Wikipedia logo on University Challenge?

Mike Peel
Hi all,

Does anyone watch University Challenge? I've heard a rumour that a round of questions was focused on the Wikipedia puzzle globe symbols around the 26th July 2010 - can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Wikipedia logo on University Challenge?

Hampton
I have a copy of it! I filmed it!

- Hampton

On 3 Aug 2010, at 09:47 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone watch University Challenge? I've heard a rumour that a round of questions was focused on the Wikipedia puzzle globe symbols around the 26th July 2010 - can anyone confirm or deny this?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: Wikipedia logo on University Challenge?

Gordon Joly
On 03/08/2010 21:47, Michael Peel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone watch University Challenge? I've heard a rumour that a round of questions was focused on the Wikipedia puzzle globe symbols around the 26th July 2010 - can anyone confirm or deny this?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>

> _________________________________

Yes, it was. Question was to name some of the language, as I recall.

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: Wikipedia logo on University Challenge?

Hampton Catlin
I can do everyone one-better!

http://hamptoncatlin.com/unichallenge.ogg

I recorded it!

-hampton.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/08/2010 21:47, Michael Peel wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone watch University Challenge? I've heard a rumour that a round of questions was focused on the Wikipedia puzzle globe symbols around the 26th July 2010 - can anyone confirm or deny this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>

>> _________________________________
>>

> Yes, it was. Question was to name some of the language, as I recall.
>
> Gordo
>
> --
>
> Gordon Joly
> [hidden email]
> http://www.joly.org.uk/
> Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Wikipedia logo on University Challenge?

Thomas Dalton
On 4 August 2010 14:09, Hampton Catlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can do everyone one-better!
>
> http://hamptoncatlin.com/unichallenge.ogg
>
> I recorded it!

And disregarded copyright in posting it online?

Re: Wikipedia logo on University Challenge?

Hampton Catlin
...seriously?

A fair-use of BBC material in my mind!

And I'm not publishing it anywhere else except internally to wmf people.

-hampton.

PS: Speaking of that... I don't even know how many people are on this
particular list!

On 4 August 2010 19:19, Hampton Catlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...seriously?

Yes, seriously. There is a perception that the free software/free
content movement is all about wilfully ignoring copyright and we
should be very careful not to provide support for that perception.

> A fair-use of BBC material in my mind!

I don't see how it is fair use. Just because it's a short clip doesn't
automatically make it fair use. You didn't critique or review the
work, you just copied it so that other people could see it.

> And I'm not publishing it anywhere else except internally to wmf people.

This is a public mailing list. You don't need to be subscribed to read it.

Re: Wikipedia logo on University Challenge?

Hampton Catlin
I apologize to everyone in the group for so blatantly violating the
copyright of the BBC.

The clip has been removed. I shall notify staff-l of the removal.

Next time, I should begin negotiations with the content owners before
doing anything entertaining.

-hampton.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 August 2010 19:19, Hampton Catlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ...seriously?
>
> Yes, seriously. There is a perception that the free software/free
> content movement is all about wilfully ignoring copyright and we
> should be very careful not to provide support for that perception.
>
>> A fair-use of BBC material in my mind!
>
> I don't see how it is fair use. Just because it's a short clip doesn't
> automatically make it fair use. You didn't critique or review the
> work, you just copied it so that other people could see it.
>
>> And I'm not publishing it anywhere else except internally to wmf people.
>
> This is a public mailing list. You don't need to be subscribed to read it.

Re: Wikipedia logo on University Challenge?

Cormac Lawler

On 4 August 2010 20:44, Hampton Catlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I apologize to everyone in the group for so blatantly violating the
copyright of the BBC.

The clip has been removed. I shall notify staff-l of the removal.

Next time, I should begin negotiations with the content owners before
doing anything entertaining.

:-)

Hampton,

Thomas is right in what he says - but don't fret about it. There's a whole youtube of copyvios out there. ;-)

Cormac

On 04/08/2010 20:44, Hampton Catlin wrote:
> Next time, I should begin negotiations with the content owners before
> doing anything entertaining.

Copyright is so complex!

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Wikipedia logo on University Challenge?

Stephen Tilley
Do we know if the BBC asked for permission to use another organisation's logo in this way?

Stephen Tilley
[hidden email]

On 5 August 2010 10:18, Stephen Tilley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do we know if the BBC asked for permission to use another organisation's
> logo in this way?

I don't see why they would need to. There is certainly no trademark
violation, since the way it was used couldn't confuse anyone into
thinking the BBC was associated with Wikipedia, and think the fair use
exemption to copyright would apply (they are essentially providing
commentary on the logo).

Re: Wikipedia logo on University Challenge?

brian.mcneil-2
On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 14:07 +0100, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 5 August 2010 10:18, Stephen Tilley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Do we know if the BBC asked for permission to use another organisation's
> > logo in this way?
>
> I don't see why they would need to. There is certainly no trademark
> violation, since the way it was used couldn't confuse anyone into
> thinking the BBC was associated with Wikipedia, and think the fair use
> exemption to copyright would apply (they are essentially providing
> commentary on the logo).

This is not the United States of America. It is *fair dealing*, not fair
use.

But, yes. Essentially Thomas is correct.

--
Brian McNeil, Wikinewsie.
http://www.wikinewsie.org | http://en.wikinewsie.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil

Wikinews is a project of the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF), a 501(c)
registered non-profit which is also responsible for Wikipedia.

Wikinewsies are community-accredited freelance journalists who are
regularly published on the English-language Wikinews. They do not
represent the WMF, or Wikinews, in an official capacity.

On 5 August 2010 22:23, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 14:07 +0100, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> On 5 August 2010 10:18, Stephen Tilley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Do we know if the BBC asked for permission to use another organisation's
>> > logo in this way?
>>
>> I don't see why they would need to. There is certainly no trademark
>> violation, since the way it was used couldn't confuse anyone into
>> thinking the BBC was associated with Wikipedia, and think the fair use
>> exemption to copyright would apply (they are essentially providing
>> commentary on the logo).
>
> This is not the United States of America. It is *fair dealing*, not fair
> use.

Indeed. I'm in the habit of speaking American so as not to confuse
their little minds! ;) I need to break that habit when emailing the UK
list...