[Wikimedia-l] "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani language

[Wikimedia-l] "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani language

Osmar Valdebenito
This week, Wikimedia Argentina published the first edition of "Vikipetã
mbo'eha kotýpe" [1], "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani, an indigenous
language spoken in Northern Argentina, Paraguay and Bolivia. It is the
first Wikipedia related publication made in an American indigenous language.

The goal of “Wikipedia in the classroom”, made originally in Spanish, is to
help teachers to understand what is Wikipedia, how it works and how they
can use it in an useful way. Most students already use Wikipedia so it is
really important that teachers know what to do.

“Wikipedia in the classroom” is an initiative launched in 2010 by Wikimedia
Argentina with the support of different institutions, including the
Education portal of the Argentine government, educ.ar. They released an
special website about the project.[2] Wikimedia Argentina will print 500
booklets of the Guarani edition to be distributed in schools and other
educational institutions, and we expect to publish new editions in other
indigenous languages in 2013.

Kind regards,

Osmar Valdebenito G.
Director Ejecutivo
A. C. Wikimedia Argentina

[1]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vikipet%C3%A3_mbo%27eha_kot%C3%BDpe.jpg
[2] http://wikipediaenelaula.educ.ar/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani language

M. Williamson
I think an even better initiative would be to involve native speakers
in writing articles and taking leadership positions at the Guarani
Wikipedia. It is currently written exclusively by language
learner-enthusiasts, although they do receive occasional help from
Ateneo de Lengua y Cultura Guaraní. There are no native speaker admins
either, as far as I am aware.

This is a tragedy, considering Guaraní is the main language of
Paraguay, it is official in two countries (Paraguay and Bolivia) and
in some provinces in a third (Argentina) and widely used in Brazil as
well.

In fact, why do we never hear the fact that none of the Wikipedias in
indigenous languages of the Americas are currently written or
administered by actual native speakers of those languages (again, as
far as I know, and with the exception of one native speaking former
editor on the Navajo Wikipedia)? The one Wikipedia that has made
promising progress towards breaking this unfortunate pattern is the
Yucatec Wikipedia, which unfortunately has been kept ghettoized in the
incubator by the overly restrictive policies enforced by a couple of
members of Langcom, in spite of the community interest and
participation in the project.

Wikipedia will never take off in non-European minority languages if it
is exclusively written and administered by outsiders.

(I should add that many of the editors and administrators have done
great work, and written lots of quality articles; in the case of the
Navajo and Quechua Wikipedias, I know them to be competent,
expert-level speakers of the languages, but unfortunately this is
still not a viable replacement for the native speaker involvement - it
is a good complement to it, but not a replacement)

Can you imagine the Spanish Wikipedia written _only_ by people
studying Spanish as a second language? Could it ever become a major
reference work for native speakers, if that were the case?

2012/12/16, Osmar Valdebenito <[hidden email]>:

> This week, Wikimedia Argentina published the first edition of "Vikipetã
> mbo'eha kotýpe" [1], "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani, an indigenous
> language spoken in Northern Argentina, Paraguay and Bolivia. It is the
> first Wikipedia related publication made in an American indigenous
> language.
>
> The goal of “Wikipedia in the classroom”, made originally in Spanish, is to
> help teachers to understand what is Wikipedia, how it works and how they
> can use it in an useful way. Most students already use Wikipedia so it is
> really important that teachers know what to do.
>
> “Wikipedia in the classroom” is an initiative launched in 2010 by Wikimedia
> Argentina with the support of different institutions, including the
> Education portal of the Argentine government, educ.ar. They released an
> special website about the project.[2] Wikimedia Argentina will print 500
> booklets of the Guarani edition to be distributed in schools and other
> educational institutions, and we expect to publish new editions in other
> indigenous languages in 2013.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Osmar Valdebenito G.
> Director Ejecutivo
> A. C. Wikimedia Argentina
>
> [1]
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vikipet%C3%A3_mbo%27eha_kot%C3%BDpe.jpg
> [2] http://wikipediaenelaula.educ.ar/

skype: node.ue

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani language

Osmar Valdebenito
I totally agree with you. That's why we also had activities with native
speakers of Guarani, Aymara and Mapudungun in Buenos Aires teaching them
about Wikipedia and now we are giving another step. We are not saying that
with "Wikipedia in the classroom" everything is done.

We, as Iberocoop members, have discussed the approach with indigenous
languages in different opportunities (especially in Iberoconf 2012 in
Santiago) and we know that chapters should help the communities to develop
their own projects, and not replace them, considering none of us are native
speakers. Of course, I have learnt (in my case) some Mapudungun and I can
help editing, but it is not our goal. Wikimedia Venezuela has been doing a
great job with Wayuunaki speakers and also Wikimedia Mexico with different
languages (I'm not sure and probably Iván can correct me, but I think the
Yucatec was one of them). Wikimedia Chile contacted several Mapuche
organizations for the development of the Mapudungun Wikipedia and Wikimedia
Argentina has been doing the same in the past years.

Osmar Valdebenito G.

2012/12/16 M. Williamson <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> Wikimedia
> > Argentina with the support of different institutions, including the
> > Education portal of the Argentine government, educ.ar. They released an
> > special website about the project.[2] Wikimedia Argentina will print 500
> > booklets of the Guarani edition to be distributed in schools and other
> > educational institutions, and we expect to publish new editions in other
> > indigenous languages in 2013.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Osmar Valdebenito G.
> > Director Ejecutivo
> > A. C. Wikimedia Argentina
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vikipet%C3%A3_mbo%27eha_kot%C3%BDpe.jpg
> > [2] http://wikipediaenelaula.educ.ar/

> skype: node.ue

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani language

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
First: correction ->  "in Guarani, an indigenous language spoken in
Northern Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia" and *Brazil*

Second:correct link ->
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vikipet%C3%A3_mbo%27eha_kot%C3%BDpe.pdf

Third: I just found it odd, producing a material that advances borders, and
not invite others to work together, since you say that the idea of cooperation
group (Iberocoop) was WMAR who invented.

On 17 December 2012 10:32, Osmar Valdebenito <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> is
> > > help teachers to understand what is Wikipedia, how it works and how
> they
> > > can use it in an useful way. Most students already use Wikipedia so it
> is
> > > really important that teachers know what to do.
> > >
> > > “Wikipedia in the classroom” is an initiative launched in 2010 by
> > Wikimedia
> > > Argentina with the support of different institutions, including the
> > > Education portal of the Argentine government, educ.ar. They released
> an
> > > special website about the project.[2] Wikimedia Argentina will print
> 500
> > > booklets of the Guarani edition to be distributed in schools and other
> > > educational institutions, and we expect to publish new editions in

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
[hidden email]
+55 11 97 97 18 884

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani language

Everton Zanella Alvarenga
Caro Osmar,

I would like to congratulate you and Wikimedia Argentina for this
work. I've seen also Wikimedia Argentina booklet in Spanish about one
month ago, and I liked your initiave

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_en_el_aula.pdf

And as pointed out in the following discussion, this can be used in
Brazil. Even in São Paulo, for instance, we have some indigeous who
speak Guarani. Let's hope some volunteers from Wikimedia Brasil can
use them in the classroom!

Saludos!

Tom

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Osmar Valdebenito
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This week, Wikimedia Argentina published the first edition of "Vikipetã
> mbo'eha kotýpe" [1], "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani, an indigenous
> language spoken in Northern Argentina, Paraguay and Bolivia. It is the
> first Wikipedia related publication made in an American indigenous language.
>
> The goal of “Wikipedia in the classroom”, made originally in Spanish, is to
> help teachers to understand what is Wikipedia, how it works and how they
> can use it in an useful way. Most students already use Wikipedia so it is
> really important that teachers know what to do.
>
> “Wikipedia in the classroom” is an initiative launched in 2010 by Wikimedia
> Argentina with the support of different institutions, including the
> Education portal of the Argentine government, educ.ar. They released an
> special website about the project.[2] Wikimedia Argentina will print 500
> booklets of the Guarani edition to be distributed in schools and other
> educational institutions, and we expect to publish new editions in other
> indigenous languages in 2013.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Osmar Valdebenito G.
> Director Ejecutivo
> A. C. Wikimedia Argentina
>
> [1]
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vikipet%C3%A3_mbo%27eha_kot%C3%BDpe.jpg
> [2] http://wikipediaenelaula.educ.ar/

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani language

Osmar Valdebenito
Hi Everton!
It will be amazing if you can use it in Brazil. We need all the possible
feedback to improve the booklet for following editions.