
> mean the rest of the world is.)
>
> Now, I have no objection whatsoever to supporting article subjects who
> *wish* to do this, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea to actively try
> to persuade them.  I'm not convinced that recordings of a person's voice is
> actually "information" about the person, either, except in the way that
> their fingerprints are.
>
> Risker/Anne

I'm afraid, rather sadly, I have to agree. At a minimum, I would
recommend that those donating their audio or video are cautioned very
clearly about what free re-use might mean, and that the licence is
certain to be irrevocable, even if we do later make a community
decision to delete a file from Commons (which is highly unlikely if
they are notable and the release was unambiguous).

It's a nice idea, but my frank advice to a notable person would be to
release on a CC-BY-SA-ND licence which means that re-use is far more
likely to stay "respectful" and even though this means that Commons
could not host, articles on Wikipedias could still provide a link to a
stable host site that did accept the ND restriction. This is the same
advice I have provided for sensitive modern cultural content, such as
photographs of the general public at festivals where there is no
specific release from the models, or tribal rituals which may contain
children or partial nudity. Sometimes this means turning away super
content, but I would much rather do that than have upset partners who
may suffer reputational damage as a result.

Obviously if you are notable and you don't care because your voice and
image is everywhere already (and perhaps massively misused or used in
parody), then perhaps the caution will not put you off that much
anyway, as it would be water off a duck's back.

Thanks,
Fae
--
[hidden email] http://j.mp/faewm
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/mfae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Charles Andrès-2
Even if I'm really in favor of sound content in articles, I'm not sure that a license like the CC by SA is good for that. Do the subject are really aware of what it means?, that their voice could be used without their consent  afterwards?

It could be a good opportunity to open a constructive discussion about new license with NC and ND option?

Charles

Le 8 févr. 2013 à 14:57, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I'd like to ask your support the project I started:
>
>   <http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/>
>
> asking the subjects of Wikipedia articles to record a 10-second sample
> of their speaking voice, for use on those articles.
>
> An example script is "Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place]
> and I have been [job or position] since [year]".
>
> So far, the participants:
>
>   <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>
>
> include Sue Black, Cory Doctorow, Bill Thompson and Dave Winer; and
> we've just had our first recording in French - but we need many more.
>
> Do you know anyone who has an article about them? Do you know of tools
> that would simplify the process of making ogg files, open licensing
> them, and uploading them to Commons? How can we include more speakers
> of other languages?
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Florence Devouard-3
Gerard,

Did not we record something sounding like "merry christmas and happy new
year" several years ago ? Was it uploaded ? I could not find it ;)

Flo

On 2/8/13 5:24 PM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Hoi,
> There are several tools that allow you to record pronunciations. I have
> done many many in the past and, I am not the only on
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>

> On 8 February 2013 16:06, Sarah Stierch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, it'd be cool to have a tool that allows the subject to record and
>> then make their file an ogg, or record it to ogg in a super fast way.
>>
>> it's a small, but time consuming thing to record yourself, upload it (or
>> whatever) to your computer, and then figure out how to make it into an open
>> license.
>>
>> -Sarah
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> Andy Mabbett, 08/02/2013 14:57:

>> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/

>> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>

>>> I think we really need such a tool, for instance it's a shame that
>>> Wiktionary doesn't have pronounciation recordings on most of its entries.
>>> Of course it's better if the speaker is authoritative (like the subject
>> in
>>> person for a biography or a professional for Wiktionary), but tools would
>>> help everyone.
>>>
>>> Nemo

>> --
>> --
>> *Sarah Stierch*
>> *Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedia*
>> *www.sarahstierch.com*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

James Salsman-2
Andy Mabett wrote:

> People could use AudioBoo, for example, if it had a Flickr-like way
> for uploaders to open-license a recoding. I'ive reached out to them
> suggesting that, with no luck yet.

The open source solution for voice recording with the largest
cross-browser and cross-platform support is WAMI recorder:
http://code.google.com/p/wami-recorder/

It uses Flash because of the strictly utilitarian fact that doing so
covers the largest number of clients with microphones. But it records
to .wav files which are easily converted to Ogg Vorbis (e.g. with
oggenc) for upload to Commons etc. The free GNU Gnash player has been
able to record audio via Flash applets on many platforms since 2009,
by the way: http://wiki.gnashdev.org/MicrophoneGST

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Yes, they were uploaded. They are not that easy to find because they are
things like "file:Nl-Zalig Pasen.ogg" I found this one for Easter.

The soundfiles are there on Commons but for whatever reason the pages where
they were used are no longer with us :(
Thanks,
     Gerard

On 8 February 2013 21:34, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gerard,
>
> Did not we record something sounding like "merry christmas and happy new
> year" several years ago ? Was it uploaded ? I could not find it ;)
>
> Flo
>

> On 2/8/13 5:24 PM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
>> Hoi,
>> There are several tools that allow you to record pronunciations. I have
>> done many many in the past and, I am not the only on
>> Thanks,
>>       GerardM
>>

>> On 8 February 2013 16:06, Sarah Stierch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Yeah, it'd be cool to have a tool that allows the subject to record and
>>> then make their file an ogg, or record it to ogg in a super fast way.
>>>
>>> it's a small, but time consuming thing to record yourself, upload it (or
>>> whatever) to your computer, and then figure out how to make it into an
>>> open
>>> license.
>>>
>>> -Sarah
>>>

>>> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]

>>>  Andy Mabbett, 08/02/2013 14:57:

>>> recordings-voices-wikipedia-**wikimedia-commons/<http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/>

>>> in

>>> --
>>> --
>>> *Sarah Stierch*
>>> *Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedia*
>>> *www.sarahstierch.com*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,