Wikimedia's role in education in emergencies and crises

Wikimedia's role in education in emergencies and crises

john cummings-3
Hi all

I have the possibility of presenting at the UNESCO Learning Week in March on the role of open licensing and Wikimedia in education in emergencies and crises. I haven't been able to find out much information about the subject, does anyone have any resources they could recommend?

www.unesco.org/new/en/mlw

Thanks

John

Re: Wikimedia's role in education in emergencies and crises

Shani Evenstein
If I understand you correctly, seems like a good opportunity to mention medical content on Wikipedia, and the efforts to translate the 100 most important medical articles (now already 700) to as many languages as possible, as well as create an offline app with all medical content, which we now have in 10 languages. This can literally be the difference between life and death in the developing world and could come in handy in times of various types of crises.
CCing Doc James, who can direct you to the best and most updated resource about that.

Best,
Shani.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 4:06 PM, john cummings <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all

I have the possibility of presenting at the UNESCO Learning Week in March on the role of open licensing and Wikimedia in education in emergencies and crises. I haven't been able to find out much information about the subject, does anyone have any resources they could recommend?

www.unesco.org/new/en/mlw

Thanks

John

Re: Wikimedia's role in education in emergencies and crises

Tighe Flanagan
Sounds like a great opportunity, and the WikiMed example is super relevant, indeed

Nichole and I (on the WMF education program team) were actually discussing this very event yesterday. I'm copying her as well as the education list, in case there are additional ideas we can surface.

Cheers,
Tighe

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 6:21 AM Shani <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sent from my mobile device

Re: [Wikimedia Education] Wikimedia's role in education in emergencies and crises

john cummings-3
Thanks very much for all your answers guys, please keep them coming :)

On 11 January 2017 at 22:22, Nichole Saad <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi John,

I think the medical accomplishments would be great to share in terms of Wikimedia's relevance in humanitarian response. For the UNESCO Mobile learning week they are looking for presentations on technology that impacts learners, teachers or education systems. You can check out ineesite.org to get an understanding of Education in Emergencies and hopefully that will help you with some ideas :).

all the best,

Nichole

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:23 AM, Tighe Flanagan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
When I read the Unesco website my impression was that our medical content is not really what they are on about. What we have is encyclopaedic but it is not educational. When you think about educational it is very much about subjects that matter to the teachers and students. Key is availability and there are several components to think about. When we consider content, Kiwix is a tool with a proven track record to make things available, it allows for having the content local. The next thing is language. English is understood by many but the fact of the matter is that for students local language is key. This is where we often suck. This may mean that our content may be understood by teachers but not by students.

When you consider Wikipedia, it is served from servers mainly in the USA. This means that Internet availability is key. Wikipedia Zero is in this relevant. It makes our content available at no additional cost. The biggest problem but also the biggest opportunity is to enable them to write Wikipedia articles or to translate Wikipedia articles. Only then will people really familiarise themselves with Wikipedia and only then they will get the most out of it.

When you consider the sheer number of refugees in our world, you may like I do a pent up demand for positive activity. These people are often well educated and they have nothing to do. Give them a possibility to edit Wikipedia in their own language on the subjects they deem important and our Wikipedias in the languages of the refugees will mushroom.

When we are serious about content in other languages we will consider such approaches. We do have the contacts and ideas like this have been floated before. Some arguments for bigots; when you give these people something to do locally, when they are cared for locally they will remain local. An approach like this is cheaper and less dramatic.

We spend a lot of money on our projects. I am sure an approach like this will get a heartfelt welcome by anyone who knows about refugees and refugee camps. It does not need to cost much and it can be operated by local NGO's. It will make Wikipedia a genuine world brand, a brand known worldwide.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 11 January 2017 at 15:20, Shani <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Asaf Bartov-2
this project is pretty inspiring:

I remember Cornelius (CCed) was involved.

   A.