Wikipedia digital common and states

Sebastien Shulz
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a sociology Ph.D. research (at the Université
Paris-Est) on the relations between digital commons and states. I have two
french case studies, and I'm looking for a third one at an international
scale. I wanted to know where I can found information about what kind of
relation Wikimedia foundation has with the different national states or
international entities (UN, EU etc.). Have you in mind examples of strong
partenrship (either political, financial, legal, governance etc.) between
international or national wikimedia foundation and one international or
state administration ?

Thank you in advance for your insights!
Best regards,

*Sébastien Shulz*
*Doctorant en sociologie *
*Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire Sciences Innovations Sociétés*
*06.68.86.68.46 // Linkedin <https://www.linkedin.com/in/sebastien-shulz>*

Re: Wikipedia digital common and states

Ziko van Dijk-3
Hello,
most interesting, so you have in mind contacts with the national state
itself in the form of the government? Otherwise, there are a lot of
contacts with government based institutions, such as national archives.
Most of these contacts, I guess, relate to the national chapters and not to
the WMF.
Kind regards
Ziko

Am Mi., 27. Feb. 2019 um 17:20 Uhr schrieb Sebastien Shulz <
[hidden email]>:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm currently working on a sociology Ph.D. research (at the Université
> Paris-Est) on the relations between digital commons and states. I have two
> french case studies, and I'm looking for a third one at an international
> scale. I wanted to know where I can found information about what kind of
> relation Wikimedia foundation has with the different national states or
> international entities (UN, EU etc.). Have you in mind examples of strong
> partenrship (either political, financial, legal, governance etc.) between
> international or national wikimedia foundation and one international or
> state administration ?
>
> Thank you in advance for your insights!
> Best regards,
>
> *Sébastien Shulz*
> *Doctorant en sociologie *
> *Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire Sciences Innovations Sociétés*
> *06.68.86.68.46 // Linkedin <https://www.linkedin.com/in/sebastien-shulz>*

Re: Wikipedia digital common and states

Pine W

Chapters and other local groups sometimes have informal or formal
relationships with national government agencies. WMF, as far as I know, is
currently involved in a lawsuit against the US Government but
simultaneously has informal friendly relations with the US National
Archives. WMF also has contacts with GLAM institutions, and the last time I
checked WMF was providing some financial support for a Wikimedian in
Residence who was working with a United Nations agency. I suggest that you
contact the WMF Communications Department or the WMF Legal Department if
you would like more information. See
https://wikimediafoundation.org/about/contact/.

Pine

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 4:20 PM Sebastien Shulz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm currently working on a sociology Ph.D. research (at the Université
> Paris-Est) on the relations between digital commons and states. I have two
> french case studies, and I'm looking for a third one at an international
> scale. I wanted to know where I can found information about what kind of
> relation Wikimedia foundation has with the different national states or
> international entities (UN, EU etc.). Have you in mind examples of strong
> partenrship (either political, financial, legal, governance etc.) between
> international or national wikimedia foundation and one international or
> state administration ?
>
> Thank you in advance for your insights!
> Best regards,
>
> *Sébastien Shulz*
> *Doctorant en sociologie *
> *Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire Sciences Innovations Sociétés*
> *06.68.86.68.46 // Linkedin <https://www.linkedin.com/in/sebastien-shulz>*

Re: Wikipedia digital common and states

Leila Zia
Hi Sébastien,

Please find some responses below.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 8:20 AM Sebastien Shulz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm currently working on a sociology Ph.D. research (at the Université
> Paris-Est) on the relations between digital commons and states.

This is very interesting. It would be great if you share the result of
your research on this list once completed. :)

> I have two
> french case studies, and I'm looking for a third one at an international
> scale. I wanted to know where I can found information about what kind of
> relation Wikimedia foundation has with the different national states or
> international entities (UN, EU etc.). Have you in mind examples of strong
> partenrship (either political, financial, legal, governance etc.) between
> international or national wikimedia foundation and one international or
> state administration ?

I'm going to assume that you have a specific definition of
"partnership" and you will dig into the examples below to see if what
is referred to as partnership there matches what you have in mind.

* Does the example have to be Wikimedia Foundation? If not, there are
other volunteer initiatives at the international level that do have
international partners. For example, Wiki Loves Monuments
international team and UNESCO have partnered in the past. If you want
to learn more about that relationship, please send an email to Wiki
Loves Monuments public mailing list and someone from the international
team will be able to help you.

* If the example has to be Wikimedia Foundation specific: there is no
repository of all partnerships that I can point you at. However, there
are numerous present and past partnerships. You can get a sense of
them through the following examples:
** with Kiwix: https://wikimediafoundation.org/2018/07/18/wikimedia-foundation-and-kiwix-partner-to-grow-offline-access-to-wikipedia/
** with Google:
https://wikimediafoundation.org/2019/01/22/google-and-wikimedia-foundation-partner-to-increase-knowledge-equity-online/
and https://wikimediafoundation.org/2019/02/20/partnerships-make-it-possible-behind-our-role-in-google-code-in-2018/
** with GSMA: https://wikimediafoundation.org/2018/06/21/wikimedia-foundation-partners-gsma-digital-literacy/

Wikimedia Foundation has a Partnerships and Global Reach team and you
may find more information available through
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Reach interesting for your
research as well.

Good luck with your PhD research! :)

Best,