Wikipedia creator Jimmy Walker - wikileaks

Wikipedia creator Jimmy Walker - wikileaks

Jimmy Wales-3
I was mentioned in a leaked US diplomatic cable - with my name spelled
wrong!

http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2008/11/08SANTIAGO1015.html

Hilarious.

--Jimbo

Re: Wikipedia creator Jimmy Walker - wikileaks

David Gerard-2
On 3 September 2011 21:45, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was mentioned in a leaked US diplomatic cable - with my name spelled
> wrong!
> http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2008/11/08SANTIAGO1015.html

You'd think the founder of Wikileaks would be better known

<ducks>

- d.

Re: Wikipedia creator Jimmy Walker - wikileaks

Ray Saintonge
On 09/03/11 1:45 PM, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I was mentioned in a leaked US diplomatic cable - with my name spelled
> wrong!
>
> http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2008/11/08SANTIAGO1015.html
>
> Hilarious.

Treat the name as coded. If the cable put Wikipedia's creator in danger
you can feel safe that they will be looking for Mr. Walker.

Ray

Re: Wikipedia creator Jimmy Walker - wikileaks

David Richfield
Maybe whoever wrote the cable had been drinking too much Johnny Walker?

--
David Richfield
e^(πi)+1=0

Re: Wikipedia creator Jimmy Walker - wikileaks

Jon Davis-5
Walker, Wikipedia Ranger?

2011/9/4 David Richfield <[hidden email]>

> Maybe whoever wrote the cable had been drinking too much Johnny Walker?
>
> --
> David Richfield
> e^(πi)+1=0

Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]] / KJ6FNQ
http://snowulf.com/
http://ipv6wiki.net/

2011/9/4 Jon Davis <[hidden email]>:

> Walker, Wikipedia Ranger?

http://davidgerard.co.uk/notes/2010/11/24/jimmy-wales-facts/

- d.

Re: Wikipedia creator Jimmy Walker - wikileaks

Ryan Lomonaco
On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was mentioned in a leaked US diplomatic cable - with my name spelled
> wrong!
>
> http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2008/11/08SANTIAGO1015.html
>
> Hilarious.
>
> --Jimbo

Dy-no-MITE!

--
[[User:Ral315]]

Re: Wikipedia creator Jimmy Walker - wikileaks

Antoine Musso-3
On 04/09/11 21:04, Jon Davis wrote:
> Walker, Wikipedia Ranger?

Walker does not look for an encyclopaedia ...
   ... he has millions of people to have it written.

--
Ashar Voultoiz

Re: Sue Gardener, Wikipedia's leading editor - wikileaks

Marcin Cieslak-3
>> Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was mentioned in a leaked US diplomatic cable - with my name spelled
> wrong!
>
> http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2008/11/08SANTIAGO1015.html

What about this:

Reference id: 09TELAVIV982
Origin: Embassy Tel Aviv
Time: Mon, 4 May 2009 10:30 UTC
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

(...)

Ha'aretz reported that Sue Gardner, Wikipedia's leading editor, who
attended the Wikipedia Academy 2009 Conference in Israel this week,
refuted claims by leading Israeli Internet researchers that
WikipediaQs coverage of Israel-related issues is 'problematic.
Gardener said that the Web site merely reflected public discourse.
'I know that more or less the same mistakes [on Wikipedia] can be
found in The New York Times,' she was quoted as saying.

http://www.cablegatesearch.net/cable.php?id=09TELAVIV982

//Marcin

Re: Sue Gardener, Wikipedia's leading editor - wikileaks

Ziko van Dijk
Funny, These lines remind us that a lot of the "intelligence" work is
nothing more than reading the newspaper. No much real "leaking", one
might say.

Obviously, those writers love the word "leading" to make their readers
understand the importance of the news. :-)

Isn't it a problem in the English language that "editor" usually means
a person who is publishing, like the editor (publisher?) of a
newspaper?

Kind regards
Ziko

2011/9/6 Marcin Cieslak <[hidden email]>:

>>> Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was mentioned in a leaked US diplomatic cable - with my name spelled
>> wrong!
>>
>> http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2008/11/08SANTIAGO1015.html
>
> What about this:
>
> Reference id: 09TELAVIV982
> Origin: Embassy Tel Aviv
> Time: Mon, 4 May 2009 10:30 UTC
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>
> (...)
>
> Ha'aretz reported that Sue Gardner, Wikipedia's leading editor, who
> attended the Wikipedia Academy 2009 Conference in Israel this week,
> refuted claims by leading Israeli Internet researchers that
> WikipediaQs coverage of Israel-related issues is 'problematic.
> Gardener said that the Web site merely reflected public discourse.
> 'I know that more or less the same mistakes [on Wikipedia] can be
> found in The New York Times,' she was quoted as saying.
>
> http://www.cablegatesearch.net/cable.php?id=09TELAVIV982
>
> //Marcin

Ziko van Dijk
The Netherlands
http://zikoblog.wordpress.com/

Re: Sue Gardener, Wikipedia's leading editor - wikileaks

Nikola Smolenski-2
On 06/09/11 10:49, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
>>> Jimmy Wales<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I was mentioned in a leaked US diplomatic cable - with my name spelled
>> wrong!
>>
>> http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2008/11/08SANTIAGO1015.html

Apparently you got confused with Johnnie Walker, but I'm not sure if
that is a bad or a good thing :)

Re: Sue Gardener, Wikipedia's leading editor - wikileaks

Sue Gardner-2
On 6 September 2011 01:49, Marcin Cieslak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was mentioned in a leaked US diplomatic cable - with my name spelled
>> wrong!
>>
>> http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2008/11/08SANTIAGO1015.html
>
> What about this:
>
> Reference id: 09TELAVIV982
> Origin: Embassy Tel Aviv
> Time: Mon, 4 May 2009 10:30 UTC
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>
> (...)
>
> Ha'aretz reported that Sue Gardner, Wikipedia's leading editor, who

I did recently make some significant improvements to the article about
the Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature. But really: to characterize me
as Wikipedia's leading editor --- that seems a bit much ;-)

Thanks,
Sue

On 09/06/11 3:29 AM, Ziko van Dijk wrote:

> Funny, These lines remind us that a lot of the "intelligence" work is
> nothing more than reading the newspaper. No much real "leaking", one
> might say.
>
> Obviously, those writers love the word "leading" to make their readers
> understand the importance of the news. :-)
>
> Isn't it a problem in the English language that "editor" usually means
> a person who is publishing, like the editor (publisher?) of a
> newspaper?

No, in the usual senses they are very different.  Essentially the editor
is responsible for the contents, and the publisher is responsible for
the distribution.

Ray

Re: Sue Gardener, Wikipedia's leading editor - wikileaks

Keegan Peterzell
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/06/11 3:29 AM, Ziko van Dijk wrote:
> > Funny, These lines remind us that a lot of the "intelligence" work is
> > nothing more than reading the newspaper. No much real "leaking", one
> > might say.
> >
> > Obviously, those writers love the word "leading" to make their readers
> > understand the importance of the news. :-)
> >
> > Isn't it a problem in the English language that "editor" usually means
> > a person who is publishing, like the editor (publisher?) of a
> > newspaper?
> >
> No, in the usual senses they are very different.  Essentially the editor
> is responsible for the contents, and the publisher is responsible for
> the distribution.
>
> Ray

Americans do understand the difference, and that often makes things more
confusing for us.  The average American would view the WMF as the publisher
of Wikipedia since it hosts the content of editors.  However, the editors
are the publishers by our licensing, and we frequently come up against that
in OTRS correspondence with the more media savvy defining the WMF as the
publisher and thus responsible for the work.  I can imagine it's a concept
that is hard to wrap one's head around when they work in American media.
 Definitions of Jimmy's and the WMF's staff in relation to the product is
muddled in the news, at best.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan