Wikimedia moves to Ubuntu press stories

David Gerard-2
All over the computer press this morning:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9116787

Also in the Slashdot queue, please click up:

http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=1290215

This is a geekly-interest story that draws attention to what we do
behind the scenes, not just having a nice popular website but how we
get there. And, of course, how to do a top 10 website on approximately
NO MONEY (give or take a few million, but you'll be going *way* down
the Alexa ranks to find a site that does as much as we do with so
little).

Many of the comments on the press stories are armchair sysadmins going
"fools, why not my-fave-distro?!" - if someone could please write a
note on "why Ubuntu", it would likely be useful for press purposes.

- d.

Re: Wikimedia moves to Ubuntu press stories

David Gerard-2
2008/10/10 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:

> All over the computer press this morning:
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9116787
> Also in the Slashdot queue, please click up:
> http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=1290215

Slashdot story up:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/10/1520200

Do feel free to stop by and enlighten with factual information as
appropriate :-)

- d.

Re: Wikimedia moves to Ubuntu press stories

Tei-2
http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=991875&cid=25329349
Brion wrote:
>We liked it better
> It's nice that people can run the same version locally (who runs CentOS on their desktop? Playing CentOS vs RHEL just feels like a big > fat kludge and tells you there's something broken about the distro.)
> Unlike Debian stable, and like Fedora, it's updated fairly frequently so we get a decent rate of package updates for infrastructure...
> ...unlike Fedora, it's not so bleeding edge that things die all the time (SELinux breaking everything, yay!)
> ...and Canonical actually puts out security updates for a decent amount of time.

Maybe I am a sad person, but every time I upgrade from version N to
version N+2 on ubuntu, the 50% of the stuff broke (mostly X related
stuff).  Seems debian upgrades are painless.

But he!..  I am not sysadmin. I even use XP on home to play games :-P.
Also, seems upgrading ubuntu from version N to N+1 seems more stable.

I know a girl that work on a computer from the GRID, and also use some
distro optimized for desktop useage. To me is crazy. But maybe more is
to be made with a system you know and love, to with some "better"
distro that you don't love and know much less.  Also, seems all
feedback about debian-ish stuff is ubuntu related. Sysadmins seems
much dependants of Google searches (?). And google search has become
some sort of "Ubuntu manual", while information about debian stuff is
often below a pile of random crap (the "for humans" motto seems to
work here, googling for information in google using "Debian" + "error
message" always show crazy useless craps from logs and robots, never
forums with sane or usable information.

ℱin del ℳensaje.

Re: Wikimedia moves to Ubuntu press stories

Bugzilla from nsk@karastathis.org
Le samedi 11 octobre 2008 à 16:21 +0000, [hidden email] a écrit :

> From: Tei <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Wikimedia moves to Ubuntu press stories

> Seems debian upgrades are painless.

Yes, a Debian upgrade has never created any problems for me.

> Sysadmins seems
> much dependants of Google searches (?). And google search has become
> some sort of "Ubuntu manual", while information about debian stuff is
> often below a pile of random crap (the "for humans" motto seems to
> work here, googling for information in google using "Debian" + "error
> message" always show crazy useless craps from logs and robots, never
> forums with sane or usable information.

Debian is a community distribution.  This means that, supposing you have
RTFM and didn't find an answer there, and that the question is not
trivial, the best way to get answers is to ask a fellow Debian user in
the community.  It's from person to person, either via IRC or mailing
lists, not through impersonal searches that you get the most useful
answers.

NSK Nikolaos S. Karastathis, http://karastathis.org/

Re: Wikimedia moves to Ubuntu press stories

Lane, Ryan
> Maybe I am a sad person, but every time I upgrade from version N to
> version N+2 on ubuntu, the 50% of the stuff broke (mostly X related
> stuff).  Seems debian upgrades are painless.
>
> But he!..  I am not sysadmin. I even use XP on home to play games :-P.
> Also, seems upgrading ubuntu from version N to N+1 seems more stable.

I have never been a fan of upgrades. Unlike home users and small shops,
most large environments use installation servers, configuration
management servers, shared storage, and a bunch of other things that
generally make upgrades even more painful than fresh installs.

When your systems look the same, it is easy to get the new (kickstart)
image ready, and install systems in batches. You have to do the same
amount of work when you upgrade, if not more, since you have to update
your configuration files in your configuration management repo, re-test
all of your software, and ensure the upgrade was actually sucessful (on
each system!).

> I know a girl that work on a computer from the GRID, and also use some
> distro optimized for desktop useage. To me is crazy. But maybe more is
> to be made with a system you know and love, to with some "better"
> distro that you don't love and know much less.  Also, seems all
> feedback about debian-ish stuff is ubuntu related. Sysadmins seems
> much dependants of Google searches (?). And google search has become
> some sort of "Ubuntu manual", while information about debian stuff is
> often below a pile of random crap (the "for humans" motto seems to
> work here, googling for information in google using "Debian" + "error
> message" always show crazy useless craps from logs and robots, never
> forums with sane or usable information.

I often don't have to search for any specific distro when I'm searching
for stuff. Although part of sysadmin is dealing with distro specific
info, it is more usually dealing with applications inside of the distro,
like Apache, MySQL, NFS, etc., which are not distro specific.

My point in saying this is that most good sysadmins can switch between
distros without issue; the knowledge base is essentially the same.

Back on topic though; doesn't Debian have a hideously long release
cycle? One of the reasons I never used Debian for servers was because I
didn't want to have to use unstable/testing for everything, and the
stable stuff was always too old.

V/r,

Ryan Lane

Re: Wikimedia moves to Ubuntu press stories

Tei-2
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Lane, Ryan
> I have never been a fan of upgrades. Unlike home users and small shops,
> most large environments use installation servers, configuration
> management servers, shared storage, and a bunch of other things that
> generally make upgrades even more painful than fresh installs.

Cool. Then ubuntu could be a good option.

[...]
> Back on topic though; doesn't Debian have a hideously long release
> cycle? One of the reasons I never used Debian for servers was because I
> didn't want to have to use unstable/testing for everything, and the
> stable stuff was always too old.

IANSYS (I am not sysadmin) but, Is not ubuntu debian/unstable with a
different hat?

ℱin del ℳensaje.

Re: Wikimedia moves to Ubuntu press stories

Marco Schuster-2

> IANSYS (I am not sysadmin) but, Is not ubuntu debian/unstable with a
> different hat?

I'd more consider it as a mix of Debian unstable and testing, together with
some nice expansions which come really good in desktop usage (it's so easy
at Ubuntu to get e.g. stuff like decss running, that's a PITA on debian).

Marco

Re: Wikimedia moves to Ubuntu press stories

Brion Vibber-3