Wikipedia Day - Date - new proposal

Michael Bimmler
Hello,
I just remarked, that I am actually not so in favour of the last
saturday of holidays for the following two reasons:
1. People are a) still in holidays b) just coming back c)tired, want
to relax a bit before start etc.
2. A lot of people that we need to get in touch with some weeks before
the events will be on holidays during july/early august. This probably
includes universitiy employees as well as the responsibles for the
places where we want to advertise.
3, During the short Swiss summer, people will spend *a lot* of their
free time (especially Saturdays) in "public swimming baths" (blame leo
for this term), e.g. in the lake. I doubt whether anybody would want
to be on a hot day (last day of holidays or even last summer weekend)
in a room, listening to presentations or working with computers. When
it's hot, people in CH want to be outside, swimming, barbecueing and
so on.
Therefore I "nominate" a date in the second half of september (e.g.
Sat Sept 23), then it won't be so hot and sunny anymore, people won't
be swimming anymore and may rather come during the day (remark, we are
not talking about the evening) that in the middle of the short summer.
So I'm just afraid, that we decide on a day like the Aug 26th and are
then disappointed 'cause the weather guys say that it would be the
last sunny weekend in this year and then nobody comes.
What do you think?
Michael
--
An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Wikipedia Day - Date - new proposal

Robin Schwab-2
Michael Bimmler schrieb:
> Hello,
> I just remarked, that I am actually not so in favour of the last
> saturday of holidays for the following two reasons:
> 1. People are a) still in holidays b) just coming back c)tired, want
> to relax a bit before start etc.

I do not think so. Working people here can take a vacation of about 25
days a year. These vacation concentrate on July and end of december. The
rest is spread quite evenly over the year.

> 2. A lot of people that we need to get in touch with some weeks before
> the events will be on holidays during july/early august. This probably
> includes universitiy employees as well as the responsibles for the
> places where we want to advertise.

For universities the first 3 weeks after the start of summer and winter
terms are critical. This would mean about april and october/november. At
least for ETH its easier to organize something between july and october
when there are no classes.

> 3, During the short Swiss summer, people will spend *a lot* of their
> free time (especially Saturdays) in "public swimming baths" (blame leo
> for this term), e.g. in the lake. I doubt whether anybody would want
> to be on a hot day (last day of holidays or even last summer weekend)
> in a room, listening to presentations or working with computers. When
> it's hot, people in CH want to be outside, swimming, barbecueing and
> so on.

And in fall when sky is grey they stay in bed. Honestly this is no good
argument. In every season there is something people tend to do on
saturdays. In summer a Wikipedia day could be more outside/with open
windows.

> Therefore I "nominate" a date in the second half of september (e.g.
> Sat Sept 23), then it won't be so hot and sunny anymore, people won't

I would find rather strange if we need a set up time of 8 month for an
event like this. Wikipedia is known to be fast, and june would be
realistic for me. Not too much swimming and no skiing either :-)

Yes you'll tell me about the bylaws problem. But I'm shure we can solve
this in one way or another.

sincerly yours

Robin

Re: Wikipedia Day - Date - new proposal

Ilario Valdelli
It seems to be a good decision. In my experience (but I've worked a lot
with Germany and Italy and not with Swiss companies) all I have fixed in
August was after delayed.

In any case IMHO it is important, at moment, to fix only a deadline and
a period, the date can be fixed some months before verifying the
avalaibility of seat, avalaibility of persons and more.

Ilario

2006/1/13, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>:
> It seems to be a good decision. In my experience (but I've worked a lot
> with Germany and Italy and not with Swiss companies) all I have fixed in
> August was after delayed.
>
> In any case IMHO it is important, at moment, to fix only a deadline and
> a period, the date can be fixed some months before verifying the
> avalaibility of seat, avalaibility of persons and more.

This is unfortunately not so, as we would like to be listed in the
ch-open directory, and I think, Manuel said, that he needs to have a
definite date by end of January.
Regards
Michael