Wikipedia in Kannada crosses 9000 mark

Hari Prasad Nadig-2
A great news to share with people from Indian Wikipedia community:
The Kannada Wikipedia has crossed the 9000 articles mark recently. What is more encouraging though is the voluntary and increasing participation by some well known writers, scientists on Wikipedia as editors.

Kannada Wiktionary has also improved extensively now counting at about 70,771 dictionary entries.
 All credits go to the passionate Kannada speaking population active on the Internet constantly striving to see more Kannada in the digital world.
--
Hari Prasad Nadig
http://hpnadig.net | http://twitter.com/hpnadig

Re: Wikipedia in Kannada crosses 9000 mark

Gautam John
On 3 September 2010 14:07, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  All credits go to the passionate Kannada speaking population active on the
> Internet constantly striving to see more Kannada in the digital world.

Wow! That is something! Congratulations to the kn.wiki crew!

Hari, is there something in particular that you have found spurred
this in the recent past?

Thank you.

Best,

Gautam
________
http://social.prathambooks.org/

Re: Wikipedia in Kannada crosses 9000 mark

Challiyan
Great work indeed!

On 9/3/10, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 September 2010 14:07, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  All credits go to the passionate Kannada speaking population active on
>> the
>> Internet constantly striving to see more Kannada in the digital world.
>
> Wow! That is something! Congratulations to the kn.wiki crew!
>
> Hari, is there something in particular that you have found spurred
> this in the recent past?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best,
>
> Gautam
> ________
> http://social.prathambooks.org/

Sent from my mobile device

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3 September 2010 14:07, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  All credits go to the passionate Kannada speaking population active on the
> Internet constantly striving to see more Kannada in the digital world.

Wow! That is something! Congratulations to the kn.wiki crew!

Hari, is there something in particular that you have found spurred
this in the recent past?

Well, Wikipedia has been mentioned in the local media several times in the past year or two.  However, what seems to be more definitive is the increase in number of people using Kannada on the Internet. In a community (dedicated to Kannada literature) that I personally manage, the jump in incoming users (in dialy sign-ups and activity) has been around 40% - 50% which to me seems quite substantial having been familiar with Kannada populace on the Internet.
--
Hari Prasad Nadig
http://hpnadig.net | http://twitter.com/hpnadig
http://flickr.com/hpnadig

Re: Wikipedia in Kannada crosses 9000 mark

Anoop-10
Kudoz to all kn.wiki members!

Thanks

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:
A great news to share with people from Indian Wikipedia community:
The Kannada Wikipedia has crossed the 9000 articles mark recently. What is more encouraging though is the voluntary and increasing participation by some well known writers, scientists on Wikipedia as editors.

Kannada Wiktionary has also improved extensively now counting at about 70,771 dictionary entries.
 All credits go to the passionate Kannada speaking population active on the Internet constantly striving to see more Kannada in the digital world.

With Regards,
Anoop P
www.anoopp.in

Re: Wikipedia in Kannada crosses 9000 mark

BalaSundaraRaman
Hi HPN,

I recently saw your tweet on the 9000 article mark, but didn't know the Wiktionary growth.
Good work by Kannada Wikians.

- Sundar

"That language is an instrument of human reason, and not merely a medium for the expression of thought, is a truth generally admitted."

Re: Wikipedia in Kannada crosses 9000 mark

Bishakha Datta

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:
However, what seems to be more definitive is the increase in number of people using Kannada on the Internet. In a community (dedicated to Kannada literature) that I personally manage, the jump in incoming users (in dialy sign-ups and activity) has been around 40% - 50% which to me seems quite substantial having been familiar with Kannada populace on the Internet.

Great news about Kannada wikipedia and wiktionary. Congrats to all!

Any thoughts on why the Kannada community you manage has shown such a significant increase in incoming users? Media articles alone? Just wondering.

Cheers
Bishakha

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Bishakha Datta <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:
However, what seems to be more definitive is the increase in number of people using Kannada on the Internet. In a community (dedicated to Kannada literature) that I personally manage, the jump in incoming users (in dialy sign-ups and activity) has been around 40% - 50% which to me seems quite substantial having been familiar with Kannada populace on the Internet.

Great news about Kannada wikipedia and wiktionary. Congrats to all!

Thanks, Bishakha.

Any thoughts on why the Kannada community you manage has shown such a significant increase in incoming users? Media articles alone? Just wondering.

Let me quote from above: