Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

divol
Wikinews as Wikimedia (and all others projects) press room is an idea  
i shared with one member of the wikimédia french chapter in december.

He seemed interressed so i am asking to you if it's something to  
think about or no ?

any comment about that ?


jacques divol
finaly admin on the french wikinews !

_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

Dariusz Siedlecki
On 1/18/06, jacques.divol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wikinews as Wikimedia (and all others projects) press room is an idea
> i shared with one member of the wikimédia french chapter in december.
>
> He seemed interressed so i am asking to you if it's something to
> think about or no ?
>
> any comment about that ?

Well... To make it short, no. Just no, this is a pretty stupid idea,
which would break NPOV. We're already putting a template where there's
a report on one of the Wikimedia projects, and press releases on
Wikinews aren't acceptable.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Dariusz "Datrio" Siedlecki
_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

Clare-Marie White
Hang on, they could be acceptable somewhere else in the domain though
couldn't they, with a link/promotion with Wikinews?

I think that a lot of people looking to WN for news writing experience might
also appreciate PR experience and there are probably also people happy to be
involved in promoting Wikimedia as a contribution to the project?

I don't see at all why it shouldn't be a linked project to Wikinews, as long
as it is clearly shown as a press room rather than part of the news output.
Particularly when it comes to, say, translating press releases I think it
could be a good cross-Wikinews project?

ClareWhite

 


on 18/1/06 3:12 pm, Dariusz Siedlecki at [hidden email] wrote:

> On 1/18/06, jacques.divol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wikinews as Wikimedia (and all others projects) press room is an idea
>> i shared with one member of the wikimédia french chapter in december.
>>
>> He seemed interressed so i am asking to you if it's something to
>> think about or no ?
>>
>> any comment about that ?
>
> Well... To make it short, no. Just no, this is a pretty stupid idea,
> which would break NPOV. We're already putting a template where there's
> a report on one of the Wikimedia projects, and press releases on
> Wikinews aren't acceptable.
>
> --
> Pozdrawiam,
> Dariusz "Datrio" Siedlecki
> _______________________________________________
> Wikinews-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l

--
Clare-Marie White
production manager
The Friend
173 Euston Road
London
NW1 2BJ
Tel. 020 7663 1010

[hidden email]

===
Check out the new Friend website!
Your Friend: http://www.thefriend.org



_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

divol
In reply to this post by Dariusz Siedlecki
ok ....
but ...

there's a press room on meta (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ 
Wikimedia_press_release)
there's a press room on wikimedia (http://wikimediafoundation.org/ 
wiki/Press_room)
there's a press room on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ 
Wikipedia:Press_releases)

What's the relation with the NPOV ?

sorry but wikinews IS a wikimedia project
it's may be un-neutral but it's the naked truth

NPOV is not a dogmatic feature used to hide reality

For example, [[en:Main_Page is not neutral at all.

All articles  are not at the same level of readability, some are just  
a title, others are stated "featured story", so on ....


jacques divol










Le 18 janv. 06 à 16:12, Dariusz Siedlecki a écrit :

> On 1/18/06, jacques.divol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wikinews as Wikimedia (and all others projects) press room is an idea
>> i shared with one member of the wikimédia french chapter in december.
>>
>> He seemed interressed so i am asking to you if it's something to
>> think about or no ?
>>
>> any comment about that ?
>
> Well... To make it short, no. Just no, this is a pretty stupid idea,
> which would break NPOV. We're already putting a template where there's
> a report on one of the Wikimedia projects, and press releases on
> Wikinews aren't acceptable.
>
> --
> Pozdrawiam,
> Dariusz "Datrio" Siedlecki
> _______________________________________________
> Wikinews-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l

_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

Dariusz Siedlecki
Okay, wait, maybe I misunderstood you.

Do you want to put all Wikimedia press releases on Wikinews, instead
of putting them in the so called "press rooms"?

--
Regards,
Datrio
_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

Amgine
This is how I understood the proposal.

On en.Wikinews we are using Portal: namespace to create areas of news
concentrated on a specific topic. It would be easy enough to create a
Portal:Wikimedia for press releases about Wikimedia, with new press
releases created as Portal:Wikimedia/Press release date/Title or similar
naming convention, to keep them out of the main namespace.

Another option for en.Wikinews would be to create a portal-like page
under the Wikinews: namespace, perhaps Wikinews:Wikimedia Foundation
press releases. Similar idea for naming the press releases.

We could not run them as articles, but I believe we can host WMF press
releases so long as they are not in the main namespace.

Amgine



Dariusz Siedlecki wrote:
> Okay, wait, maybe I misunderstood you.
>
> Do you want to put all Wikimedia press releases on Wikinews, instead
> of putting them in the so called "press rooms"?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Datrio

_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

Florence Devouard-3

I am confused.

*Why* would the Foundation press release not be hosted
on the Foundation website exactly ?

And, what would be the benefit to put a press release
in a place where anyone can modify it after it is send
to press ?


Ant
 
--- Amgine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is how I understood the proposal.
>
> On en.Wikinews we are using Portal: namespace to
> create areas of news
> concentrated on a specific topic. It would be easy
> enough to create a
> Portal:Wikimedia for press releases about Wikimedia,
> with new press
> releases created as Portal:Wikimedia/Press release
> date/Title or similar
> naming convention, to keep them out of the main
> namespace.
>
> Another option for en.Wikinews would be to create a
> portal-like page
> under the Wikinews: namespace, perhaps
> Wikinews:Wikimedia Foundation
> press releases. Similar idea for naming the press
> releases.
>
> We could not run them as articles, but I believe we
> can host WMF press
> releases so long as they are not in the main
> namespace.
>
> Amgine
>
>
>
> Dariusz Siedlecki wrote:
> > Okay, wait, maybe I misunderstood you.
> >
> > Do you want to put all Wikimedia press releases on
> Wikinews, instead
> > of putting them in the so called "press rooms"?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Datrio
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikinews-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
>
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
>


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 
_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

Amgine
Anthere wrote:

> I am confused.
>
> *Why* would the Foundation press release not be hosted
> on the Foundation website exactly ?
>
> And, what would be the benefit to put a press release
> in a place where anyone can modify it after it is send
> to press ?
>
>
> Ant

I would expect they would be hosted on the Foundation website. However,
I for one am not able to get updates of the Foundation website, via a
watchlist RSS or any other form of automated press release notification,
but I can do this on Wikinews. In other words, I don't know when there
are new press releases.

There is no reason WMF press releases could not be be protected as
original source documents on en.Wikinews, as a part of the archive
policy on that edition.

Amgine
_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

Erik Moeller-2
Amgine:
> There is no reason WMF press releases could not be be protected as
> original source documents on en.Wikinews, as a part of the archive
> policy on that edition.

I would prefer not to do this. We frequently do report about Wikimedia
projects; if we additionally host press release, this will cast a shadow
of doubt on the neutrality of our other articles.

We've had stories like:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_and_Answers.com_announce_partnership

This was short and shallow, but it still linked to an ongoing community
discussion, which a press release almost certainly would not. Even in
Wikimedia controversies, Wikinews has a responsibility to report the
facts fairly and neutrally. Press releases would affect the perception,
if not the goal.

Erik
_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

Delphine Ménard
On 1/18/06, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This was short and shallow, but it still linked to an ongoing community
> discussion, which a press release almost certainly would not. Even in
> Wikimedia controversies, Wikinews has a responsibility to report the
> facts fairly and neutrally. Press releases would affect the perception,
> if not the goal.

Agreed. A good press release, IMHO, is  entirely POV ;-). Let Wikinews
originate its own press releases if the need arises (ie. about
Wikinews), let the other "porjects" and "bodies" of the Wikimedia
world originate theirs.


Cheers,

Delphine

--
~notafish
_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

David Speakman
In reply to this post by divol
Bad idea.

Of all the wikimedians in our projects, wikijournalists need to be the most
NPOV. Or, have the reputation of being the most unbiased - including
unbiased toward Wikimedia and its progeny.

Once a news organization or journalist loses credibility in the public eye,
it almost never returns.

We really need a "Chinese wall" ethic separating our wikijournalist
expectations and our need for free publicity among our various projects.



--
David Speakman
http://www.DavidSpeakman.com
501 Moorpark Way #83
Mountain View CA 94041


>-----Original Message-----
>From: [hidden email]
>[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of jacques.divol
>Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:59 AM
>To: Wikinews mailing list
>Subject: [Wikinews-l] Wikinews as Wikimedia press room
>
>
>Wikinews as Wikimedia (and all others projects) press room is an idea  
>i shared with one member of the wikimédia french chapter in december.
>
>He seemed interressed so i am asking to you if it's something to  
>think about or no ?
>
>any comment about that ?
>
>
>jacques divol
>finaly admin on the french wikinews !
>
>_______________________________________________
>Wikinews-l mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
>

_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

David Speakman
In reply to this post by Amgine
I wholeheartedly disagree with using any wikinews namespace for any form of
advertisement - including internal ads.

Press releases are not news - they are advertising.

A better location would be the wikimedia.org site - a wonderfully already
biased site dedicated to the promotion of all things wiki.

--
David Speakman
http://www.DavidSpeakman.com
501 Moorpark Way #83
Mountain View CA 94041


>-----Original Message-----
>From: [hidden email]
>[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Amgine
>Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:05 AM
>To: Wikinews mailing list
>Subject: Re: [Wikinews-l] Wikinews as Wikimedia press room
>
>
>This is how I understood the proposal.
>
>On en.Wikinews we are using Portal: namespace to create areas of news
>concentrated on a specific topic. It would be easy enough to create a
>Portal:Wikimedia for press releases about Wikimedia, with new press
>releases created as Portal:Wikimedia/Press release date/Title
>or similar
>naming convention, to keep them out of the main namespace.
>
>Another option for en.Wikinews would be to create a portal-like page
>under the Wikinews: namespace, perhaps Wikinews:Wikimedia Foundation
>press releases. Similar idea for naming the press releases.
>
>We could not run them as articles, but I believe we can host WMF press
>releases so long as they are not in the main namespace.
>
>Amgine
>
>
>
>Dariusz Siedlecki wrote:
>> Okay, wait, maybe I misunderstood you.
>>
>> Do you want to put all Wikimedia press releases on Wikinews, instead
>> of putting them in the so called "press rooms"?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Datrio
>
>_______________________________________________
>Wikinews-l mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
>

_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

divol
:)

please, don't trash my skull, it was just a simple idea.


no consensus, ok


But go look at the bottom of the Main Page of the English wikinews,  
very pretty images and links to sister projects.

And if i remember well, some days ago the top of the page was squated  
by a call for money from wikimedia.

no problemo !

jacques divol




_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikinews as Wikimedia press room

list-catcher
In reply to this post by divol
This concept, is frankly, apalling.

Under no circumstances should wikinews become a place for wikimedia to issue
press releases.  

Namespace seperation is a techinical solution.  Read that as many times as it
takes until "technical" is so firmly ingrained in your brains that you realise
what it means.  Technical.  IE. Has nothing to do with politics, or how wikinews
is percieved.  If wikimedia wants wikinews to be no better than a Chinese paper
then fine, go ahead, do that and watch it die.  Simply because press releases are
delegated to another portion of the site does not hide the fact that they will
definately appear to be from wikinews itself and therefore be seen as official
wikinews news.  Blatant POVism.  Blatant.  Corporations have a subpage for press
releases, why isn't that sufficient for wikimedia?  Do you people _really_ think
this is going to help wikimedia popularity?

If you're a big PRC fan then I'll give you another example.  The US's DoD has a
"news service" out now complete with it's own channel.  Not surprisingly, no one,
not even many US soldiers, takes them as a factual news agency.


_______________________________________________
Wikinews-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikinews-l