Wikipedia in Pig Latin

Ryan Kaldari-2
Due to popular demand, I've implemented a patch to dynamically convert all
Wikipedia content into Pig Latin. Give it a try and let me know what you
think:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/280927/

Note that this implementation is language agnostic, but it works best with
Latin scripts. For those of you looking for support for Pig Latin as a
language variant, try Liangent's patch instead:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/72053/

Cheers,
Kaldari

Re: Wikipedia in Pig Latin

C. Scott Ananian
On a somewhat serious note, I'm a big fan of enabling pig Latin as a
language variant in enwiki.  It would allow out SFO developers to
familiarize themselves with how language converter works, in a script they
can (mostly) read and understand.  It also is *almost but not quite*
reversible (consider "ashway", which could correspond to both "wash" and
"ash"), another property it had in common with many real script
transliterations (often one script will have upper/lowercase distinctions
which are not written in the other script, for example), so it is a useful
test case when thinking about how visual editor (say) ought to work with
variants.

So while you enjoy your igpay atinlay today, spare a thought or two for the
real internationalization issues it resembles.
  --scott
On Apr 1, 2016 11:44 AM, "Ryan Kaldari" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Due to popular demand, I've implemented a patch to dynamically convert all
> Wikipedia content into Pig Latin. Give it a try and let me know what you
> think:
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/280927/
>
> Note that this implementation is language agnostic, but it works best with
> Latin scripts. For those of you looking for support for Pig Latin as a
> language variant, try Liangent's patch instead:
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/72053/
>
> Cheers,
> Kaldari

Re: Wikipedia in Pig Latin

Scott MacLeod
Ryan, Rob and WikiTechans,

How can we build such "Pig Latin" language innovation potential into a wiki
UNIVERSAL TRANSLATOR - e.g.
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/WUaS_Universal_Translator - and in
all 7,097 + languages - in http://www.ethnologue.com/world - and also re
7943 entries+ in Glottolog for languages -
http://glottolog.org/glottolog/language - but newly in MediaWiki WUaS -
http://worlduniversityandschool.org/WUaS_En_Wiki/index.php?title=Languages
- which you greatly helped to install on Jan 6, 2016, Ryan! Thank you!
(This languages' page was formerly
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Languages) And how can we build this
now also with Wikidata in 300 Wikipedia languages (and also building on
Content Translation and Google Translate)?

Thanks too to WMF's Rob Lanphier for beginning a new #WorldUnivandSch IRC
channel in the Wikidata office hour last Wednesday! WUaS will plan to hold
office hours at 3pm PT to begin (just after the Wednesday at 2pm PT
Wikidata office hour in #wikimedia-office). Unfortunately this Wednesday I
won't be able to attend because I'll be at a Stanford Law China Guiding
Cases Project and re the China Law School at World University and School -
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/China_Law_School_at_WUaS - planned in
Mandarin and possibly other Chinese languages.  CC MIT OCW is in Mandarin -
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/translated-courses/ - and CC WUaS is developing
with CC MIT OCW in 7 languages+.

Rob, suggestions for good ways to develop CC WUaS MediaWiki / Wikidata in
this #WorldUnivandSch IRC chat channel beyond the two questions I posted on
Wednesday when you began this momentous channel, which questions people
will also find here -
http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2016/03/cyclamen-questions-posed-to-wikimedia.html
? Would you be able please to keep an eye on this #WorldUnivandSch IRC chat
channel at times and re Wikimedia developers? Thank you!

Best, Scott

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 9:08 AM, C. Scott Ananian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On a somewhat serious note, I'm a big fan of enabling pig Latin as a
> language variant in enwiki.  It would allow out SFO developers to
> familiarize themselves with how language converter works, in a script they
> can (mostly) read and understand.  It also is *almost but not quite*
> reversible (consider "ashway", which could correspond to both "wash" and
> "ash"), another property it had in common with many real script
> transliterations (often one script will have upper/lowercase distinctions
> which are not written in the other script, for example), so it is a useful
> test case when thinking about how visual editor (say) ought to work with
> variants.
>
> So while you enjoy your igpay atinlay today, spare a thought or two for the
> real internationalization issues it resembles.
>   --scott
> On Apr 1, 2016 11:44 AM, "Ryan Kaldari" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Due to popular demand, I've implemented a patch to dynamically convert
> all
> > Wikipedia content into Pig Latin. Give it a try and let me know what you
> > think:
> > https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/280927/
> >
> > Note that this implementation is language agnostic, but it works best
> with
> > Latin scripts. For those of you looking for support for Pig Latin as a
> > language variant, try Liangent's patch instead:
> > https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/72053/
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kaldari

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com
- Please donate to tax-exempt 501 (c) (3)
- World University and School
- via PayPal, or credit card, here -
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- or send checks to
- PO Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516
- World University and School - like Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.

Re: Wikipedia in Pig Latin

Daniel Kinzler
Am 01.04.2016 um 19:08 schrieb C. Scott Ananian:
> On a somewhat serious note, I'm a big fan of enabling pig Latin as a
> language variant in enwiki.

Yes, please! I have been using a patch that Liangent wrote a few years ago, but
which never got merged, for exactly this purpose. Piglatin may just be a fun
easter egg for a production site, but it's a very useful tool for development
and testing.

-- daniel

Re: Wikipedia in Pig Latin

Purodha Blissenbach
Yes, plase!
(I shall add the German semi-equivalent "Hühnersprache" [1] as soon as
I am able)
Purodha

[1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spielsprache#H.C3.BChnersprache

On 05.04.2016 16:00, Daniel Kinzler wrote:

> Am 01.04.2016 um 19:08 schrieb C. Scott Ananian:
>> On a somewhat serious note, I'm a big fan of enabling pig Latin as a
>> language variant in enwiki.
>
> Yes, please! I have been using a patch that Liangent wrote a few
> years ago, but
> which never got merged, for exactly this purpose. Piglatin may just
> be a fun
> easter egg for a production site, but it's a very useful tool for
> development
> and testing.
>
> -- daniel

Re: Wikipedia in Pig Latin

Jon Robson-2
+1. Where can I +2 this?

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 01.04.2016 um 19:08 schrieb C. Scott Ananian:
>> On a somewhat serious note, I'm a big fan of enabling pig Latin as a
>> language variant in enwiki.
>
> Yes, please! I have been using a patch that Liangent wrote a few years ago, but
> which never got merged, for exactly this purpose. Piglatin may just be a fun
> easter egg for a production site, but it's a very useful tool for development
> and testing.
>
> -- daniel

Re: Wikipedia in Pig Latin

Bartosz Dziewoński
On 2016-04-05 17:37, Jon Robson wrote:
 > On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]>
wrote:
 >> Yes, please! I have been using a patch that Liangent wrote a few
years ago, but
 >> which never got merged, for exactly this purpose. Piglatin may just
be a fun
 >> easter egg for a production site, but it's a very useful tool for
development
 >> and testing.
 >
> +1. Where can I +2 this?

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/72053/

I'm afraid it got stuck because enabling LanguageConverter for English
caused a number of parser tests to immediately fail, even if no
conversion was being done. :(

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Re: Wikipedia in Pig Latin

Siebrand Mazeland-2
We just had April fools. Please don't. A single test variant is fine, but
we don't need more.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Purodha Blissenbach <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Yes, plase!
> (I shall add the German semi-equivalent "Hühnersprache" [1] as soon as I
> am able)
> Purodha
>
> [1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spielsprache#H.C3.BChnersprache
>

> On 05.04.2016 16:00, Daniel Kinzler wrote:
>
>> Am 01.04.2016 um 19:08 schrieb C. Scott Ananian:
>>
>>> On a somewhat serious note, I'm a big fan of enabling pig Latin as a
>>> language variant in enwiki.
>>>

>> Yes, please! I have been using a patch that Liangent wrote a few
>> years ago, but
>> which never got merged, for exactly this purpose. Piglatin may just be a
>> fun
>> easter egg for a production site, but it's a very useful tool for
>> development
>> and testing.
>>
>> -- daniel

Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Re: Wikipedia in Pig Latin

Daniel Kinzler
Am 05.04.2016 um 21:47 schrieb Siebrand Mazeland:
> We just had April fools. Please don't. A single test variant is fine, but
> we don't need more.

I realize that this was probably a joke. But i do think it would be useful. I'd
be fine with making this an extension though, instead of baking it into core.
Not sure it's possible right now for an extension to add a variant, though.
Could be in core and be disabled per default.

As to having multiple "joke languages"...  Not sure. Doesn't hurt if they are
disabled, but perhaps one per script is enough.

Re: Wikipedia in Pig Latin

Daniel Kinzler
Am 05.04.2016 um 17:55 schrieb Bartosz Dziewoński:

> On 2016-04-05 17:37, Jon Robson wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Yes, please! I have been using a patch that Liangent wrote a few years ago, but
>>> which never got merged, for exactly this purpose. Piglatin may just be a fun
>>> easter egg for a production site, but it's a very useful tool for development
>>> and testing.
>>
>> +1. Where can I +2 this?
>
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/72053/
>
> I'm afraid it got stuck because enabling LanguageConverter for English caused a
> number of parser tests to immediately fail, even if no conversion was being
> done. :(

So let's fix the tests :)

Re: Wikipedia in Pig Latin

Stas Malyshev
Hi!

> We just had April fools. Please don't. A single test variant is fine, but
> we don't need more.

I think it would be nice to have a variant such as Pig Latin. Right now
most variants that we have are in languages most people don't
understand, so it's kind of hard to test some stuff. Pig Latin has the
following advantages:

- (nearly) everybody knows what it is and can read it if they can read
English
- it is easy to see if text is in Pig Latin or English
- it is not just random messing up text but has specific rules
- no additional requirements for keyboard, fonts, editors, etc.
- it is funny to look at - and we all could use occasional comic relief :)

I'm not sure about production wiki but at least having it in
development/test/beta would be nice I think - e.g. as vagrant role or
something like that maybe?
--
Stas Malyshev