Wikipedia merchandise

Ben Yates
Hi -- I've made a new store for wikipedia, and come up with a few new
shirt designs.  I posted this on WikiEN-L  and was told to bring it
here, so I'll copy that message:

- - - - -

The wikimedia foundation makes comparatively little from selling
shirts, so I've put together a new store for them on Spreadshirt
(which has higher quality plot prints, not just digital prints -- and
which I am not in any way affiliated with, for the record) and come up
with a few new designs and a fashion-y logo-ish thing.  (I'm not a
designer by trade, so I'm sure these could be improved on.)

The store is at https://www.spreadshirt.com/shop.php?sid=21410 -- let
me know what you think (though for god's sake don't buy anything from
it yet; nobody but the hosting/shirtmaking company will get any
money).

- - - - -

I didn't use any of the current logos, mostly because I couldn't see
myself wearing them; instead, threw together a new vector design (in
any case, wikipedia's logo is too detailed to be plot printed).  I was
wondering where to go from here -- who to contact, whether the new
store should be Official or if I should run it on my own, and give
wikimedia some or all of the profits (and how to go about that).

I do also have some ideas for bumper stickers and such (spreadshirt
only does shirts); I was told Maveric runs the english-language
wikipedia cafepress store, but wasn't able to find a user of that
name.

Cheers
--
Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com

Re: Wikipedia merchandise

Ben Yates
On 2/16/06, Ben Yates <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do also have some ideas for bumper stickers and such (spreadshirt
> only does shirts); I was told Maveric runs the english-language
> wikipedia cafepress store, but wasn't able to find a user of that
> name.

Sorry; scratch that part.  I found the email address for the cafepress store.

--
Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com

Re: Wikipedia merchandise

Daniel Mayer
--- Ben Yates <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi -- I've made a new store for wikipedia, and come up with a few new
> shirt designs.  I posted this on WikiEN-L  and was told to bring it
> here, so I'll copy that message:

Great designs! I like the swoosh-like W. However, the base prices are a bit eye-popping; I thought
the base prices of CafePress were high.

> The store is at https://www.spreadshirt.com/shop.php?sid=21410 -- let
> me know what you think (though for god's sake don't buy anything from
> it yet; nobody but the hosting/shirtmaking company will get any
> money).
>
> I didn't use any of the current logos, mostly because I couldn't see
> myself wearing them; instead, threw together a new vector design (in
> any case, wikipedia's logo is too detailed to be plot printed).  I was
> wondering where to go from here -- who to contact, whether the new
> store should be Official or if I should run it on my own, and give
> wikimedia some or all of the profits (and how to go about that).

I'd rather simply create a new section of the CafePress store that had your and similar designs.
We will need to work out the copyright and trademark issues though. Right now we have a policy
that all CafePress designs need to have their copyright owned by the foundation. And, of course,
the Foundation already has a trademark on the term 'Wikipedia.'

> I do also have some ideas for bumper stickers and such (spreadshirt
> only does shirts); I was told Maveric runs the english-language
> wikipedia cafepress store, but wasn't able to find a user of that
> name.

Maveric149 - What, you never heard of me? I need to edit more often. :) Please add more ideas
here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_ideas/Cafe_Press

-- mav

Re: Wikipedia merchandise

Ben Yates
The prices are a bit high, but plot prints look reeeeeally good.
Maybe we could transfer the designs to Cafepress, but keep them on
spreadshirt as well, with a notice next to the cafepress entries that
higher quality versions are available.  (I'll head over to that meta
link and stop clogging up the mailing list now.)