Wikipedia ORES Research Study Looking for Participants

Wikipedia ORES Research Study Looking for Participants

Ethan Ye
Dear Wikipedia Developers & Researchers,

My name is Ethan, and I am a researcher working under the supervision
of Prof.Haiyi
Zhu <https://haiyizhu.com/> in the HCI Department at Carnegie Mellon
University. We are looking for participants to test our visualization
system of ORES <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ORES>.

About our research

We are currently conducting a research study on Wikipedia's ORES system.
Our research focuses on building visualizations that help people
effectively understand ORES and build ORES-based applications.

About our study

If you have developed or used any ORES-based application, we would love to
invite you to participate in this research. The research will be a
think-aloud interview that takes approximately *45 minutes*. During the
research, we will ask you to interact with a visualization system we
developed for explaining aspects of the ORES models. We will also ask you
follow-up questions around your understanding of the visualization as well
as your thoughts on the AI models.

Compensation

All participants will be offered* $20 amazon gift cards*. If you are
interested in taking part in this research or would like more information,
please reply to this email.

I am looking forward to your response!

Best,

Ethan Ye

--
Zining(Ethan) Ye

Carnegie Mellon University, School of Design
[hidden email] | 412-266-2205

Re: Wikipedia ORES Research Study Looking for Participants

Stella Yu
Hi Ethan,

Curious about the user research study you and your team are doing. What are
my next steps to participate?

Warmly,

Stella

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:27 AM Ethan Ye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikipedia Developers & Researchers,
>
> My name is Ethan, and I am a researcher working under the supervision
> of Prof.Haiyi
> Zhu <https://haiyizhu.com/> in the HCI Department at Carnegie Mellon
> University. We are looking for participants to test our visualization
> system of ORES <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ORES>.
>
> About our research
>
> We are currently conducting a research study on Wikipedia's ORES system.
> Our research focuses on building visualizations that help people
> effectively understand ORES and build ORES-based applications.
>
> About our study
>
> If you have developed or used any ORES-based application, we would love to
> invite you to participate in this research. The research will be a
> think-aloud interview that takes approximately *45 minutes*. During the
> research, we will ask you to interact with a visualization system we
> developed for explaining aspects of the ORES models. We will also ask you
> follow-up questions around your understanding of the visualization as well
> as your thoughts on the AI models.
>
> Compensation
>
> All participants will be offered* $20 amazon gift cards*. If you are
> interested in taking part in this research or would like more information,
> please reply to this email.
>
> I am looking forward to your response!
>

> Best,
>
> Ethan Ye
>
> --
> Zining(Ethan) Ye
>
> Carnegie Mellon University, School of Design
> [hidden email] | 412-266-2205

Re: Wikipedia ORES Research Study Looking for Participants

Netha Hussain
Hi Ethan,

I am User: Netha Hussain, a researcher and Wikimedian for 10 years. The
only ORES based application I am using is probably Recent Changes, but I
will be happy to participate in the interview if you think that I can help.
I did not hear of the term ORES before I read your mail, so I think it is a
good idea to give a link that lists some of  the ORES based applications on
Mediawiki, so that people can find out that the tools they are using are
ORES-based.

Thanks and regards
Netha

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 20:27, Ethan Ye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikipedia Developers & Researchers,
>
> My name is Ethan, and I am a researcher working under the supervision
> of Prof.Haiyi
> Zhu <https://haiyizhu.com/> in the HCI Department at Carnegie Mellon
> University. We are looking for participants to test our visualization
> system of ORES <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ORES>.
>
> About our research
>
> We are currently conducting a research study on Wikipedia's ORES system.
> Our research focuses on building visualizations that help people
> effectively understand ORES and build ORES-based applications.
>
> About our study
>
> If you have developed or used any ORES-based application, we would love to
> invite you to participate in this research. The research will be a
> think-aloud interview that takes approximately *45 minutes*. During the
> research, we will ask you to interact with a visualization system we
> developed for explaining aspects of the ORES models. We will also ask you
> follow-up questions around your understanding of the visualization as well
> as your thoughts on the AI models.
>
> Compensation
>
> All participants will be offered* $20 amazon gift cards*. If you are
> interested in taking part in this research or would like more information,
> please reply to this email.
>
> I am looking forward to your response!
>

> Best,
>
> Ethan Ye
>
> --
> Zining(Ethan) Ye
>
> Carnegie Mellon University, School of Design
> [hidden email] | 412-266-2205

Netha Hussain
(she/her)
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology
University of Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Wikipedia ORES Research Study Looking for Participants

Ethan Ye
Hi Stella,

Thanks for your interest! Before we start scheduling, we would like to know
a bit more about you.
Are you a researcher/developer in Wikipedia or if you have any experience
working with ORES?

Thanks,
Ethan

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:44 PM Stella Yu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ethan,
>
> Curious about the user research study you and your team are doing. What are
> my next steps to participate?
>
> Warmly,
>
> Stella
>

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:27 AM Ethan Ye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear Wikipedia Developers & Researchers,
> >
> > My name is Ethan, and I am a researcher working under the supervision
> > of Prof.Haiyi
> > Zhu <https://haiyizhu.com/> in the HCI Department at Carnegie Mellon
> > University. We are looking for participants to test our visualization
> > system of ORES <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ORES>.
> >
> > About our research
> >
> > We are currently conducting a research study on Wikipedia's ORES system.
> > Our research focuses on building visualizations that help people
> > effectively understand ORES and build ORES-based applications.
> >
> > About our study
> >
> > If you have developed or used any ORES-based application, we would love
> > invite you to participate in this research. The research will be a
> > think-aloud interview that takes approximately *45 minutes*. During the
> > research, we will ask you to interact with a visualization system we
> > developed for explaining aspects of the ORES models. We will also ask you
> > follow-up questions around your understanding of the visualization as
> well
> > as your thoughts on the AI models.
> >
> > Compensation
> >
> > All participants will be offered* $20 amazon gift cards*. If you are
> > interested in taking part in this research or would like more
> information,
> > please reply to this email.
> >
> > I am looking forward to your response!
> >

> > Best,
> >
> > Ethan Ye
> >
> > --
> > Zining(Ethan) Ye
> >
> > Carnegie Mellon University, School of Design
> > [hidden email] | 412-266-2205

Zining(Ethan) Ye

Carnegie Mellon University, School of Design
[hidden email] | 412-266-2205

Re: Wikipedia ORES Research Study Looking for Participants

Stella Yu
Hi Ethan,

Thank you for your reply. I do not have any familiarity with ORES. In terms
of Wikipedia, I am a Wikipedia user. More specifically, I am paid
contributor to Wikipedia. This means I am a Conflict of Interest (COI)
editor. Is this helpful?

Warmly,

Stella

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:03 PM Ethan Ye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stella,
>
> Thanks for your interest! Before we start scheduling, we would like to know
> a bit more about you.
> Are you a researcher/developer in Wikipedia or if you have any experience
> working with ORES?
>
> Thanks,
> Ethan
>

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:44 PM Stella Yu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ethan,
> >
> > Curious about the user research study you and your team are doing. What
> are
> > my next steps to participate?
> >
> > Warmly,
> >
> > Stella
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:27 AM Ethan Ye <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Wikipedia Developers & Researchers,
> > >
> > > My name is Ethan, and I am a researcher working under the supervision
> > > of Prof.Haiyi
> > > Zhu <https://haiyizhu.com/> in the HCI Department at Carnegie Mellon
> > > University. We are looking for participants to test our visualization
> > > system of ORES <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ORES>.
> > >
> > > About our research
> > >
> > > We are currently conducting a research study on Wikipedia's ORES
> system.
> > > Our research focuses on building visualizations that help people
> > > effectively understand ORES and build ORES-based applications.
> > >
> > > About our study
> > >
> > > If you have developed or used any ORES-based application, we would love
> > > invite you to participate in this research. The research will be a
> > > think-aloud interview that takes approximately *45 minutes*. During the
> > > research, we will ask you to interact with a visualization system we
> > > developed for explaining aspects of the ORES models. We will also ask
> you
> > > follow-up questions around your understanding of the visualization as
> > well
> > > as your thoughts on the AI models.
> > >
> > > Compensation
> > >
> > > All participants will be offered* $20 amazon gift cards*. If you are
> > > interested in taking part in this research or would like more
> > information,
> > > please reply to this email.
> > >
> > > I am looking forward to your response!
> > >

> > > Best,
> > >
> > > Ethan Ye
> > >
> > > --
> > > Zining(Ethan) Ye
> > >
> > > Carnegie Mellon University, School of Design
> > > [hidden email] | 412-266-2205

> Zining(Ethan) Ye
>
> Carnegie Mellon University, School of Design
> [hidden email] | 412-266-2205

Re: Wikipedia ORES Research Study Looking for Participants

Ethan Ye
Hi Netha,

Thanks for your reply! It's a great suggestion to include a list of ORES
based tools for people who are not familiar with ORES itself.
For our research, we would love to interview you and test our
visualizations. Please let me know what times will work best for you so we
can schedule a meeting.

Thanks,
Ethan

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM Netha Hussain <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Ethan,
>
> I am User: Netha Hussain, a researcher and Wikimedian for 10 years. The
> only ORES based application I am using is probably Recent Changes, but I
> will be happy to participate in the interview if you think that I can help.
> I did not hear of the term ORES before I read your mail, so I think it is a
> good idea to give a link that lists some of  the ORES based applications on
> Mediawiki, so that people can find out that the tools they are using are
> ORES-based.
>
> Thanks and regards
> Netha
>
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 20:27, Ethan Ye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear Wikipedia Developers & Researchers,
> >
> > My name is Ethan, and I am a researcher working under the supervision
> > of Prof.Haiyi
> > Zhu <https://haiyizhu.com/> in the HCI Department at Carnegie Mellon
> > University. We are looking for participants to test our visualization
> > system of ORES <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ORES>.
> >
> > About our research
> >
> > We are currently conducting a research study on Wikipedia's ORES system.
> > Our research focuses on building visualizations that help people
> > effectively understand ORES and build ORES-based applications.
> >
> > About our study
> >
> > If you have developed or used any ORES-based application, we would love
> > invite you to participate in this research. The research will be a
> > think-aloud interview that takes approximately *45 minutes*. During the
> > research, we will ask you to interact with a visualization system we
> > developed for explaining aspects of the ORES models. We will also ask you
> > follow-up questions around your understanding of the visualization as
> well
> > as your thoughts on the AI models.
> >
> > Compensation
> >
> > All participants will be offered* $20 amazon gift cards*. If you are
> > interested in taking part in this research or would like more
> information,
> > please reply to this email.
> >
> > I am looking forward to your response!
> >

> > Best,
> >
> > Ethan Ye
> >
> > --
> > Zining(Ethan) Ye
> >
> > Carnegie Mellon University, School of Design
> > [hidden email] | 412-266-2205

> Netha Hussain
> (she/her)
> Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology
> University of Gothenburg, Sweden

Zining(Ethan) Ye

Carnegie Mellon University, School of Design
[hidden email] | 412-266-2205

Re: Wikipedia ORES Research Study Looking for Participants

Ethan Ye
Hi Stella,

Thanks for clarifying. So unfortunately in this research, we are only
looking for researchers and developers who are familiar with ORES.

Best,
Ethan