[Wikipedia-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikipedia-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

phoebe ayers-3
The Wikimania jury has met and are pleased to announce that Wikimania
2007 will be held in Taipei, Taiwan.  Taipei had the winning
combination of a dedicated and experienced bidding team, a great venue
with centralized accomodation and community areas, and strong
sponsorship opportunities. Taipei also provides the opportunity to
focus attention on the growing Asian language projects and the
international aspect of the Wikimedia Foundation, as well as learning
about other free knowledge efforts and projects in the region.

This was a very difficult decision.  Every one of the shortlisted bids
this year were outstanding.  The Turin bid came in a close second; their
team made a great effort to procure two strong locations and extensive
government support, and gathered the Italian community together to
develop an outstanding bid.  Alexandria deserves recognition for
bringing the Egyptian and Arabic-language community into the spotlight,
and for finding a remarkable venue partner in the Library of Alexandria.
London also produced a very strong bid, with a great venue, focus on
educational outreach, the diversity of London, and the strong Wikimedia
UK team.

Thank you to all of the bidders, including those who did not make
the shortlist, for your time and energy in developing these bids.
We hope this year's city teams will find ways to build on the contacts
and sponsors developed in the bid process for a 2008 bid or for hosting
a regional event.

We strongly encourage all who bid this year, and those of you wondering
whether your city could have done the same, to consider preparing city
bids for Wikimania in 2008 or 2009. Unofficial bids for 2008 should be
started now, as the decision on that city will be made this winter
(more details on 2008's bid process coming soon; watch
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids
for updates).

Now the work for the winners will begin, as they develop plans for the
conference next summer.  We encourage the entire community to support
Taipei over the coming year in producing an outstanding conference.

With thanks,
The 2007 Wikimania bid jury
_______________________________________________
Wikipedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

draicone@gmail.com
Just out of interest, are there any guidelines for preparing 2008 bids?

Also, is there anyone from Sydney, Australia who would be interested in
helping organise Wikimania 2008?

-- Draicone

On 9/25/06, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> The Wikimania jury has met and are pleased to announce that Wikimania
> 2007 will be held in Taipei, Taiwan.  Taipei had the winning
> combination of a dedicated and experienced bidding team, a great venue
> with centralized accomodation and community areas, and strong
> sponsorship opportunities. Taipei also provides the opportunity to
> focus attention on the growing Asian language projects and the
> international aspect of the Wikimedia Foundation, as well as learning
> about other free knowledge efforts and projects in the region.
>
> This was a very difficult decision.  Every one of the shortlisted bids
> this year were outstanding.  The Turin bid came in a close second; their
> team made a great effort to procure two strong locations and extensive
> government support, and gathered the Italian community together to
> develop an outstanding bid.  Alexandria deserves recognition for
> bringing the Egyptian and Arabic-language community into the spotlight,
> and for finding a remarkable venue partner in the Library of Alexandria.
> London also produced a very strong bid, with a great venue, focus on
> educational outreach, the diversity of London, and the strong Wikimedia
> UK team.
>
> Thank you to all of the bidders, including those who did not make
> the shortlist, for your time and energy in developing these bids.
> We hope this year's city teams will find ways to build on the contacts
> and sponsors developed in the bid process for a 2008 bid or for hosting
> a regional event.
>
> We strongly encourage all who bid this year, and those of you wondering
> whether your city could have done the same, to consider preparing city
> bids for Wikimania in 2008 or 2009. Unofficial bids for 2008 should be
> started now, as the decision on that city will be made this winter
> (more details on 2008's bid process coming soon; watch
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids
> for updates).
>
> Now the work for the winners will begin, as they develop plans for the
> conference next summer.  We encourage the entire community to support
> Taipei over the coming year in producing an outstanding conference.
>
> With thanks,
> The 2007 Wikimania bid jury
> _______________________________________________
> Wikipedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikipedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikipedia-l] [Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Angela-5
In reply to this post by phoebe ayers-3
> It was almost certain that a decent bid from Asia would be successful.

No it wasn't and I wish people didn't have this misconception.

All of the bids were considered against a range of criteria, not only
location. Amongst many other factors, Taipei offered the venue and
accommodation on a single site, and their organizing team had prior
experience from running the Chinese Wikimania this year. It's unfair
to them to suggest they only won because they're in Asia.

If Asia was a sure winner from the start, we wouldn't have needed a
meeting lasting more than 4 hours on Saturday to determine which city
would be successful. A few people seem to think that the others were
rejected purely for being in Europe, but that was not the case, and we
would have said from the start if we were only accepting bids from
other continents so as not to waste people's time.

Angela.
_______________________________________________
Wikipedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikipedia-l] [Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

M. Williamson
I'm a bit surprised that Taipei was chosen, given the political
situation of Taiwan.

On 25/09/06, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > It was almost certain that a decent bid from Asia would be successful.
>
> No it wasn't and I wish people didn't have this misconception.
>
> All of the bids were considered against a range of criteria, not only
> location. Amongst many other factors, Taipei offered the venue and
> accommodation on a single site, and their organizing team had prior
> experience from running the Chinese Wikimania this year. It's unfair
> to them to suggest they only won because they're in Asia.
>
> If Asia was a sure winner from the start, we wouldn't have needed a
> meeting lasting more than 4 hours on Saturday to determine which city
> would be successful. A few people seem to think that the others were
> rejected purely for being in Europe, but that was not the case, and we
> would have said from the start if we were only accepting bids from
> other continents so as not to waste people's time.
>
> Angela.
> _______________________________________________
> Wikipedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l
>


--
Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.
_______________________________________________
Wikipedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikipedia-l] [Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Death Phoenix
If they're worried about offending anyone, they could call it Taipei, Taiwan
R.O.C.

On 9/25/06, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I'm a bit surprised that Taipei was chosen, given the political
> situation of Taiwan.
>
> On 25/09/06, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > It was almost certain that a decent bid from Asia would be successful.
> >
> > No it wasn't and I wish people didn't have this misconception.
> >
> > All of the bids were considered against a range of criteria, not only
> > location. Amongst many other factors, Taipei offered the venue and
> > accommodation on a single site, and their organizing team had prior
> > experience from running the Chinese Wikimania this year. It's unfair
> > to them to suggest they only won because they're in Asia.
> >
> > If Asia was a sure winner from the start, we wouldn't have needed a
> > meeting lasting more than 4 hours on Saturday to determine which city
> > would be successful. A few people seem to think that the others were
> > rejected purely for being in Europe, but that was not the case, and we
> > would have said from the start if we were only accepting bids from
> > other continents so as not to waste people's time.
> >
> > Angela.
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikipedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l
> >
>
>
> --
> Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.
> _______________________________________________
> Wikipedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikipedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l