[Wikipedia-l] FYI: Missing images tool, V2.0

[Wikipedia-l] FYI: Missing images tool, V2.0

Magnus Manske-2
Some time ago I wrote a tool to facilitate the spread of images on
wikipedia (which is mostly a good thing). However, it was very slow
and not very user-friendly.

Finally, I got around to rewrite it from scratch (something we're all
good at;-) and now call it V2.0:

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/missing_images.php

Basically, it scans through a set of random articles, or articles from
a category, and checks if they have images. If they don't, it tries to
locate images in the matching wikipedia articles in other languages.
It also checks on their license status, and wether they're already on
commons. If not, copying them to commons is assisted by my
commonshelper tool.

If you find the tool mistakes some icon from a navigational element
for an image, please add the icon name to
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Missing_images_tool/Ignored_images

Also, feature suggestions and bug reports are always welcome.

Thanks,
Magnus

Re: [Wikipedia-l] FYI: Missing images tool, V2.0

David Gerard-2
On 06/10/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/missing_images.php

*applause*

Is there an index (on meta, presumably) of tools like this?

- d.

Re: [Wikipedia-l] FYI: Missing images tool, V2.0

draicone@gmail.com
I believe Interiot or Essjay have a list of tools on the toolserver,
but I don't think there's a list of tools for a specific purpose.

> On 06/10/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/missing_images.php
>

> *applause*
>
> Is there an index (on meta, presumably) of tools like this?
>

> - d.

Re: [Wikipedia-l] FYI: Missing images tool, V2.0

Brianna Laugher
*plug*
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Tools
but most of them are benefiting the Commons or helping uploaders.

Brianna

On 07/10/06, Draicone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe Interiot or Essjay have a list of tools on the toolserver,
> but I don't think there's a list of tools for a specific purpose.
>
> On 10/7/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 06/10/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/missing_images.php
> >

> > *applause*
> >
> > Is there an index (on meta, presumably) of tools like this?
> >

> > - d.

Re: [Wikipedia-l] FYI: Missing images tool, V2.0

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
David Gerard wrote:
> On 06/10/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/missing_images.php
>

> *applause*
>
> Is there an index (on meta, presumably) of tools like this?

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Toolserver/TStoc

Note that it's human updated and as such not guaranteed to be accurate...