Wikipedia Logo - errors

quiddity
*There are at least 2 major character errors in the current Wikipedia
puzzle-globe logo, and other minor problems.
*[[User talk:Ambuj.Saxena/Wikipedia-logo]] is the most centralized
discussion/link compilation that I know of. (There's even a petition
at that link's projectpage)
*Nohat has explained the problems with correcting the errors. But
noone seems to have a solution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ambuj.Saxena/Wikipedia-logo#Changing_this_one_thing_is_not_simple_and_is_not_the_solution
*'''Somebody with patience and brains (there are many
ramifications/implications, from the practical to the legal, to be
considered), and either delegating or computer-graphics skills, needs
to adopt this problem as a personal mission, lest it remain unsolved
for another year'''.

(copied from [[Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)#Wikipedia Logo - errors]].)

It's been mentioned at various VPump pages, relevant userpages, and
metapages, over the past few months, to no avail. I'm not sure
how/where else to get this issue the attention it seems to need (and I
don't have the background to spearhead the effort). Any assistance
would be appreciated.

Quiddity

Wikipedia Logo - errors

quiddity
I posted this to foundation-l and wikipedia-l a week ago, with no
response, so am now reposting to those, plus wikien-l.

*There are at least 2 major character errors in the current Wikipedia
puzzle-globe logo (Devanagari and Japanese), and other minor problems
(antialiasing, misplaced accents, more?).
[...]

would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quiddity

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

RCT-Thrillville
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

M. Williamson
Usually, no response means nobody cares, not "it got lost in the
tubes, please post again until people tell you to stop."

Mark
(who added the subtitle for that very logo in PS for about a gazillion
languages)

On 13/06/07, quiddity <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I posted this to foundation-l and wikipedia-l a week ago, with no
> response, so am now reposting to those, plus wikien-l.
>
> *There are at least 2 major character errors in the current Wikipedia
> puzzle-globe logo (Devanagari and Japanese), and other minor problems
> (antialiasing, misplaced accents, more?).
> *[[User talk:Ambuj.Saxena/Wikipedia-logo]] is the most centralized
> discussion/link compilation that I know of. (There's even a petition
> at that link's projectpage)
> *Nohat has explained the problems with correcting the errors. But
> noone seems to have a solution.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ambuj.Saxena/Wikipedia-logo#Changing_this_one_thing_is_not_simple_and_is_not_the_solution
> *'''Somebody with patience and brains (there are many
> ramifications/implications, from the practical to the legal, to be
> considered), and either delegating or computer-graphics skills, needs
> to adopt this problem as a personal mission, lest it remain unsolved
> for another year'''.
>
> (copied from [[Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)#Wikipedia Logo - errors]].)
>
> It's been mentioned at various VPump pages, relevant userpages, and
> metapages, over the past few months, to no avail. I'm not sure
> how/where else to get this issue the attention it seems to need (and I
> don't have the background to spearhead the effort). Any assistance
> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Quiddity

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

Peter Halasz
> Usually, no response means nobody cares, not "it got lost in the
> tubes, please post again until people tell you to stop."

There's no need to be rude. I appreciate that you don't want to see
your photoshopping work repeated, but if I followed your logic then I
would have expected no response to the Creative Commons 3.0 mention
here (22 replies, though no definitive ruling *cough*). But perhaps
you're correct that English speakers are happy to have poorly formed
Devanagari and a Japanese typo on the logo.

Peter Halasz.

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

KIZU Naoko
Honestly Japanese community doesn't take the strange letter as
Japanese, but "something trying to be similar" and asked at least once
Nohat to change it with the correct genuine one(s) based on consensus
but rejected he had no interest to make a such change by request (he
said he had no enough time to handle it).

It is already a FAQ "what represents the funny character?" on VP and
community consensus is it is not a Japanese letter, but some just
weird figures, there are also some figures which can never be letter
used on this globe, ever. I know Japanese community is not happy with
those two letters, and some takes it a sign WMF has no interest toward
Japanese projects and its culture.

Personal I have no strong opinion on that issue, though I admit it is
hardly to be considered a thoughtful design, rather a typical
misrepresenting other cultures of Westerners (personally I love this
kind, since it makes me  ... smile at least).

Just for your information.

On 6/15/07, Peter Halasz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Usually, no response means nobody cares, not "it got lost in the
> > tubes, please post again until people tell you to stop."
>
> There's no need to be rude. I appreciate that you don't want to see
> your photoshopping work repeated, but if I followed your logic then I
> would have expected no response to the Creative Commons 3.0 mention
> here (22 replies, though no definitive ruling *cough*). But perhaps
> you're correct that English speakers are happy to have poorly formed
> Devanagari and a Japanese typo on the logo.
>
> Peter Halasz.

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

Alison M. Wheeler
On Fri, June 15, 2007 00:03, Peter Halasz wrote:
> But perhaps
> you're correct that English speakers are happy to have poorly formed
> Devanagari and a Japanese typo on the logo.

Not especially 'happy', no, however the existing logo (for all its
possible faults*) is the one which is a registered trademark and the cost
/ time of trying to change that world-wide would probably be excessive
when there are better things (ymmv) to spend the cash on.

Alison Wheeler

* There used to be a saying "It's not a fault, it's a feature" and maybe
that applies in this case too. The glyphs-which-aren't demonstrate that
there is 'design' involved rather than the logo just being a collection of
standard typography. As such one might argue that by having these 'faults'
we are ensuring it is a registrable trademark.

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

M. Williamson
It's not that I don't want to see it repeated.

It's that after getting no response to something he posted to 3
different lists, he decided it would work better if he just posted it
again.

Mark

On 14/06/07, Peter Halasz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Usually, no response means nobody cares, not "it got lost in the
> > tubes, please post again until people tell you to stop."
>
> There's no need to be rude. I appreciate that you don't want to see
> your photoshopping work repeated, but if I followed your logic then I
> would have expected no response to the Creative Commons 3.0 mention
> here (22 replies, though no definitive ruling *cough*). But perhaps
> you're correct that English speakers are happy to have poorly formed
> Devanagari and a Japanese typo on the logo.
>
> Peter Halasz.

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

M. Williamson
It is actually Japanese, it is "kwi".

Although not used in any actual words, the fact that it is genuine
letters is not possible to negate.

In fact, it is used in Okinawan dialect/language with some frequency.

Mark

On 6/15/07, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's not that I don't want to see it repeated.
>
> It's that after getting no response to something he posted to 3
> different lists, he decided it would work better if he just posted it
> again.
>
> Mark

I initially posted it to the 2 low volume lists (as suggested to me at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28technical%29#Wikipedia_Logo_-_errors)
and when noone replied, I tried again but included the high volume
wikien-l.

I'm trying to be polite, concise, and neutral, and not clutter the
"request for help" with details. I'm only aware of the problems
because people kept asking if they were going to be fixed as part of
the Sidebar redesign
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Village_pump_%28proposals%29/Sidebar_redesign#Logo_changes).

If you believe that the effort of fixing our single most prominent
international symbol is more troublesome than the ill-regard the
mistakes engender, then I will cease trying to be helpful in this
matter.

Quiddity

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

KIZU Naoko
On 6/15/07, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is actually Japanese, it is "kwi".

Honestly now you prove you are not of literacy in Japanese ... (not a
criticism, but a fact) .  It is "Wa" + (little) "i" in fact and this
combination has never happened in the Japanese orthography, at least
since the invention of kata-kana in the early Heian era (9th C).

> Although not used in any actual words, the fact that it is genuine
> letters is not possible to negate.
>
> In fact, it is used in Okinawan dialect/language with some frequency.
>
> Mark
>
> On 14/06/07, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Honestly Japanese community doesn't take the strange letter as
> > Japanese, but "something trying to be similar" and asked at least once
> > Nohat to change it with the correct genuine one(s) based on consensus
> > but rejected he had no interest to make a such change by request (he
> > said he had no enough time to handle it).
> >
> > It is already a FAQ "what represents the funny character?" on VP and
> > community consensus is it is not a Japanese letter, but some just
> > weird figures, there are also some figures which can never be letter
> > used on this globe, ever. I know Japanese community is not happy with
> > those two letters, and some takes it a sign WMF has no interest toward
> > Japanese projects and its culture.
> >
> > Personal I have no strong opinion on that issue, though I admit it is
> > hardly to be considered a thoughtful design, rather a typical
> > misrepresenting other cultures of Westerners (personally I love this
> > kind, since it makes me  ... smile at least).
> >
> > Just for your information.

> > > There's no need to be rude. I appreciate that you don't want to see
> > > your photoshopping work repeated, but if I followed your logic then I
> > > would have expected no response to the Creative Commons 3.0 mention
> > > here (22 replies, though no definitive ruling *cough*). But perhaps
> > > you're correct that English speakers are happy to have poorly formed
> > > Devanagari and a Japanese typo on the logo.
> > >
> > > Peter Halasz.

> > KIZU Naoko
> >   Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
> >   * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

> Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

M. Williamson
That's most definitely "ku". If it is wa, that is a very strangely written wa.

On 15/06/07, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/15/07, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It is actually Japanese, it is "kwi".
>
> Honestly now you prove you are not of literacy in Japanese ... (not a
> criticism, but a fact) .  It is "Wa" + (little) "i" in fact and this
> combination has never happened in the Japanese orthography, at least
> since the invention of kata-kana in the early Heian era (9th C).
>

> > Although not used in any actual words, the fact that it is genuine
> > letters is not possible to negate.
> >
> > In fact, it is used in Okinawan dialect/language with some frequency.
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > On 14/06/07, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Honestly Japanese community doesn't take the strange letter as
> > > Japanese, but "something trying to be similar" and asked at least once
> > > Nohat to change it with the correct genuine one(s) based on consensus
> > > but rejected he had no interest to make a such change by request (he
> > > said he had no enough time to handle it).
> > >
> > > It is already a FAQ "what represents the funny character?" on VP and
> > > community consensus is it is not a Japanese letter, but some just
> > > weird figures, there are also some figures which can never be letter
> > > used on this globe, ever. I know Japanese community is not happy with
> > > those two letters, and some takes it a sign WMF has no interest toward
> > > Japanese projects and its culture.
> > >
> > > Personal I have no strong opinion on that issue, though I admit it is
> > > hardly to be considered a thoughtful design, rather a typical
> > > misrepresenting other cultures of Westerners (personally I love this
> > > kind, since it makes me  ... smile at least).
> > >
> > > Just for your information.

> > > --
> > > KIZU Naoko
> > >   Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
> > >   * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

> > Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.

> KIZU Naoko
>   Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
>   * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

Jerome Banal-2
Come on Mark, do you really want to teach Japanese people how they should
read their syllabary? :-)

You are ja-3 and I am ja-1, so I don't think I have anything to teach you;
probably you disregarded a few facts. The top left strike of this sign
starts right at the horizontal strike level and is straight. If it's
supposed to be a "ku", I have never seen such a poor font as it makes it
completely indistinguishable from a classical wa in italic type.

To be a "ku", it should have the top left strike curved and start above the
corner of the horizontal one. Each font decides its balance between those:
in general, the higher it starts, the less curved it is. Some very thick
fonts make it start at the horizontal line level, but they make it very
curved. Without this, it would be too difficult to distinguish a ku from a
wa...
See reference 3 (sorry, it's the first website using lots of different fonts
and styles that has popped into my mind :-) )  for some examples using
italics or not, bold or not, or play with notepad and some unicode fonts.

If I am wrong, I would gladly welcome any serious example (ie. not
handwritten or made as a play on word) that breaks this rule to improve my
personal knowledge of the Japanese language.

Actually, I am pretty sure the author wanted to put a 'u', so as to make
"Wi"(kipedia, like we have 'W' in latin script). And "u" is just a strike
added on top of "wa". Actually, I only had a quick look to the logo in the
past and did not notice the typo; I had, it seems, automatically corrected
it and have always thought about it as "wi".

Anyway, being a bad ku or an italic wa with a normal small i, it is just
crap.
But no matter the respect I have for Japanese people, I have to agree with
Alison that it might be a little expensive to correct a typo if we consider
the fact that the Foundation try to not protect every name of Wikipedia
everywhere because of cost... Personally, I don't pay much attention to this
logo so maybe I don't realize really well if it is worth it for Japanese or
not. I don't know the real cost either.

Dewa mata ne,
Jerome (Eden2004)

2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana#Table_of_katakana
3: http://jump.shueisha.co.jp/home.html (11th box in the center left stack:
wan piisu in italic type; under the main banner: PWJ topikkusu written in
italic bold type; same place, more on the right: chekku written in italic
type)

2007/6/15, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]>:

> That's most definitely "ku". If it is wa, that is a very strangely written
> wa.
>
> On 15/06/07, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 6/15/07, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > It is actually Japanese, it is "kwi".
> >
> > Honestly now you prove you are not of literacy in Japanese ... (not a
> > criticism, but a fact) .  It is "Wa" + (little) "i" in fact and this
> > combination has never happened in the Japanese orthography, at least
> > since the invention of kata-kana in the early Heian era (9th C).
> >

> > > Although not used in any actual words, the fact that it is genuine
> > > letters is not possible to negate.
> > >
> > > In fact, it is used in Okinawan dialect/language with some frequency.
> > >
> > > Mark

> once
> consensus

> with
> toward

> is

> see
> then I
> perhaps
> formed

> > > --
> > > Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.

> > KIZU Naoko
> >   Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
> >   * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

> Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

quiddity
Additional detail:
Most languages use the original image as a base, with the obvious
accent errors. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Nohat-Wiki-logo-2.png
however a handful of languages use the newer image, which has the
accent errors removed.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikipedia-logo.png
See the list at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

So we're inconsistent too.

Quiddity

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

quiddity
Article in the NYTimes today, covering some of the logo problems.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/25/technology/25wikipedia.html?ex=1340424000&en=e8b22ebc57cf3f1e&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

That's all, just a followup.

Quiddity

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

Erik Moeller-4
Sandy (our Comm. Manager) is in touch with David to see which changes
can be made to the glyphs.

Not that the whole hubbub isn't a bit silly; the logo is meant to
represent multilingualism as a concept, not any particular language.

On 6/25/07, quiddity <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Article in the NYTimes today, covering some of the logo problems.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/25/technology/25wikipedia.html?ex=1340424000&en=e8b22ebc57cf3f1e&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss
>
> That's all, just a followup.
>
> Quiddity

Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

quiddity
> Not that the whole hubbub isn't a bit silly; the logo is meant to
> represent multilingualism as a concept, not any particular language.

I'm conflicted. I feel guilty [always] for re-raising the issue and
distracting anyone from encyclopedic endeavours. However...

Aphaia's June 14 comments,
>> "I know Japanese community is not happy with those two letters, and
some takes it a sign WMF has no interest toward Japanese projects and
its culture"
and
>> "...though I admit it is hardly to be considered a thoughtful
design, rather a typical misrepresenting other cultures of Westerners"
seem like a polite understatement. I think that it's Anglo/Eurocentric
to think otherwise.
(Although, the misplaced accents over the Ω and и (omega and cyrillic
I) perhaps lend credence to the "by having these 'faults' we are
ensuring it is a registrable trademark" theory.)

Again, sorry for distracting. I was just trying to be helpful.
Quiddity

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

Dominic-21
quiddity wrote:

> On 6/25/07, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Not that the whole hubbub isn't a bit silly; the logo is meant to
>> represent multilingualism as a concept, not any particular language.
>>

> I'm conflicted. I feel guilty [always] for re-raising the issue and
> distracting anyone from encyclopedic endeavours. However...
Well, is *anyone* happy about the Klingon letter at the top of the
Wikipedia logo? We don't (thankfully) even have a project in that
language anymore, and I think it falls short of the mark of
multilingualism.

Dominic

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

The Cunctator
On 6/25/07, Dmcdevit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> quiddity wrote:
> > On 6/25/07, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Not that the whole hubbub isn't a bit silly; the logo is meant to
> >> represent multilingualism as a concept, not any particular language.
> >>

> > I'm conflicted. I feel guilty [always] for re-raising the issue and
> > distracting anyone from encyclopedic endeavours. However...
> Well, is *anyone* happy about the Klingon letter at the top of the
> Wikipedia logo? We don't (thankfully) even have a project in that
> language anymore, and I think it falls short of the mark of
> multilingualism.

I am. I think it's entertaining. I'm glad Wikipedia has a sense of humor
about its imperfection. I think institutions of our civilization would
benefit from more self-deprecation.

Re: Wikipedia Logo - errors

Ray Saintonge
The Cunctator wrote:

>On 6/25/07, Dmcdevit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>quiddity wrote:

>>>I'm conflicted. I feel guilty [always] for re-raising the issue and
>>>distracting anyone from encyclopedic endeavours. However...
>>>

>>Well, is *anyone* happy about the Klingon letter at the top of the
>>Wikipedia logo? We don't (thankfully) even have a project in that
>>language anymore, and I think it falls short of the mark of
>>multilingualism.
>>

>I am. I think it's entertaining. I'm glad Wikipedia has a sense of humor
>about its imperfection. I think institutions of our civilization would
>benefit from more self-deprecation.

And since we have also been addressing the notability of what more
out-of-universe evidence can there be than the inclusion of Klingon?

Ec