Wikimedia production excellence (May 2019)

Wikimedia production excellence (May 2019)

Krinkle
πŸ“˜ Read on Phabricator at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/live/1/post/162/
-------

How’d we do in our strive for operational excellence last month? Read on to
find out!

## πŸ“Š Month in numbers

* 6 documented incidents. [1]
* 41 new Wikimedia-prod-error tasks created. [2]
* 36 Wikimedia-prod-error tasks closed. [3]

The number of incidents in May of this year was comparable to previous
years (6 in May 2019, 2 in May 2018, 5 in May 2017), and previous months (6
in May, 8 in April, 8 in March) – comparisons at <
https://codepen.io/Krinkle/full/wbYMZK>.

To read more about these incidents, their investigations, and pending
actionables; check <
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation#2019>.

As of writing, there are 201 open Wikimedia-prod-error tasks (up from 186
last month). [4]

-------

## πŸ“‰  Current problems

Take a look at the workboard and look for tasks that might need your help.
The workboard lists known issues, grouped by the month in which they were
first observed.
β†’  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikimedia-production-error/

Or help someone that’s already started with their patch:
β†’  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/pzVPXPeMfRIz/#R

Breakdown of recent months (past two weeks not included):

* November: 2 issues left (unchanged).
* December: 1 issue got fixed. 3 issues left (down from 4).
* January: 1 issue left (unchanged).
* February: 2 issues left (unchanged).
* March: 1 issue got fixed. 4 issues remaining (down from 5).
* April: 2 issues got fixed. 12 issues remain unresolved (down from 14).
* May: 10 new issues found last month survived the month of June, and
remain unresolved.

By steward and software component, unresolved issues from April and May:

* Wikidata / Lexeme (API query fatal):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T223995
* Wikidata / WikibaseRepo (API Fatal hasSlot):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T225104
* Wikidata / WikibaseRepo (Diff link fatal):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224270
* Wikidata / WikibaseRepo (Edit undo fatal):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224030
* Growth / Echo (Notification storage):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T217079
* Growth / Flow (Topic link fatal):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224098
* Growth / Page deletion (File pages):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T222691
* Multimedia or CPT / API (Image info fatal):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T221812
* CPT / PHP7 refactoring (File descriptions):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T223728
* CPT / Title refactor (Block log fatal):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224811
* CPT / Title refactor (Pageview fatals):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224814
* ⚠️(Unstewarded) Page renaming: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T223175,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T205675

πŸ’‘Ideas: To suggest an investigation to write about in a future edition,
contact me by e-mail, or private message on IRC.

-------

## πŸŽ‰ Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who has helped by reporting, investigating, or
resolving problems in Wikimedia production.

Until next time,

– Timo Tijhof

πŸŽ™β€œIt’s not too shabby is it?”

-------