Wikinews: IOTM Jan 2006 - Danny O'Brien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation

Wikinews: IOTM Jan 2006 - Danny O'Brien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation

Amgine
Hi!

Wikinews will be hosting a second Interview of the Month
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Interview_of_the_month),  2000
UTC on 23 January 2006, Danny O'Brien
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_O%27Brien) of the Electronic
Frontier Foundation
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Frontier_Foundation) will be
interviewed live in IRC (irc://irc.freenode.net/wikinews), and you are
invited to attend and be a part of the action.

Danny O'Brien is the "Coordinator of Activism" at the EFF, which he came
to from a technology journalism career. He helped found the Open Rights
Group, amongst other digital and online rights activisms.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is a U.S. ngo, with staff  also in
Canada and the United Kingdom, focused on free speech rights in a
digital world. Focused on defending those rights as they are related to
technology, and educating the press, public, and policymakers about the
issues, EFF has taken a number of actions which put the spotlight on the
project recently: Sony BMG's CD protection issue, cracking the US
government's programme to have laser printers put tracking information
on every document they print, and publishing the Legal Guide for
Bloggers. They're also in the advocacy and lobby industry, and are
closely watching Broadcast Flag legislation in the US capitol which is
scheduled for debate on 24 January.

The Wikinews Interview of the Month is a program to give citizen
journalists the opportunity to be involved in interviews with news
makers. Research and questions are developed by everyone who wishes to
take part both before the interview (for this interview, you can get
involved at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Interview_of_the_month/January_2006_EFF)
and during the interview. As the interview progresses, questions may be
passed to the moderators who will try to squeeze in as many questions as
possible.

Wikinews is a project of the Wikimedia Foundation, and is produced in 19
languages.

Amgine

Re: Wikinews: IOTM Jan 2006 - Danny O'Brien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation

Brian-56
I think a good idea for easily getting good questions (since the current
questions are pretty generic), as well as increasing the positive
interest in Wikinews (since people like the EFF) is to make a post on
Slashdot in the style of "ask your questions on Slashdot, and a
selection of the highest moderated quesitons will be picked to
specifically ask Danny O'Brien". Then you can pick out some good
questions, ask him, and make another Slashdot post once the entire
interview has been written up.

I'm going to try to get a story on Slashdot. I would suggest that
someone protect
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Interview_of_the_month/January_2006_EFF
(although I won't link to it). As for the IRC interview, I hope it is
being set up so that the interviewee can be separated from the rest of
the people. He should probably be in his own channel, which has
restricted access.

brian0918