Wikimedia's secret wikis

Jan Kučera
I see following wikis hold secred information:

http://internal.wikimedia.org
http://office.wikimedia.org
http://board.wikimedia.org

Imagine a world in which every single human being can NOT freely share in
the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.

Re: Wikimedia's secret wikis

Thomas Dalton
On 31 December 2011 00:52, Jan Kučera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I see following wikis hold secred information:
>
> http://internal.wikimedia.org
> http://office.wikimedia.org
> http://board.wikimedia.org
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can NOT freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.

We can imagine whatever worlds we like, but we have to live in the
real world. In the real world, not everything can be made publicly
available.

Re: Wikimedia's secret wikis

George William Herbert
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Jan Kučera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I see following wikis hold secred information:
>
> http://internal.wikimedia.org
> http://office.wikimedia.org
> http://board.wikimedia.org
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can NOT freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.

I don't want "the whole world" with the bank account info of the
foundation accounts, the colo access information for the datacenters,
the root passwords on things, the names and addresses of people who
have verified IDs to the foundation in the course of business or in
the course of abuse or content complaints.

Ask any open source project (be it code or information) to publicly
announce the equivalent information and see how far you get...

The existence of the foundation is necessary to buffer "the
encyclopedia" (and related projects) from the real world, forming a
minimum necessary barrier and supporting structure.

The existing situation isn't perfect - the community, board,
foundation staff are all wrestling with what degrees of openness work
in which sectors, when we have time to discuss it and work on it.  But
it's closed to the degree necessary to function in its job and role.

--
-george william herbert

Re: Wikimedia's secret wikis

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Jan Kučera, 31/12/2011 01:52:
> I see following wikis hold secred information:
>
> http://internal.wikimedia.org
> http://office.wikimedia.org
> http://board.wikimedia.org

Try harder: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_wikis#Private_wikis

Nemo

Re: Wikimedia's secret wikis

Pedro Sanchez-2
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jan Kučera, 31/12/2011 01:52:
>> I see following wikis hold secred information:
>>
>> http://internal.wikimedia.org
>> http://office.wikimedia.org
>> http://board.wikimedia.org
>
> Try harder: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_wikis#Private_wikis
>
> Nemo

That page seems to be incomplete. I know for sure of some private
wikis not listed

Re: Wikimedia's secret wikis

Patricio Molina
On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Pedro Sanchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That page seems to be incomplete. I know for sure of some private
> wikis not listed

Are you talking about http://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/private.dblist or
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_wikis#Private_wikis?

AFAIK private.dblist is dynamically generated and up-to-date.

--
Patricio Molina

Re: Wikimedia's secret wikis

Pedro Sanchez-2
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Patricio Molina
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Pedro Sanchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That page seems to be incomplete. I know for sure of some private
>> wikis not listed
>
> Are you talking about http://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/private.dblist or
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_wikis#Private_wikis?

meta's page