Wikimedians needed to help with traing on Thursday afternoon

Wikimedians needed to help with traing on Thursday afternoon

John Byrne-8
This Thursday there will be the first Wikipedia training session for
British Museum volunteers and other staff.  The idea was to have ideally
4 Wikimedians on hand, so we can help editing individually & answer
queries when the session becomes a general drop-in wikilounge type event
from c. 4.30.  So far we have 1.5 Wikimedians!

This is from the message sent to the BM people attending:

"The session will be held in the Moser Room downstairs, starting at
3.30, but please come a little early so we can sort out pc connections
etc, and be ready to get straight into the training at 3.30.  There will
be a formalish session for an hour, and then a further 30 mins or more
if people want to stay on and discuss things, ask questions or carry on
editing.  This period will also be advertised as general drop-in session
for queries to BM staff. Then probably to the pub.

There should be enough Wikipedians around to offer individual help where
needed, and on-line follow-up help will be available afterwards.  The
intention of the session is to provide basic editing skills to the point
where a short article can be started by - hopefully - each participant.
It is important that as many as possible of you have a laptop or netbook
to work on.  We can provide some of these, but please each let me know
if you will be able to bring your own or not.  Wifi will be available.

We will pretty much follow the tutorial here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tutorial, and please by all means
look through this in advance of the session.  Please also read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Five_pillars , which sets out in
a few hundred words the essentials of the principles behind editing.  I
would also like all participants to register an account, which involves
giving no personal details whatsoever (email address optional).  This
could also be done beforehand. "

If you can come, please bring any laptop/net books you can.  These are
total beginners, so the ground covered will be very basic.  You can take
a part of the main presentation to the class,  or just help round the
group, as you like.

All help greatly appreciated,

John Byrne/ Johnbod

Re: Wikimedians needed to help with traing on Thursday afternoon

Gordon Joly
On 03/09/2011 22:34, John Byrne wrote:
> his Thursday there will be the first Wikipedia training session for
> British Museum volunteers and other staff.  The idea was to have ideally
> 4 Wikimedians on hand, so we can help editing individually&  answer
> queries when the session becomes a general drop-in wikilounge type event
> from c. 4.30.  So far we have 1.5 Wikimedians!
The date being.....?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: Wikimedians needed to help with traing on Thursday afternoon

Thomas Dalton
On 4 September 2011 18:40, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 22:34, John Byrne wrote:
>> his Thursday there will be the first Wikipedia training session for
>> British Museum volunteers and other staff.  The idea was to have ideally
>> 4 Wikimedians on hand, so we can help editing individually&  answer
>> queries when the session becomes a general drop-in wikilounge type event
>> from c. 4.30.  So far we have 1.5 Wikimedians!
> The date being.....?

He said this Thursday.

Re: Wikimedians needed to help with traing on Thursday afternoon

Richard Symonds-2
8 September, I believe

On 4 September 2011 18:40, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 22:34, John Byrne wrote:
>> his Thursday there will be the first Wikipedia training session for
>> British Museum volunteers and other staff.  The idea was to have ideally
>> 4 Wikimedians on hand, so we can help editing individually&  answer
>> queries when the session becomes a general drop-in wikilounge type event
>> from c. 4.30.  So far we have 1.5 Wikimedians!
> The date being.....?

He said this Thursday.

On 04/09/2011 18:53, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 4 September 2011 18:40, Gordon Joly<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 03/09/2011 22:34, John Byrne wrote:
>>> his Thursday there will be the first Wikipedia training session for
>>> British Museum volunteers and other staff.  The idea was to have ideally
>>> 4 Wikimedians on hand, so we can help editing individually&    answer
>>> queries when the session becomes a general drop-in wikilounge type event
>>> from c. 4.30.  So far we have 1.5 Wikimedians!
>> The date being.....?
> He said this Thursday.

Thursday 8th?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Wikimedians needed to help with traing on Thursday afternoon

Richard Symonds-2
Yes :-)

On 04/09/2011 18:53, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 4 September 2011 18:40, Gordon Joly<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 03/09/2011 22:34, John Byrne wrote:
>>> his Thursday there will be the first Wikipedia training session for
>>> British Museum volunteers and other staff.  The idea was to have ideally
>>> 4 Wikimedians on hand, so we can help editing individually&    answer
>>> queries when the session becomes a general drop-in wikilounge type event
>>> from c. 4.30.  So far we have 1.5 Wikimedians!
>> The date being.....?
> He said this Thursday.

Thursday 8th?

Gordo

On 04/09/2011 19:04, Richard Symonds wrote:
> 8 September, I believe

Many thanks. I will try to get to the traing event.... but hold out little hope.

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Wikimedians needed to help with traing on Thursday afternoon

Michael Peel-4
If still in doubt, check the WMUK events list/calendar:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events
;-)

Mike

On 04/09/2011 21:27, Michael Peel wrote:
If still in doubt, check the WMUK events list/calendar:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events
;-)

Mike

13.30-17.00 British Museum internal workshop (lead: Johnbod, facilitators needed)

Is that correct?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Wikimedians needed to help with traing on Thursday afternoon

John Byrne-8
Yes, it is indeed Thursday 8th. Sorry for any confusion.  I now have two
volunteers off this list - thanks very much! - leaving one space still.
Please email me if you are interested.

John