Wikipedia, Twitch, sexism, and algorithms

Wikipedia, Twitch, sexism, and algorithms

Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia-4
Hello list!

I have written a short piece on how online communities are using
algorithmic tools to address issues of gender inequality, harassment, and
more in general how to create more inclusive environments online. And since
I know this is a topic has been discussed before here, I thought some of
you may be interested in reading it:

https://theconversation.com/can-online-gaming-ditch-its-sexist-ways-74493

The main topic is the online gaming platform Twitch, which is sadly in the
news for yet another episode of harassment, but I mention Wikipedia and
some of the initiatives to create more inclusive spaces (e.g. Teahouse).

Any feedback is really appreciated. Cheers!

Giovanni
--
Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia <[hidden email]> ∙ Assistant Research
Scientist

Re: Wikipedia, Twitch, sexism, and algorithms

Toby Negrin
Hi Giovanni,

Thanks for sharing. In the article, you mention the WMF's work with Detox
-- we have a related program that you might also find interesting.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_health_initiative

Best,

-Toby

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 4:06 AM, Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello list!
>
> I have written a short piece on how online communities are using
> algorithmic tools to address issues of gender inequality, harassment, and
> more in general how to create more inclusive environments online. And since
> I know this is a topic has been discussed before here, I thought some of
> you may be interested in reading it:
>
> https://theconversation.com/can-online-gaming-ditch-its-sexist-ways-74493
>
> The main topic is the online gaming platform Twitch, which is sadly in the
> news for yet another episode of harassment, but I mention Wikipedia and
> some of the initiatives to create more inclusive spaces (e.g. Teahouse).
>
> Any feedback is really appreciated. Cheers!
>
> Giovanni
> --
> Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia <[hidden email]> ∙ Assistant Research
> Scientist
> IU Network Science Institute <http://iuni.iu.edu/> ∙ glciampaglia.com
> News [image: 🕫]*WWW 2018* ∙ Alternate track on Journalism, Misinformation,
> and Fact Checking:
> https://www2018.thewebconf.org/call-for-papers/misinformation-cfp/

Re: Wikipedia, Twitch, sexism, and algorithms

Dario Taraborelli-3
Nice piece, thanks for sharing, Giovanni!

On top of Toby's link, check out this board with a list of current research
programs in the space of anti-harassment and community health Wikimedia
Research team is working on:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/research-programs/

Dario

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello list!
>
> I have written a short piece on how online communities are using
> algorithmic tools to address issues of gender inequality, harassment, and
> more in general how to create more inclusive environments online. And since
> I know this is a topic has been discussed before here, I thought some of
> you may be interested in reading it:
>
> https://theconversation.com/can-online-gaming-ditch-its-sexist-ways-74493
>
> The main topic is the online gaming platform Twitch, which is sadly in the
> news for yet another episode of harassment, but I mention Wikipedia and
> some of the initiatives to create more inclusive spaces (e.g. Teahouse).
>
> Any feedback is really appreciated. Cheers!
>
> Giovanni
> --
> Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia <[hidden email]> ∙ Assistant Research
> Scientist
> IU Network Science Institute <http://iuni.iu.edu/> ∙ glciampaglia.com
> News [image: 🕫]*WWW 2018* ∙ Alternate track on Journalism, Misinformation,
> and Fact Checking:
> https://www2018.thewebconf.org/call-for-papers/misinformation-cfp/

*Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
<http://twitter.com/readermeter>