[Wikimedia-l] statistics of usage of wikimedia project per language used in the interface

[Wikimedia-l] statistics of usage of wikimedia project per language used in the interface

Charles Andrès-2
Dear all,
Is there a way to know how many people use Wikipedia per interface language? Said in other words, I want to know how many people display the Wikimedia project interface in the different version of German and Alemannisch.

Thanks for your help

Charles

Charles ANDRES, Chief Science Officer
"Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
www.wikimedia.ch <http://www.wikimedia.ch/>
Skype: charles.andres.wmch
IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch <irc://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] statistics of usage of wikimedia project per language used in the interface

Federico Leva (Nemo)
charles andrès (WMCH), 04/02/2015 14:25:
> Is there a way to know how many people use Wikipedia per interface language?

No.

> Said in other words, I want to know how many people display the Wikimedia project interface in the different version of German and Alemannisch.

Until https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T58464 is fixed (hopefully in
this decade), the requests with non-default language are negligible.*
What makes you think that you need such a level of precision and
https://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesPageViewsMonthlyCombined.htm is not
enough?

Once the use case for such precise numbers is clarified, probably we can
extract exact data with a method similar to
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T65416 after it's fixed (hopefully
this year; the bug has made localisation and new subdomain requests
practically impossible or unfeasible in dozens languages, for many
months now).

Nemo

(*) Even considering the sum of requests with uselang parameter** and of
registered users with a non-default language choice in preferences.
(**) Even in Commons, despite all the uselang-specific incoming links
and the language selection gadget.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] statistics of usage of wikimedia project per language used in the interface

Romaine Wiki-2
For Belgium I would like to know something different. Belgium doesn't have
a primary language, but have Dutch, French, German and English. All these
Wikipedia have other countries with a larger population where they speak
the various languages. What would be interesting for us is to know what
subjects are visited most in Belgium. This would be interesting per
language, but also the languages combined (through interwiki
links/Wikidata).

Romaine

> charles andrès (WMCH), 04/02/2015 14:25:
>
>> Is there a way to know how many people use Wikipedia per interface
>> language?
>>

> No.
>
>  Said in other words, I want to know how many people display the Wikimedia
>> project interface in the different version of German and Alemannisch.
>>

> Until https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T58464 is fixed (hopefully in
> this decade), the requests with non-default language are negligible.* What
> makes you think that you need such a level of precision and
> https://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesPageViewsMonthlyCombined.htm is not
> enough?
>
> Once the use case for such precise numbers is clarified, probably we can
> extract exact data with a method similar to https://phabricator.wikimedia.
> org/T65416 after it's fixed (hopefully this year; the bug has made
> localisation and new subdomain requests practically impossible or
> unfeasible in dozens languages, for many months now).
>
> Nemo
>
> (*) Even considering the sum of requests with uselang parameter** and of
> registered users with a non-default language choice in preferences.
> (**) Even in Commons, despite all the uselang-specific incoming links and
> the language selection gadget.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] statistics of usage of wikimedia project per language used in the interface

Pine W
I think that aggregated geodata like this might be available. I am adding
Analytics to this email thread.

Pine