[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little

pekka.gronow
If I had 100 million, I would use part of it to purchase the historical
part (1898-1950) of the EMI Music Archives at Hayes, UK .  It contains
about a million 78 rpm shellac records made in various parts of the world
by various EMI labels (Gramophone, HMV, Zonophone, etc). Some of these
recordings contain copyrighted musical works, but a lot of it is in public
domain at least in the EU.  Most of them will never be published again,
because there is no commercial market for, say, Icelandic or  Burmese
records made in the 1920s, so EMI will just sit on them forever unless
someone raises enough money to buy the lot.

The rest of the money would be needed to digitise the recordings and put
them online. I 'll be glad to provide guidance on this, once we get this
far...

Pekka Gronow
Helsinki, Finland

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Dream a little

> The rest of the money would be needed to digitise the recordings and put
> them online. I 'll be glad to provide guidance on this, once we get this
> far...

http://www.elpj.com/

A few of those and a lot of time and hard disk space ...

- d.

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Dream a little

Ray Saintonge
David Gerard wrote:

>On 06/11/06, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>The rest of the money would be needed to digitise the recordings and put
>>them online. I 'll be glad to provide guidance on this, once we get this
>>far...
>>

>http://www.elpj.com/
>
>A few of those and a lot of time and hard disk space ...

The TEAC GF-350 may not be as professional, but it's a lot cheaper.

Ec

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Dream a little

David Gerard-2
On 06/11/06, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
> >On 06/11/06, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >>The rest of the money would be needed to digitise the recordings and put
> >>them online. I 'll be glad to provide guidance on this, once we get this
> >>far...

> >http://www.elpj.com/
> >A few of those and a lot of time and hard disk space ...

> The TEAC GF-350 may not be as professional, but it's a lot cheaper.

I have 440kg of vinyl records and no turntable. OH MY GOD I WANT A
LASER TURNTABLE.

- d.

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Dream a little

Brad Patrick
I had not seen that such a thing existed before - I had only heard of
it being theoretical years ago.  HOW AWESOME!

> On 06/11/06, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > David Gerard wrote:

> > >http://www.elpj.com/
> > >A few of those and a lot of time and hard disk space ...
>
> > The TEAC GF-350 may not be as professional, but it's a lot cheaper.
>

> I have 440kg of vinyl records and no turntable. OH MY GOD I WANT A
> LASER TURNTABLE.
>

> - d.

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

On 06/11/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had not seen that such a thing existed before - I had only heard of
> it being theoretical years ago.  HOW AWESOME!

I wrote [[Laser turntable]] a coupla years ago :-) They're favoured by
record libraries and people with too many records. Stevie Wonder has
one, of course.

- d.