Wikipedia day/Patronage VIS ETH

Robin Schwab-2
Dear all

A first request to vice chairman of VIS (Verein der Informatik
Studierenden) at ETH was responded in a positive way. This means we can
further try getting GEP building for Wikipedia day 2006. In addition
there is a possibility to use the rooms in IFW building without
limitations in time (remember GEP would close at 17:00). IFW is located
~300 m to GEP but not so central/no walk by visitors. We could maybe
establish a staff-chill out there when the official WP day is over.

As written on the homepage

http://ch.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events/Wikipedia_Day_2006

these rooms are just minutes away from Zurich main station and parking
space is available on Saturdays.

I would suggest to put about 30 seats in the front half of the room for
workshops and speeches. In the back part and I suggest bistro tables
with laptops. Finger food and drinks could be served on a side part of
the room. Bigger speeches (Jimbo Wales?) could be held in a room in IFW
(up to 176 seats).

On Monday I will find out on which Saturdays we can get the rooms. Then
we will need a decision about place and time till January 29th. So tell
me your opinion!

Regards

Robin

Re: Wikipedia day/Patronage VIS ETH

Michael Bimmler
short answer: sounds great (okay, i'm maybe a bit biased as "Zürcher").
BTW: I found at http://www.vs.inf.ethz.ch/contact/location.html  a
quite nice description of location and how to get there, so imho it's
really quite central and nicely accessible.
At http://www.inf.ethz.ch/services/reservation  is a little overview
about the rooms that can be booked, now I ask you as our "internal":
What do you think, which room(s) would be appropriate for us? And, how
long in advance do they need to be reserved?
Regards
Michael
2006/1/20, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]>:

> Dear all
>
> A first request to vice chairman of VIS (Verein der Informatik
> Studierenden) at ETH was responded in a positive way. This means we can
> further try getting GEP building for Wikipedia day 2006. In addition
> there is a possibility to use the rooms in IFW building without
> limitations in time (remember GEP would close at 17:00). IFW is located
> ~300 m to GEP but not so central/no walk by visitors. We could maybe
> establish a staff-chill out there when the official WP day is over.
>
> As written on the homepage
>
> http://ch.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events/Wikipedia_Day_2006
>
> these rooms are just minutes away from Zurich main station and parking
> space is available on Saturdays.
>
> I would suggest to put about 30 seats in the front half of the room for
> workshops and speeches. In the back part and I suggest bistro tables
> with laptops. Finger food and drinks could be served on a side part of
> the room. Bigger speeches (Jimbo Wales?) could be held in a room in IFW
> (up to 176 seats).
>
> On Monday I will find out on which Saturdays we can get the rooms. Then
> we will need a decision about place and time till January 29th. So tell
> me your opinion!
>
> Regards
>
> Robin

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Wikipedia day/Patronage VIS ETH

Robin Schwab-2

> What do you think, which room(s) would be appropriate for us? And, how
> long in advance do they need to be reserved?

We should reserve GEP if Zurich is your choice. This room is most
central. I checked today the dates 10.6., 17.6., 24.6., 1.7., 26.8.,
2.9., 23.9. The room is available on all these dates. We can use the
room as long as we'd like to, I was wrong thinking 17:00 was the
deadline. The room can be used free of cost.

Jonas Wäfler from VIS, you're on this mailing list, would you probably
give an official acknowledgment for the patronage?

I further vote for June/first of July as the date for Wikipedia day.
During university terms there will be some more students around than in
August/September. If we can raise members and funds sooner we can plan
more activities later this year.

Now it's up to you to decide.

Best regards

Robin

Re: Wikipedia day/Patronage VIS ETH

Jonas Waefler
Hi everybody.

The VIS (Verein der Informatik Studierenden der ETH) is willing to take
the patronage. We will help you to get the desired rooms and will
advertise the event (mailinglist, article in our students-magazine) in
our department.

Cheers.
Jonas

--
Jonas Waefler <[hidden email]>
Vize Praesident, NachKomm, Information, Online-Redaktor

VIS - Verein der Informatik Studierenden
RZ F17.1, ETH Zentrum, 8092 Zuerich
Tel: +41 044-632-7212, Fax: +41 044-632-1620
http://www.vis.ethz.ch