[Wikipedia-l] "(image) quotation policy" proposed in Korean Wikipedia and Commons

[Wikipedia-l] "(image) quotation policy" proposed in Korean Wikipedia and Commons

Puzzlet Chung
User:WonYong, who insisted that the contents of Wikipedia should be
restricted by National Security Law weeks ago (
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2006-January/043321.html
), claims that copyrighted images can be uploaded to Korean Wikipedia
and Wikimedia Commons,  through "quotation policy."

Some months ago, WonYong wanted to upload image files from South
Korean government, but found that they are copyrighted and not allowed
to be uploaded. Now he came up with a new (proposed) policy that
allows uploading almost any image files. His point is that even
copyrighted images can be _quoted_ in Wikipedia articles, just like
citations in academic articles. He says that he won't no longer need
fair use, which he had proposed in Korean Wikipedia before.

South Korean copyright law states that publicized materials may be
quoted for report, research, or educational purposes, within a
reasonable scope. A bulletin board in the Copyright Discussion and
Arbitration Committee website (http://copyright.or.kr/) answered that
this "quotation" article of the bill is not suitable for writing
encyclopedias.

The problem is that he pushes his policy in not only Korean Wikipedia
but Wikimedia Commons. He says he distrusts copyright.or.kr, and
doubts that other Wikipedians and those in Commons do have "legal
mind."

Ongoing discussion in Wikimedia Commons is here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#ALLOW_COPYRIGHTED_IMAGES.21.21

And the diff is here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons%3AVillage_pump&diff=1233753&oldid=1233434

Puzzlet Chung

Re: "(image) quotation policy" proposed in Korean Wikipedia and Commons

Tim 'avatar' Bartel
Hi wikipedians,

Puzzlet Chung schrieb am 24.01.2006 02:57:
> User:WonYong, who insisted that the contents of Wikipedia should be
> restricted by National Security Law weeks ago (
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2006-January/043321.html
> ), claims that copyrighted images can be uploaded to Korean Wikipedia
> and Wikimedia Commons,  through "quotation policy."

He will have to accept, that this is highly unwanted and won't be
accepted by us. The discussion should show this to him. If he won't get
this and upload unfree images, he will get blocked.

Bye, avatar.

--
"Um den richtigen Weg zu finden,
musst du suchen so lange du lebst."

[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] "(image) quotation policy" proposed in Korean Wikipedia and Commons

Jean-Baptiste Soufron-2
Actually, being a lawyer and a PhD candidate in copyright law, I think
do have "legal mind" :-)

And there are some others on juriwiki-l too :-)

Is copyright.or.kr a governement institution?

Anyway, I know some legal scholars in Korea, and I can contact them to
obtain more precise information. But it will take some time.

I'll follow the link and I forward this to juriwiki-l

Best,

Jean-Baptiste Soufron

Puzzlet Chung wrote:

> User:WonYong, who insisted that the contents of Wikipedia should be
> restricted by National Security Law weeks ago (
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2006-January/043321.html
> ), claims that copyrighted images can be uploaded to Korean Wikipedia
> and Wikimedia Commons,  through "quotation policy."
>
> Some months ago, WonYong wanted to upload image files from South
> Korean government, but found that they are copyrighted and not allowed
> to be uploaded. Now he came up with a new (proposed) policy that
> allows uploading almost any image files. His point is that even
> copyrighted images can be _quoted_ in Wikipedia articles, just like
> citations in academic articles. He says that he won't no longer need
> fair use, which he had proposed in Korean Wikipedia before.
>
> South Korean copyright law states that publicized materials may be
> quoted for report, research, or educational purposes, within a
> reasonable scope. A bulletin board in the Copyright Discussion and
> Arbitration Committee website (http://copyright.or.kr/) answered that
> this "quotation" article of the bill is not suitable for writing
> encyclopedias.
>
> The problem is that he pushes his policy in not only Korean Wikipedia
> but Wikimedia Commons. He says he distrusts copyright.or.kr, and
> doubts that other Wikipedians and those in Commons do have "legal
> mind."
>
> Ongoing discussion in Wikimedia Commons is here:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#ALLOW_COPYRIGHTED_IMAGES.21.21
>
> And the diff is here:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons%3AVillage_pump&diff=1233753&oldid=1233434
>
> Puzzlet Chung

[Foundation-l] Re: "(image) quotation policy" proposed in Korean Wikipedia and Commons

Puzzlet Chung
See also:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2006-January/043439.html