Wikipedia COO was convicted felon

Rohini Lakshané
Something I stumbled upon

Wikipedia COO was convicted felon: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/13/wikimedia_coo_convicted_felon

Regards,
Rohini

Re: Wikipedia COO was convicted felon

Gautam John
On 25 December 2012 09:17, Rohini Lakshané <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/13/wikimedia_coo_convicted_felon

It's more than a few years old, what?

Re: Wikipedia COO was convicted felon

Rohini Lakshané
I spotted it in conjunction with an article published recently (Wikipedia doesn't need your money - so why does it keep pestering you?) and ended up assuming both belonged to the same time frame.  This one suggests that WMF fundraisers put out incomplete and misleading information. I was just wondering what the community's thoughts about these matters were.

Also, found a recent discussion on the same topic on Quora: Is Wikipedia collecting more money than required? www.quora.com/Wikipedia/Is-Wikipedia-collecting-more-money-than-required

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25 December 2012 09:17, Rohini Lakshané <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/13/wikimedia_coo_convicted_felon

It's more than a few years old, what?

Re: Wikipedia COO was convicted felon

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
It might be old, but thanks for sharing this Rohini!

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25 December 2012 09:17, Rohini Lakshané <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/13/wikimedia_coo_convicted_felon

It's more than a few years old, what?

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Member of the Executive Committee
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Re: Wikipedia COO was convicted felon

Vickram Crishna-2

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 December 2012 09:17, Rohini Lakshané <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/13/wikimedia_coo_convicted_felon
>
> It's more than a few years old, what?

I think it is very important to note the closing words from The Register report: "The original version of this story said that Carolyn Doran's hit and run DUI resulted in a fatality. This was based on two separate sets of computer records - one with the Loudoun County, Virginia Circuit Court and another on the web site of the Virginia Judicial System. But these records are incorrect. Apologies to Carolyn Doran and her family."

It is of particular importance to us here in India, where gradually, following the purported success of e-Bhoomi (the brief report in Wikipedia should speak volumes about how well this project is really doing, but some details might be more welcome to people who want to reference how digitisation proceeds in the real world), there is excitement about increasing digitisation (and more importantly, interlinking) of all kinds of records. In the computer sector, there is a very old expression, 'garbage in, garbage out'.

Wikipedia also looks to digital references for credibility. It ought to be noted that in fact, even government-maintained records are sometimes grievously wrong, not just out-of-date.

imho, the past ten years have demonstrated unequivocally that a community-sourced and maintained virtual encyclopedia is not just capable, but is far superior to a bespoke production of select persons, both in terms of timeliness and accuracy. Undoubtedly, there is still much to do to make it now more meaningful to the world at large, beyond the English-familiar audience.

Perhaps an objective for the future will be adding on-the-ground fact-checking, going beyond digital records that can be (and, given the imperatives of business, will be) perversely altered in the hands of private and other vested interests. At present there is no scope for this kind of value addition, but the need is enormous, and will only grow as Wikipedia's coverage grows beyond the realm of 'credible' digital records. I don't have a roadmap for how this factor will be included, but it is worth planning. Today (as in the perfuffle around Kasab's birthday), we end up firefighting, confusing for information seekers and fodder for a confrontational mainstream media.

Vickram

Re: Wikipedia COO was convicted felon

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
Well said Vickram sir!