[Wikimedia-l] .wiki TLD

Richard Symonds-3
All,

Just to let you know that the .wiki TLD has been applied for by 'Mr Raymond
King' from 'Top level Design LLC'.  The company has successfully submitted
10 applications to ICANN for: .blog <http://icannwiki.com/index.php/.blog>,
.design <http://icannwiki.com/index.php/.design>,
.style<http://icannwiki.com/index.php/.style>
, .art <http://icannwiki.com/index.php/.art>,
.ink<http://icannwiki.com/index.php/.ink>
, .wiki <http://icannwiki.com/index.php/.wiki>,
.gay<http://icannwiki.com/index.php/.gay>
, .llc <http://icannwiki.com/index.php/.llc>,
.group<http://icannwiki.com/index.php/.group>,
and .photography <http://icannwiki.com/index.php/.photography>.

Little bit confused as to who this chap is... any ideas? More info at
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/application-results/strings-1200utc-13jun12-en
 .

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992
Disclaimer viewable at
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Email_disclaimer
Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] .wiki TLD

Casey Brown-5
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Little bit confused as to who this chap is... any ideas?

It looks like he works for AboutUs.org:
<http://icannwiki.com/index.php/Raymond_King>

--
Casey Brown (Cbrown1023)
caseybrown.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] .wiki TLD

phoebe ayers-3
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Richard Symonds
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Little bit confused as to who this chap is... any ideas?
>
> It looks like he works for AboutUs.org:
> <http://icannwiki.com/index.php/Raymond_King>

Yep :) He's been a core part of the wider wiki community for a long
time and is personally involved with ICANN as well.

-- phoebe

Re: [Wikimedia-l] .wiki TLD

James Salsman-2
Someone is willing to pay $210K for the .wiki TLD? The Foundation
could have had it for $120,000 in 2009, per Rod Beckstrom's quote. I
did an analysis showing it would have probably have been worth it then
in amount of time an extreme compact URL would have saved typing.  It
turned out that users' time would have only had to have been worth
$1.50/hour for it to pay for itself in five years, but since then
combined search/URL bars have become far more prevalent, so I'm sure
that's gone up along with the price. Meh.