[Wikimedia-l] translation by importing articles

[Wikimedia-l] translation by importing articles

Amir E. Aharoni
Hi,

I looked at my contribution in the German Wikipedia[1] and noticed some
unusual things:
* I have many more contributions there than I thought I do.
* I did some very strange edits, such as adding a category with an
*English* name[2]

"Why would I do such a thing?", I thought.

Then I realized that some articles in the German Wikipedia are imported
with all their old versions when they are being translated. So these edits
were actually in the English Wikipedia.

Is it a usual practice in the German Wikipedia? What is the reason for it?
Is there a policy page about it?
Are there are Wikipedia projects that do this?

Thanks!

[1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Beitr%C3%A4ge/Amire80
[2]
https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jasmine_%28JavaScript%29&diff=prev&oldid=126861042

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] translation by importing articles

Romaine Wiki-2
> Is it a usual practice in the German Wikipedia? What is the reason for it?
> Is there a policy page about it?
> Are there are Wikipedia projects that do this?

This is because the import function works this way. I think it would be
better if imported revisions are marked as with origin from another
Wikipedia.
That it works this way is on all wikis which import pages.

Romaine

> Hi,
>
> I looked at my contribution in the German Wikipedia[1] and noticed some
> unusual things:
> * I have many more contributions there than I thought I do.
> * I did some very strange edits, such as adding a category with an
> *English* name[2]
>
> "Why would I do such a thing?", I thought.
>
> Then I realized that some articles in the German Wikipedia are imported
> with all their old versions when they are being translated. So these edits
> were actually in the English Wikipedia.
>
> Is it a usual practice in the German Wikipedia? What is the reason for it?
> Is there a policy page about it?
> Are there are Wikipedia projects that do this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Beitr%C3%A4ge/Amire80
> [2]
>
> https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jasmine_%28JavaScript%29&diff=prev&oldid=126861042

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] translation by importing articles

Amir E. Aharoni
I understand that importing shows edits with the same username as if they
were done in the target wiki.

My question is different:
1. Is it the usual practice for the German Wikipedia to do an import when
translation is done? If yes, why?
2. Are there other wikis that do an import when translation is done?

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> > Is it a usual practice in the German Wikipedia? What is the reason for
> it?
> > Is there a policy page about it?
> > Are there are Wikipedia projects that do this?
>
> This is because the import function works this way. I think it would be
> better if imported revisions are marked as with origin from another
> Wikipedia.
> That it works this way is on all wikis which import pages.
>
> Romaine

> > Hi,
> >
> > I looked at my contribution in the German Wikipedia[1] and noticed some
> > unusual things:
> > * I have many more contributions there than I thought I do.
> > * I did some very strange edits, such as adding a category with an
> > *English* name[2]
> >
> > "Why would I do such a thing?", I thought.
> >
> > Then I realized that some articles in the German Wikipedia are imported
> > with all their old versions when they are being translated. So these
> edits
> > were actually in the English Wikipedia.
> >
> > Is it a usual practice in the German Wikipedia? What is the reason for
> it?
> > Is there a policy page about it?
> > Are there are Wikipedia projects that do this?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > [1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Beitr%C3%A4ge/Amire80
> > [2]
> >

> https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jasmine_%28JavaScript%29&diff=prev&oldid=126861042
> >
> > --
> > Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
> > http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> > ‪“We're living in pieces,
> > I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] translation by importing articles

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Amir E. Aharoni, 04/10/2014 15:09:

> Is it a usual practice in the German Wikipedia?

Yes.

> What is the reason for it?

GFDL

> Is there a policy page about it?

Probably in the neighbourhood of
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Importw%C3%BCnsche

> Are there are Wikipedia projects that do this?

No, only German projects.
The list of projects which make special use of import is at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Importer

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] translation by importing articles

Leigh Thelmadatter
this is cool, I can easily see that at least some of my articles are being translated to German!

> Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 16:33:52 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] translation by importing articles
>
> Amir E. Aharoni, 04/10/2014 15:09:
> >
> > Is it a usual practice in the German Wikipedia?
>
> Yes.
>
> > What is the reason for it?
>
> GFDL
>
> > Is there a policy page about it?
>
> Probably in the neighbourhood of
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Importw%C3%BCnsche
>
> > Are there are Wikipedia projects that do this?
>
> No, only German projects.
> The list of projects which make special use of import is at
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Importer
>
> Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] translation by importing articles

Mark
On 10/4/14, 4:33 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
>> Are there are Wikipedia projects that do this?
>
> No, only German projects.
> The list of projects which make special use of import is at
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Importer

I just did some spot-checking, and there are edits of mine from en that
have been imported to at least el and fr, in addition to de. So at least
in the past it's been used more widely.

-Mark