[Wikipedia-l] News to me

The Cunctator
I didn't realize Danny Mayer was a cofounder of Wikipedia. You learn
something new every day!

From: "Adriana Iwashko" <[hidden email]>
To: < [hidden email]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:04:36 -0500
Subject: Open Source- The Vera List Center for Art and Politics
Panel Discussion
"Open Source: On the Line"
Monday, December 4, 2006 - 6:30 p.m.
The New School, Theresa Lang Community and Student Center
55 West 13th Street, 2nd floor
New York City
Admission: $8, free for all students, as well as members of
Rhizome.org<http://rhizome.org/>
and New School faculty, staff and alumni with valid ID

Panelists:
Cory Arcangel, artist
Joy Garnett, artist
Patrick May, Director of Technology, Rhizome.org <http://rhizome.org/>
Daniel Mayer, Co-founder, Wikipedia
Laura Quilter, Founder, Fair Use Network

Moderator:
Christiane Paul, Adjunct Curator of New Media Arts, The Whitney Museum
of American Art

A panel on the aesthetic and political possibilities afforded by open
source systems, and related debates around copyright and intellectual
property.

The panelists will examine sites like Wikipedia and
Digg.com<http://digg.com/>as well as
p2p networks and social networking sites, and the practices and
challenges inherent to each. They will also explore artworks, arts
institutions, and businesses that have sought to adopt open source
models, and touch on current challenges to the continuation of this
ethos such as "net neutrality" legislation.

Organized by Rhizome, in association with the Vera List Center for Art
and Politics.

This event is presented as part of the Vera List Center's program
cycle on "The Public Domain," and on occasion of Rhizome's tenth
anniversary.

UPCOMING EVENTS:

Friday, December 1, 2006 - 6:00 and 8:00 p.m.
"AIDS and the Politics of Science"
"Beyond Lament: AIDS and the Arts"
2 panels commemorating World AIDS Day, and the 25th anniversary of
epidemic's beginning, organized by the Wolfson Center for National
Affairs

Wednesday, December 6, - 7:00 p.m.
"Image Ownership and Usage in the Digital Age"
Wednesday, December 6, 2006 - 7:00 p.m.

With Michelle Bogre, Parsons The New School for Design
Richard Ellis, Senior Vice President, Getty Images
Barbara Hoffman, Arts and Intellectual Property Lawyer

Presented as part of the Aperture Foundation's series "Confounding
Expectations: Photography in Context."

Re: [Wikipedia-l] News to me

Death Phoenix
Hey, if we have someone inventing the Internet...

On 11/30/06, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I didn't realize Danny Mayer was a cofounder of Wikipedia. You learn
> something new every day!
>
> From: "Adriana Iwashko" <[hidden email]>
> To: < [hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:04:36 -0500
> Subject: Open Source- The Vera List Center for Art and Politics
> Panel Discussion
> "Open Source: On the Line"
> Monday, December 4, 2006 - 6:30 p.m.
> The New School, Theresa Lang Community and Student Center
> 55 West 13th Street, 2nd floor
> New York City
> Admission: $8, free for all students, as well as members of
> Rhizome.org<http://rhizome.org/>
> and New School faculty, staff and alumni with valid ID
>
> Panelists:
> Cory Arcangel, artist
> Joy Garnett, artist
> Patrick May, Director of Technology, Rhizome.org <http://rhizome.org/>
> Daniel Mayer, Co-founder, Wikipedia
> Laura Quilter, Founder, Fair Use Network
>
> Moderator:
> Christiane Paul, Adjunct Curator of New Media Arts, The Whitney Museum
> of American Art
>
> A panel on the aesthetic and political possibilities afforded by open
> source systems, and related debates around copyright and intellectual
> property.
>
> The panelists will examine sites like Wikipedia and
> Digg.com<http://digg.com/>as well as
> p2p networks and social networking sites, and the practices and
> challenges inherent to each. They will also explore artworks, arts
> institutions, and businesses that have sought to adopt open source
> models, and touch on current challenges to the continuation of this
> ethos such as "net neutrality" legislation.
>
> Organized by Rhizome, in association with the Vera List Center for Art
> and Politics.
>
> This event is presented as part of the Vera List Center's program
> cycle on "The Public Domain," and on occasion of Rhizome's tenth
> anniversary.
>

> UPCOMING EVENTS:
>
> Friday, December 1, 2006 - 6:00 and 8:00 p.m.
> "AIDS and the Politics of Science"
> "Beyond Lament: AIDS and the Arts"
> 2 panels commemorating World AIDS Day, and the 25th anniversary of
> epidemic's beginning, organized by the Wolfson Center for National
> Affairs
>
> Wednesday, December 6, - 7:00 p.m.
> "Image Ownership and Usage in the Digital Age"
> Wednesday, December 6, 2006 - 7:00 p.m.
>
> With Michelle Bogre, Parsons The New School for Design
> Richard Ellis, Senior Vice President, Getty Images
> Barbara Hoffman, Arts and Intellectual Property Lawyer
>
> Presented as part of the Aperture Foundation's series "Confounding
> Expectations: Photography in Context."

Re: [Wikipedia-l] News to me

James Hare
You mean the Internets.

On 12/1/06, Death Phoenix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey, if we have someone inventing the Internet...
>
> On 11/30/06, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I didn't realize Danny Mayer was a cofounder of Wikipedia. You learn
> > something new every day!
> >
> > From: "Adriana Iwashko" <[hidden email]>
> > To: < [hidden email]>
> > Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:04:36 -0500
> > Subject: Open Source- The Vera List Center for Art and Politics
> > Panel Discussion
> > "Open Source: On the Line"
> > Monday, December 4, 2006 - 6:30 p.m.
> > The New School, Theresa Lang Community and Student Center
> > 55 West 13th Street, 2nd floor
> > New York City
> > Admission: $8, free for all students, as well as members of
> > Rhizome.org<http://rhizome.org/>
> > and New School faculty, staff and alumni with valid ID
> >
> > Panelists:
> > Cory Arcangel, artist
> > Joy Garnett, artist
> > Patrick May, Director of Technology, Rhizome.org <http://rhizome.org/>
> > Daniel Mayer, Co-founder, Wikipedia
> > Laura Quilter, Founder, Fair Use Network
> >
> > Moderator:
> > Christiane Paul, Adjunct Curator of New Media Arts, The Whitney Museum
> > of American Art
> >
> > A panel on the aesthetic and political possibilities afforded by open
> > source systems, and related debates around copyright and intellectual
> > property.
> >
> > The panelists will examine sites like Wikipedia and
> > Digg.com<http://digg.com/>as well as
> > p2p networks and social networking sites, and the practices and
> > challenges inherent to each. They will also explore artworks, arts
> > institutions, and businesses that have sought to adopt open source
> > models, and touch on current challenges to the continuation of this
> > ethos such as "net neutrality" legislation.
> >
> > Organized by Rhizome, in association with the Vera List Center for Art
> > and Politics.
> >
> > This event is presented as part of the Vera List Center's program
> > cycle on "The Public Domain," and on occasion of Rhizome's tenth
> > anniversary.
> >

> > UPCOMING EVENTS:
> >
> > Friday, December 1, 2006 - 6:00 and 8:00 p.m.
> > "AIDS and the Politics of Science"
> > "Beyond Lament: AIDS and the Arts"
> > 2 panels commemorating World AIDS Day, and the 25th anniversary of
> > epidemic's beginning, organized by the Wolfson Center for National
> > Affairs
> >
> > Wednesday, December 6, - 7:00 p.m.
> > "Image Ownership and Usage in the Digital Age"
> > Wednesday, December 6, 2006 - 7:00 p.m.
> >
> > With Michelle Bogre, Parsons The New School for Design
> > Richard Ellis, Senior Vice President, Getty Images
> > Barbara Hoffman, Arts and Intellectual Property Lawyer
> >
> > Presented as part of the Aperture Foundation's series "Confounding
> > Expectations: Photography in Context."

Re: [Wikipedia-l] News to me

David Still
It's a series of tubes, I hear.

On 12/2/06, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You mean the Internets.
>
> On 12/1/06, Death Phoenix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hey, if we have someone inventing the Internet...
> >
> > On 11/30/06, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I didn't realize Danny Mayer was a cofounder of Wikipedia. You learn
> > > something new every day!
> > >
> > > From: "Adriana Iwashko" <[hidden email]>
> > > To: < [hidden email]>
> > > Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:04:36 -0500
> > > Subject: Open Source- The Vera List Center for Art and Politics
> > > Panel Discussion
> > > "Open Source: On the Line"
> > > Monday, December 4, 2006 - 6:30 p.m.
> > > The New School, Theresa Lang Community and Student Center
> > > 55 West 13th Street, 2nd floor
> > > New York City
> > > Admission: $8, free for all students, as well as members of
> > > Rhizome.org<http://rhizome.org/>
> > > and New School faculty, staff and alumni with valid ID
> > >
> > > Panelists:
> > > Cory Arcangel, artist
> > > Joy Garnett, artist
> > > Patrick May, Director of Technology, Rhizome.org <http://rhizome.org/>
> > > Daniel Mayer, Co-founder, Wikipedia
> > > Laura Quilter, Founder, Fair Use Network
> > >
> > > Moderator:
> > > Christiane Paul, Adjunct Curator of New Media Arts, The Whitney Museum
> > > of American Art
> > >
> > > A panel on the aesthetic and political possibilities afforded by open
> > > source systems, and related debates around copyright and intellectual
> > > property.
> > >
> > > The panelists will examine sites like Wikipedia and
> > > Digg.com<http://digg.com/>as well as
> > > p2p networks and social networking sites, and the practices and
> > > challenges inherent to each. They will also explore artworks, arts
> > > institutions, and businesses that have sought to adopt open source
> > > models, and touch on current challenges to the continuation of this
> > > ethos such as "net neutrality" legislation.
> > >
> > > Organized by Rhizome, in association with the Vera List Center for Art
> > > and Politics.
> > >
> > > This event is presented as part of the Vera List Center's program
> > > cycle on "The Public Domain," and on occasion of Rhizome's tenth
> > > anniversary.
> > >

> > > UPCOMING EVENTS:
> > >
> > > Friday, December 1, 2006 - 6:00 and 8:00 p.m.
> > > "AIDS and the Politics of Science"
> > > "Beyond Lament: AIDS and the Arts"
> > > 2 panels commemorating World AIDS Day, and the 25th anniversary of
> > > epidemic's beginning, organized by the Wolfson Center for National
> > > Affairs
> > >
> > > Wednesday, December 6, - 7:00 p.m.
> > > "Image Ownership and Usage in the Digital Age"
> > > Wednesday, December 6, 2006 - 7:00 p.m.
> > >
> > > With Michelle Bogre, Parsons The New School for Design
> > > Richard Ellis, Senior Vice President, Getty Images
> > > Barbara Hoffman, Arts and Intellectual Property Lawyer
> > >
> > > Presented as part of the Aperture Foundation's series "Confounding
> > > Expectations: Photography in Context."

Re: [Wikipedia-l] News to me

SJ-5
Somewhere, in Henna's apartment, there is the best video ever from
Wikimania's 'Web 1.0 Elevator Pitch-Off' -- with Ross Mayfield
reprising what may be the world's most awesome elevator pitch,
defining in detail the tubes and the network and the tube2tube
dynamics of the Future of Everything.  I love the part where you stop
needing the people on the end of the tubes, and the tubes start
growing themselves.  Even our panel of VC's liked it.

I hear the tubular Future is under wraps but coming out RSN.

SJ

On 12/1/06, David Still <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's a series of tubes, I hear.
>
> On 12/2/06, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > You mean the Internets.
> >
> > On 12/1/06, Death Phoenix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey, if we have someone inventing the Internet...

++SJ

Re: [Wikipedia-l] News to me

Brad Patrick
We were robbed.  Earballs should have won.

On 12/4/06, SJ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Somewhere, in Henna's apartment, there is the best video ever from
> Wikimania's 'Web 1.0 Elevator Pitch-Off' -- with Ross Mayfield
> reprising what may be the world's most awesome elevator pitch,
> defining in detail the tubes and the network and the tube2tube
> dynamics of the Future of Everything.  I love the part where you stop
> needing the people on the end of the tubes, and the tubes start
> growing themselves.  Even our panel of VC's liked it.
>
> I hear the tubular Future is under wraps but coming out RSN.
>
> SJ
>
> On 12/1/06, David Still <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's a series of tubes, I hear.
> >
> > On 12/2/06, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > You mean the Internets.

> learn

> http://rhizome.org/>

> Museum

> open
> intellectual

> this

> Art

> ++SJ

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101