Wikipedia has a problem

Steve Bennett-8
Wikipedia has a problem

Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.

Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.

(Can't contact the database server: All servers busy)

----
Haven't seen this one before - doesn't have any link to fundraising or
anything either.

Steve

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Steve Summit
> Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.
> Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.
> (Can't contact the database server: All servers busy)

AFAIK, it means exactly what it says.  I've been seeing it more
and more lately, particularly at around 15:00 UTC weekdays, and
for some reason a whole lot tonight.  It may be some strange
database problem, or it may just be evergrowing load outstripping
server capacity again..

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Steve Bennett-8
On 12/4/06, Steve Summit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> AFAIK, it means exactly what it says.  I've been seeing it more
> and more lately, particularly at around 15:00 UTC weekdays, and
> for some reason a whole lot tonight.  It may be some strange
> database problem, or it may just be evergrowing load outstripping
> server capacity again..

I blame [[List of big-bust models and performers]]. Apparently our
most popular list.

Steve

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Brad Patrick
An order has been placed for an additional six database servers.  The
servers should be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

On 12/3/06, Steve Summit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.
> > Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.
> > (Can't contact the database server: All servers busy)
>
> AFAIK, it means exactly what it says.  I've been seeing it more
> and more lately, particularly at around 15:00 UTC weekdays, and
> for some reason a whole lot tonight.  It may be some strange
> database problem, or it may just be evergrowing load outstripping
> server capacity again..

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Jay Ashworth-2
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 01:15:21PM +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 12/4/06, Steve Summit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > AFAIK, it means exactly what it says.  I've been seeing it more
> > and more lately, particularly at around 15:00 UTC weekdays, and
> > for some reason a whole lot tonight.  It may be some strange
> > database problem, or it may just be evergrowing load outstripping
> > server capacity again..
>
> I blame [[List of big-bust models and performers]]. Apparently our
> most popular list.

And rightfully so.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [hidden email]
Designer                          Baylink                             RFC 2100

        (I've been informed that the 'divorce' quote makes me look
        misogynistic, even though Jennifer Crusie is (pretty obviously)
        a female romance novelist.  So I've removed it. :-)

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Ron Hall

> > I blame [[List of big-bust models and performers]]. Apparently our
> > most popular list.
>
> And rightfully so.  :-)

    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I would never of found all
    of these talented folk......<hem>

    There are educations and then there are educations.......

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

jmerkey-3
Brad Patrick wrote:

>An order has been placed for an additional six database servers.  The
>servers should be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

You may wish to consider ordering more powerful platforms. I run 6
instances of the entire
Wikipedia on a single Solera Appliance. These servers have throughput of
875 megabyte per second
disk channels. They use standard off the shelf hardware. We could
certainly cut WMF a break on
pricing if you are interested in the future.

Jeff

>On 12/3/06, Steve Summit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>>Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.
>>>Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.
>>>(Can't contact the database server: All servers busy)
>>>

>>AFAIK, it means exactly what it says.  I've been seeing it more
>>and more lately, particularly at around 15:00 UTC weekdays, and
>>for some reason a whole lot tonight.  It may be some strange
>>database problem, or it may just be evergrowing load outstripping
>>server capacity again..

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Ivan Krstić-2
Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> You may wish to consider ordering more powerful platforms. I run 6
> instances of the entire Wikipedia on a single Solera Appliance.
> These servers have throughput of 875 megabyte per second

I run a Wikipedia instance on the 366MHz OLPC XO-1
(http://dev.laptop.org/~krstic/xo); it works because I'm the only user.
Neither storage nor disk throughput help when your problem is sheer
load, and you're computationally-bound.

--
Ivan Krstić <[hidden email]> | GPG: 0x147C722D

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

jmerkey-3
Ivan Krstić wrote:

>Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

>>You may wish to consider ordering more powerful platforms. I run 6
>>instances of the entire Wikipedia on a single Solera Appliance.
>>These servers have throughput of 875 megabyte per second
>>

>I run a Wikipedia instance on the 366MHz OLPC XO-1
>(http://dev.laptop.org/~krstic/xo); it works because I'm the only user.
>Neither storage nor disk throughput help when your problem is sheer
>load, and you're computationally-bound.

I also have proxy servers setup and I get about 2000 visitors a day and
over 300,000 hits per day.

Jeff

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

George William Herbert
On 12/4/06, Jeff V. Merkey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ivan Krstić wrote:
>
> >Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> >

> >>You may wish to consider ordering more powerful platforms. I run 6
> >>instances of the entire Wikipedia on a single Solera Appliance.
> >>These servers have throughput of 875 megabyte per second
> >>

> >I run a Wikipedia instance on the 366MHz OLPC XO-1
> >(http://dev.laptop.org/~krstic/xo); it works because I'm the only user.
> >Neither storage nor disk throughput help when your problem is sheer
> >load, and you're computationally-bound.
> >

> I also have proxy servers setup and I get about 2000 visitors a day and
> over 300,000 hits per day.

Are there links for the capacity planning and performance testing that's
been done so far on production servers?

--
-george william herbert

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

jmerkey-3
George Herbert wrote:

>On 12/4/06, Jeff V. Merkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Ivan Krstić wrote:

>>>I run a Wikipedia instance on the 366MHz OLPC XO-1
>>>(http://dev.laptop.org/~krstic/xo); it works because I'm the only user.
>>>Neither storage nor disk throughput help when your problem is sheer
>>>load, and you're computationally-bound.
>>>

>>I also have proxy servers setup and I get about 2000 visitors a day and
>>over 300,000 hits per day.
>>

>Are there links for the capacity planning and performance testing that's
>been done so far on production servers?

I have no links.  Most of my hits are from Google, Inktomi, Answers.com,
and other search engines.  The server
is under constant pummeling from these robots.    Users only account for
about 23% of my daily hits.

Jeff

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

jmerkey-3
Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

>George Herbert wrote:

>>>I also have proxy servers setup and I get about 2000 visitors a day and
>>>over 300,000 hits per day.
>>>

>>Are there links for the capacity planning and performance testing that's
>>been done so far on production servers?
>>

>I have no links.  Most of my hits are from Google, Inktomi, Answers.com,
>and other search engines.  The server
>is under constant pummeling from these robots.    Users only account for
>about 23% of my daily hits.
>
>Jeff

These numbers do not take into account the constant DOS attacks and
hacker attempts I get from mainland China.  I have the servers setup
on dynamic IP ranges which switch between several IP subnets every other
week to allow folksin China to get access.  Most of the traffic,
unfortunately, are attacks designed to kill my servers from China.  They
have been having a hard time of late since I setup the SSH ports to
jump around between ranges other than port 22 after 3 or more failed
attempts to login via SSH.

Jeff

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Rob Church
On 04/12/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Haven't seen this one before - doesn't have any link to fundraising or
> anything either.

You've really never seen that one before?

It's the class of error message MediaWiki throws up when something
happens that it can't wrap up in a nice, beautified error. :)

Rob Church

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Jay Ashworth-2
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 01:35:12PM -0500, Ivan Krsti?? wrote:
> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> > You may wish to consider ordering more powerful platforms. I run 6
> > instances of the entire Wikipedia on a single Solera Appliance.
> > These servers have throughput of 875 megabyte per second
>
> I run a Wikipedia instance on the 366MHz OLPC XO-1
> (http://dev.laptop.org/~krstic/xo); it works because I'm the only user.
> Neither storage nor disk throughput help when your problem is sheer
> load, and you're computationally-bound.

Yes, Ivan; that's why Jeff suggested provisioning more powerful
platforms.  :-)  That he mentioned throughput is really a red-herring
here...

Cheers,
-- jra

On 04/12/06, Jay R. Ashworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, Ivan; that's why Jeff suggested provisioning more powerful
> platforms.  :-)  That he mentioned throughput is really a red-herring
> here...

Let's filch a couple supercomputers.

Rob Church

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

jmerkey-3
Rob Church wrote:

>On 04/12/06, Jay R. Ashworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Yes, Ivan; that's why Jeff suggested provisioning more powerful
>>platforms.  :-)  That he mentioned throughput is really a red-herring
>>here...
>>

>Let's filch a couple supercomputers.

:-)

Jeff

>Rob Church

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Bence Damokos
> Haven't seen this one before - doesn't have any link to fundraising or
> anything either.

Having a
link to fundraising in this error message wouldn't be such a bad idea...

Bence Damokos

On 12/4/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/12/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Haven't seen this one before - doesn't have any link to fundraising or
> > anything either.
>
> You've really never seen that one before?
>
> It's the class of error message MediaWiki throws up when something
> happens that it can't wrap up in a nice, beautified error. :)
>

> Rob Church

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Rob Church
On 04/12/06, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Having a
> link to fundraising in this error message wouldn't be such a bad idea...

It wouldn't necessarily come up in circumstances where more cash would
be helpful....to be honest, users shouldn't see it as often as the
other error messages, which come from the Squids, etc.

Rob Church

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

George William Herbert
On 12/4/06, Jeff V. Merkey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob Church wrote:
>
> >On 04/12/06, Jay R. Ashworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >>Yes, Ivan; that's why Jeff suggested provisioning more powerful
> >>platforms.  :-)  That he mentioned throughput is really a red-herring
> >>here...
> >
> >Let's filch a couple supercomputers.
>
> :-)
>
> Jeff

Why filch?  Call up and order...

--
-george william herbert

Re: Wikipedia has a problem

Rob Church
On 05/12/06, George Herbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why filch?  Call up and order...

I'd like my money tree dispatched via airmail, please.

Rob Church