Wikipedia block dispute

Essjay -Wikipedia-
First, it would have been nice for Kevin to either email me, as the blocking
policy suggests, or leave a note on his talk page; however, as we all know,
it is much more satisfying to burn an admin at the stake via the mailing
list rather than try to resolve the situation directly. I  feel it such a
waste to have a dozen different ways to contact me listed on my talk page
and have none of them be of any use to him.

I issued the indefinnate block after Kevin trolled Cool Cat and several
other users, including Anthere, over a completely inappropriate userbox. I
settled on an indef block because he admitted that his intention in the
entire situation was to troll, and we all know that trolling is the last
thing Wikipedia needs, although it certainly receives more than its share. I
announced the block in #wikimeda, and no other admin saw fit to adjust it,
although there were several (including two Board members, and, if I remember
correctly, Jimbo himself) in the channel and actively discussing the matter.
Further, the block was recorded in the block log, as all blocks are, and no
other user saw fit to raise the issue on my talk page, AN/I, or elsewhere.

Given that several other users have been affected by the resulting
autoblocks, I'm willing to reduce the block to 24 hours (from whatever time
I set it) and be done with the matter, provided that, as Kevin asserts that
he has been a upstanding contributor for a long time, he gives up trolling
and goes back to making useful edits. If he intends to continue trolling,
however, I'm not inclined to reduce the block, as why would I unblock
someone so they can return to trolling.

I don't normally get the mailing list emails, so if another admin sees a
response from Kevin indicating that he has given up trolling and would like
to be unblocked, please feel free to unblock, and leave me a note on my talk
saying that it has been done. If one of you disagrees with the block (and
I'm sure there will be at least one), I invoke what I have written on my
userpage:
<quote>
I strongly encourage other administrators who feel I have made an action
inappropriately to take the appropriate action to rectify it and follow up
with a note to me.
</quote>

If, by some odd chance, Kevin would like to email me directly, instead of
involving the entire mailing list, he is welcome to do so. I'm also
available by the other twelve methods listed on my userpage.

As always, peace be with you all.

Essjay
---------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia
www.wikipedia.org

Re: Wikipedia block dispute

Kevin Mulligan
Essjay -Wikipedia- wrote:
> First, it would have been nice for Kevin to either email me, as the
> blocking policy suggests, or leave a note on his talk page; however,
> as we all know, it is much more satisfying to burn an admin at the
> stake via the mailing list rather than try to resolve the situation
> directly. I  feel it such a waste to have a dozen different ways to
> contact me listed on my talk page and have none of them be of any use
> to him.
It was never my intention to burn anyone at the stake.  I posted this to
the mailing list per the instructions I see when I try to edit a page
now: "If you believe that our blocking policy was violated, you may
discuss the block publicly on the WikiEN-l mailing list."  I didn't want
to contact you directly since I would have preferred if someone from a
more neutral standpoint could have handled the situation since I feel
that the block you have placed on me suggests a personal bias.

> I issued the indefinnate block after Kevin trolled Cool Cat and
> several other users, including Anthere, over a completely
> inappropriate userbox. I settled on an indef block because he admitted
> that his intention in the entire situation was to troll, and we all
> know that trolling is the last thing Wikipedia needs, although it
> certainly receives more than its share. I announced the block in
> #wikimeda, and no other admin saw fit to adjust it, although there
> were several (including two Board members, and, if I remember
> correctly, Jimbo himself) in the channel and actively discussing the
> matter. Further, the block was recorded in the block log, as all
> blocks are, and no other user saw fit to raise the issue on my talk
> page, AN/I, or elsewhere.
I absolutely deny that I trolled anyone other than Cool Cat.  I left
this comment
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anthere#My_user_box) on
Anthere's userpage but there is absolutely no way it can be construed as
trolling or anything similar.  I'm very surprised that no other admins
commented on my shockingly severe ban, I can only assume this is because
they trusted your judgement in the matter.

> Given that several other users have been affected by the resulting
> autoblocks, I'm willing to reduce the block to 24 hours (from whatever
> time I set it) and be done with the matter, provided that, as Kevin
> asserts that he has been a upstanding contributor for a long time, he
> gives up trolling and goes back to making useful edits. If he intends
> to continue trolling, however, I'm not inclined to reduce the block,
> as why would I unblock someone so they can return to trolling.
According to the block log only one other user has been affected by my
block, that is not several.  I have no idea how any other users could in
fact be affected since I have a static IP address.

> I don't normally get the mailing list emails, so if another admin sees
> a response from Kevin indicating that he has given up trolling and
> would like to be unblocked, please feel free to unblock, and leave me
> a note on my talk saying that it has been done. If one of you
> disagrees with the block (and I'm sure there will be at least one), I
> invoke what I have written on my userpage:
> <quote>
> I strongly encourage other administrators who feel I have made an
> action inappropriately to take the appropriate action to rectify it
> and follow up with a note to me.
> </quote>
>
> If, by some odd chance, Kevin would like to email me directly, instead
> of involving the entire mailing list, he is welcome to do so. I'm also
> available by the other twelve methods listed on my userpage.

    As always, peace be with you all.

    Essjay

I don't appreciate your sarcasm here Essjay.  Since you have posted this
to the mailing list rather than emailing me directly I can only assume
you are happy for it to be handled in public now.

I still very strongly feel that Essjay's overreacted with his block.
I'm not going to allow myself to be portrayed as a merciless troll by
him for this when in fact all I did was leave a practical joke on a
user's talk page.  I appreciate that I did wrong but I do NOT deserve an
indefinite ban from Wikipedia and I question whether I deserve a ban at
all, but that's not for me to decide.

I would very much appreciate it if this situation could be arbitrated as
I am extremely unhappy about being treated this way considering the time
and effort I have put into Wikipedia in the past.

Regards,
Kevin Mulligan

Re: Wikipedia block dispute

bbatsell
Wow.  The block was too long in my opinion, but based on your
attitudes here (and the fact that you did start this problem, but
don't feel like admitting your wrongdoing), if it were up to me, I'd
leave it in place.  WP would do just fine without yet another troll
and editor with a chip on his shoulder.

Regards,
[[en:User:Bbatsell]]

Re: Wikipedia block dispute

Kevin Mulligan

On 6 Jan 2006, at 19:00, Brock Batsell wrote:

> Wow.  The block was too long in my opinion, but based on your
> attitudes here (and the fact that you did start this problem, but
> don't feel like admitting your wrongdoing),

"I appreciate that I did wrong but I do NOT deserve an indefinite ban
from Wikipedia"
"I accept that I did wrong by trolling on Cool Cat's page"

> if it were up to me, I'd leave it in place.  WP would do just fine
> without yet another troll and editor with a chip on his shoulder.

Thanks for reading.