Wikipedia Trademark

Thomas Stieve
Hello all,

I am writing an academic article. For this research, I am creating an
index, which I would like to call the "Wikipedia Global Consciousness
Index." Do I have to worry about the trademark?

Tom

--
Thomas Stieve
Ph.D. Candidate

Re: Wikipedia Trademark

Johan Jönsson
Hi Tom,

I've forwarded your question to the Wikimedia Foundation legal team (can't
remember if anyone from Legal is on this list), who should be able to
advise on how to proceed.

//Johan Jönsson
--

Den mån 13 apr. 2020 kl 18:11 skrev Thomas Stieve <
[hidden email]>:

> Hello all,
>
> I am writing an academic article. For this research, I am creating an
> index, which I would like to call the "Wikipedia Global Consciousness
> Index." Do I have to worry about the trademark?
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Thomas Stieve
> Ph.D. Candidate
> School of Geography and Development
> University of Arizona

Re: [EXT]Re: Wikipedia Trademark

Thomas Stieve
Thank you, Johan.

Tom

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 9:43 AM Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> External Email
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> I've forwarded your question to the Wikimedia Foundation legal team (can't
> remember if anyone from Legal is on this list), who should be able to
> advise on how to proceed.
>
> //Johan Jönsson
> --
>
> Den mån 13 apr. 2020 kl 18:11 skrev Thomas Stieve <
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am writing an academic article. For this research, I am creating an
> > index, which I would like to call the "Wikipedia Global Consciousness
> > Index." Do I have to worry about the trademark?
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > --
> > Thomas Stieve
> > Ph.D. Candidate
> > School of Geography and Development
> > University of Arizona

Thomas Stieve
Ph.D. Candidate
School of Geography and Development
University of Arizona

Re: Wikipedia Trademark

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Thomas Stieve, 13/04/20 19:11:
> I am writing an academic article. For this research, I am creating an
> index, which I would like to call the "Wikipedia Global Consciousness

The relevant section is "nominative use".
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Trademark_policy#policy-nominativeuse>

My personal impression is that your proposed name is potentially
misleading, while it would be merely descriptive to call it "Global
Consciousness Index for Wikipedia" or something like that. A separate
matter would be the usage of the trademark beyond the name, e.g. on the
frontpage of the website or cover of a document.

Federico

Re: [EXT]Re: Wikipedia Trademark

Thomas Stieve
Thank you, Federico. I understand. I emailed the trademark division at
Wikipedia for advice.

Tom