Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Neil Harris-2
For the first time, Wikipedia's one-day traffic rank has today hit 9,
its highest level ever.

Only 8 more to go.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?q=&url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

-- Neil

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

David Gerard-2
On 05/01/07, Neil Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For the first time, Wikipedia's one-day traffic rank has today hit 9,
> its highest level ever.
> Only 8 more to go.
> http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?q=&url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Remember that that's relative, not absolute. Here's our actual page
request stats:

http://www.nedworks.org/~mark/reqstats/reqstats-monthly.png

Note the *dip* over Christmas-New Year, just in time for the fundraiser ...

http://www.nedworks.org/~mark/reqstats/ is lots of interesting and
scary reading, btw :-)

- d.

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

fredbaud

Just a fluke, our reach was below 60,000. Sites above us are having trouble. We do seem to have passed ebay though.

Fred

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Thomas Dalton
Why do people put so much weight on Alexa's rankings? It's based on
very biased self selecting sample...

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Charles Matthews
"Thomas Dalton" wrote

> Why do people put so much weight on Alexa's rankings? It's based on
> very biased self selecting sample...

Short answer: it's a good indicator of trend. Especially that you can now apply smoothing to the stats.

Actually something weird appears to have been happening, with all the Chinese portals going up and down at the end of 2006. (WP went right down, and was running slow: China was going up.) The fact that one can see such effects suggests that Alexa rankings are sensitive to some tidal movements. What you cannot conclude is that the whole system is correctly calibrated. But it seems to me that it is possible to read these runes.

Charles

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Thomas Dalton
> Short answer: it's a good indicator of trend.

It's a good indicator of trend within a small subset of internet
users. How do you know they are representative of everyone? I doubt
they are.

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Short answer: it's a good indicator of trend.
>>

> It's a good indicator of trend within a small subset of internet
> users. How do you know they are representative of everyone? I doubt
> they are.

We can't, of course, and no-one should take Alexa's data as representing
anything other than Alexa's user base. The main reason why the Alexa
rating is quoted so often is because its data is freely available, and
updated in real time.

However, the long-term trend of their figures does seem to correlate
fairly well with other sources. Firstly, their traffic figures show the
same general trend as Wikipedia's own internal measurements, and
secondly, every so often, other organizations like comScore and Hitwise,
which use different methodologies, publish the results of their surveys
in press releases, and they show broadly the same overall trend as the
Alexa data.

-- Neil

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Charles Matthews
"Thomas Dalton" wrote

> > Short answer: it's a good indicator of trend.
>
> It's a good indicator of trend within a small subset of internet
> users. How do you know they are representative of everyone? I doubt
> they are.

You can't _know_. You can look at it daily for a while, and decide it tells you things in real time that are apparent afterwards.

Go to http://alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=en.wikipedia.org, try 5y, Page Views, maximum smoothing. I think if you knew where to look for it you could see the bot articles based on US census data; a year ago it was more prominent. You can see the post-Siegenthaler boom very well. Apart from the trend growth, the other main feature was December 2006, and a big slowdown.

Charles

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Guy Chapman aka JzG
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:10:00 +0000, Neil Harris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Only 8 more to go.

Unlikely, unless we start offering free email or setting every copy of
Windows to use Wikipedia as its default home page.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Dan Collins-2
Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:10:00 +0000, Neil Harris
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Only 8 more to go.
>
> Unlikely, unless we start offering free email or setting every copy of
> Windows to use Wikipedia as its default home page.
>
> Guy (JzG)
Well, let's go do that!

--
GnuPG key ID is 0x84189146 on subkeys.pgp.net

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Matthew Britton-2
Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:10:00 +0000, Neil Harris
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Only 8 more to go.
>
> Unlikely, unless we start offering free email or setting every copy of
> Windows to use Wikipedia as its default home page.
>
> Guy (JzG)

Well... a lot (most?) of Wikipedia's traffic comes from search engine
results, which the site has been steadily rising through to the point
that it is now the first result for a huge number of search terms. So,
provided a search engine of some kind is the default home page, it is
never far away.

-Gurch

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Mathias Schindler-2
On 1/5/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:10:00 +0000, Neil Harris
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Only 8 more to go.
>
> Unlikely, unless we start offering free email or setting every copy of
> Windows to use Wikipedia as its default home page.

We are getting close. Microsoft is using its autoupdate tool to push
the MSIE 7.0 to its dron^wcustomers. People will have the "option" to
"chose" for different search providers for the upper right search form
(maybe you have seen this in FF already). One of the offered search
tools is Wikipedia.

This should - however - not stop us from creating an offline tool that
could be installed instead of Encarta for OEMs...

Mathias

Mathias Schindler wrote:

> On 1/5/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:10:00 +0000, Neil Harris
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Only 8 more to go.
>> Unlikely, unless we start offering free email or setting every copy of
>> Windows to use Wikipedia as its default home page.
>
> We are getting close. Microsoft is using its autoupdate tool to push
> the MSIE 7.0 to its dron^wcustomers. People will have the "option" to
> "chose" for different search providers for the upper right search form
> (maybe you have seen this in FF already). One of the offered search
> tools is Wikipedia.
>
> This should - however - not stop us from creating an offline tool that
> could be installed instead of Encarta for OEMs...
>
> Mathias

Just persuade some popular OEMs to ship new PCs with a shortcut to
Wikipedia on the desktop; that'd be enough.

-Gurch

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Guy Chapman aka JzG
On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 20:59:29 +0100, "Mathias Schindler"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>We are getting close. Microsoft is using its autoupdate tool to push
>the MSIE 7.0 to its dron^wcustomers. People will have the "option" to
>"chose" for different search providers for the upper right search form
>(maybe you have seen this in FF already). One of the offered search
>tools is Wikipedia.

Yup.  But let's not forget that "making #1 in Alexa" is not one of the
aims of the project...

Guy (JzG)

On 1/5/07, Gurch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just persuade some popular OEMs to ship new PCs with a shortcut to
> Wikipedia on the desktop; that'd be enough.

including a shortcut to a website is not something that can be sold to
the customer as a feature. OEMs are doing this because they get paid
for (this way or another).

Mathias

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Mathias Schindler-2
On 1/5/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yup.  But let's not forget that "making #1 in Alexa" is not one of the
> aims of the project...

being #1 on alexa will be a coincidental side-effect, same as
world-domination and one or two nobel prizes.

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Charles Matthews

Gurch wrote

> Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:10:00 +0000, Neil Harris
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Only 8 more to go.
> >
> > Unlikely, unless we start offering free email or setting every copy of
> > Windows to use Wikipedia as its default home page.
> >
> > Guy (JzG)
>
> Well... a lot (most?) of Wikipedia's traffic comes from search engine
> results, which the site has been steadily rising through to the point
> that it is now the first result for a huge number of search terms. So,
> provided a search engine of some kind is the default home page, it is
> never far away.

It is not 'fantasy' or even 'science fiction' that WP, or something rather like it, could be the world's top website by traffic. The reason that WP surpassed eBay on Alexa is not hard to see: eBay had come close to saturating its market, at least in the areas and languages at which it was throwing capital. It had found most of the people who wanted to use it. WP is not in that position, yet. It might struggle to overtake Google and Baidu. But there is no real reason why a reference site with a real global footprint might not dominate, if the search market fragmented more, and the Chinese-language portals don't consolidate.

Anyway there is a slight silliness about this. If search sites are powered by Google behind a facade, 'Google users' understates the people who use Google.

Charles

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Michael Snow
[hidden email] wrote:

>"Thomas Dalton" wrote
>

>>Why do people put so much weight on Alexa's rankings? It's based on
>>very biased self selecting sample...
>>

>Short answer: it's a good indicator of trend. Especially that you can now apply smoothing to the stats.
>
>Actually something weird appears to have been happening, with all the Chinese portals going up and down at the end of 2006. (WP went right down, and was running slow: China was going up.) The fact that one can see such effects suggests that Alexa rankings are sensitive to some tidal movements. What you cannot conclude is that the whole system is correctly calibrated. But it seems to me that it is possible to read these runes.

People do know that there was a significant earthquake off Taiwan last
week that damaged undersea telecommunications cables and severely
disrupted internet access to/from/in East Asia, right? Sometimes local
phenomena in the physical world still play a role.

--Michael Snow

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Guy Chapman aka JzG
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:00:24 -0800, Michael Snow
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>People do know that there was a significant earthquake off Taiwan last
>week that damaged undersea telecommunications cables and severely
>disrupted internet access to/from/in East Asia, right?

Certainly do.  Our APAC admins have been picking up the pieces ever
since.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Re: Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10.

Ray Saintonge
Thomas Dalton wrote:

>Why do people put so much weight on Alexa's rankings? It's based on
>very biased self selecting sample...

That's probably right.  Still it's very easy for quick access, and
that's fine for casual information.  If one wants to seriously prove a
point more spophisticated means should probably be used.

A similar question might be why do so many people use Microsoft?  ... or
(shudder) even AOL?

Ec