[Wikimedia-l] what made me happy this week

[Wikimedia-l] what made me happy this week

James Salsman-2

Re: [Wikimedia-l] what made me happy this week

quiddity-2
James, that video does Not seem to have any connection to the
Wikimedia movement. (I checked the credits, but didn't watch the whole
song).
Please don't distract the hundreds of subscribers here with irrelevant content.
Bare links without any explanation are also an anti-pattern to avoid.
Thanks.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 6:13 PM, James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=150&v=Eijc2tGe-zM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] what made me happy this week

quiddity-2
My mistake, there is a one line reference to Wikipedia in the lyrics.
(The time_continue parameter didn't work on my first play through, but
I checked again to be sure and then I heard the reference.) Sorry for
the mistake. My other points stand. </grump>

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 6:29 PM, quiddity <[hidden email]> wrote:

> James, that video does Not seem to have any connection to the
> Wikimedia movement. (I checked the credits, but didn't watch the whole
> song).
> Please don't distract the hundreds of subscribers here with irrelevant content.
> Bare links without any explanation are also an anti-pattern to avoid.
> Thanks.
>
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 6:13 PM, James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=150&v=Eijc2tGe-zM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] what made me happy this week

Léa Lacroix
What makes me happy today: the WikidataCon, the first international
conference dedicated to the WIkidata community, is about to start, and will
be live-streamed :)

The link to access the livestream is: http://streaming.media.ccc.de/
wikidatacon2017

The conference will be broadcasted from today at *11:00 (UTC+2)*, starting
with the talk "State of the project" by Lydia Pintscher. The content
of the *rooms
A, A1, A2 and A3* will be streamed, unless the speaker requests not to be
recorded.

You can find the program here https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/
Wikidata:WikidataCon_2017/Program/Saturday

The videos will also be available later under CC-BY-SA: I'll share the
links with you as soon as possible.

Best,

On 28 October 2017 at 03:36, quiddity <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My mistake, there is a one line reference to Wikipedia in the lyrics.
> (The time_continue parameter didn't work on my first play through, but
> I checked again to be sure and then I heard the reference.) Sorry for
> the mistake. My other points stand. </grump>
>
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 6:29 PM, quiddity <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > James, that video does Not seem to have any connection to the
> > Wikimedia movement. (I checked the credits, but didn't watch the whole
> > song).
> > Please don't distract the hundreds of subscribers here with irrelevant
> content.
> > Bare links without any explanation are also an anti-pattern to avoid.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 6:13 PM, James Salsman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=150&v=Eijc2tGe-zM

Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für

[Wikimedia-l] Wikidata and CC0 [was Re: what made me happy this week]

Mathieu Stumpf Guntz
Thank you Léa for the link,

I seize the opportunity to also ask anyone who have links related to
Wikidata and the choice of CC0 as license for this project.

What Wikidata already achieved and its further possibilities is very
attractive to me. But so far CC0 is a far more repulsive point. Now
maybe with more documentation I might change my mind, I think at least I
should make some research to have a more informed opinion on the topic.
So any documentation is welcome on how it was decided, what have been
the misc. pros/cons highlighted, how was the community involved (or not)
in the decision.

Also, I heard last week during Wikiconvention Francophone that there are
some actions on sister projects that generate content on Wikidata,
without informing the user it does so. Afterward I was explained with
more precise statements, saying that it was things like syslogs stored
in Wikidata. I would like to be sure:

  * what actions on sister projects might generate publication of what
    kind of data on Wikidata
  * and that legal enquiries have been done about that. So we are
    certain that none of this publication might create legal threats. As
    I understand it, the user action end up with published (unlike raw
    syslog) data under a license which wasn't explicitly agreed. Or
    hopefully, I was misinformed, or misunderstood something.

Thanks again for the link, I think I will watch the conference about
Wiktionary with much interest and profit other records to learn more
about the project.

Cheers

Le 28/10/2017 à 09:31, Léa Lacroix a écrit :

> What makes me happy today: the WikidataCon, the first international
> conference dedicated to the WIkidata community, is about to start, and will
> be live-streamed :)
>
> The link to access the livestream is: http://streaming.media.ccc.de/
> wikidatacon2017
>
> The conference will be broadcasted from today at *11:00 (UTC+2)*, starting
> with the talk "State of the project" by Lydia Pintscher. The content
> of the *rooms
> A, A1, A2 and A3* will be streamed, unless the speaker requests not to be
> recorded.
>
> You can find the program here https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/
> Wikidata:WikidataCon_2017/Program/Saturday
>
> The videos will also be available later under CC-BY-SA: I'll share the
> links with you as soon as possible.
>
> Best,
>
> On 28 October 2017 at 03:36, quiddity <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My mistake, there is a one line reference to Wikipedia in the lyrics.
>> (The time_continue parameter didn't work on my first play through, but
>> I checked again to be sure and then I heard the reference.) Sorry for
>> the mistake. My other points stand. </grump>
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 6:29 PM, quiddity <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> James, that video does Not seem to have any connection to the
>>> Wikimedia movement. (I checked the credits, but didn't watch the whole
>>> song).
>>> Please don't distract the hundreds of subscribers here with irrelevant
>> content.
>>> Bare links without any explanation are also an anti-pattern to avoid.
>>> Thanks.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikidata and CC0 [was Re: what made me happy this week]

Andreas Kolbe-2
Hi,

Here are a few places where the choice of CC0 for Wikidata was discussed:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikidata#Is_CC_the_right_license_for_data.3F

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours/Office_hours_2012-12-18a

https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikidata//2012-April/thread.html#146

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2015-12-02/Op-ed
(including the comments below)

Best,
Andreas

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 1:10 AM, mathieu stumpf guntz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> with the talk "State of the project" by Lydia Pintscher. The content
>> of the *rooms
>> A, A1, A2 and A3* will be streamed, unless the speaker requests not to be
>> recorded.
>>
>> You can find the program here https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/
>> Wikidata:WikidataCon_2017/Program/Saturday
>>
>> The videos will also be available later under CC-BY-SA: I'll share the
>> links with you as soon as possible.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> On 28 October 2017 at 03:36, quiddity <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My mistake, there is a one line reference to Wikipedia in the lyrics.
>>> (The time_continue parameter didn't work on my first play through, but
>>> I checked again to be sure and then I heard the reference.) Sorry for
>>> the mistake. My other points stand. </grump>

>>> content.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] what made me happy this week

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else remember the controversy from 2010?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/pda/2010/aug/11/newport-state-of-mind-youtube

I was happy that YouTube put the video back as a protected derivative work,
but posting it to this list apparently made them take it down again. I
would normally not be made happy by that, but in this instance it makes me
happy because it's a perfect opening to ask Google to petition the
Copyright Royalty Board to adjust the compulsory royalties so that
distribution to artists falls i. The same incidence as it did in the 1970s,
prior to the advent of mass consumer copying, when artists, authors, and
performers earned about three times the median of what they do today, and
the top publishing conglomerates earned proportionally less.

If this something the Foundation can support?