Wikipedia most viewed pages data

Anandroid Inc
Hi Team,

Thanks for the great api provided for all the wiki info.
I am looking for a combination of right parameters which will return me most viewed pages with the page url, article snippet, thumbnail image url.
Hope you can help with this.

Thanks,
Anand

Re: Wikipedia most viewed pages data

Michael Holloway
Hi Anand,

It sounds like the REST API's featured feed endpoint provides what you're looking for.

For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/feed/featured/2017/04/06 (see the content under the "mostread" key).

Under the hood, titles are obtained from the Pageview API and then supplementary information for our desired titles is obtained from the REST API's page summary endpoint.  That would be the easiest way to go if you'd like to go in a slightly different direction from what's provided in our featured feed endpoint.

If you'd like, you can view the implementation for the "mostread" section of our aggregated feed endpoint here:

Please note that as of now the REST API endpoints are officially designated as unstable.

Best,
Michael

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Anandroid Inc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Team,

Thanks for the great api provided for all the wiki info.
I am looking for a combination of right parameters which will return me most viewed pages with the page url, article snippet, thumbnail image url.
Hope you can help with this.

Thanks,
Anand

Re: Wikipedia most viewed pages data

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Anandroid Inc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the great api provided for all the wiki info.
I am looking for a combination of right parameters which will return me most viewed pages with the page url, article snippet, thumbnail image url.
Hope you can help with this.

With the action API, you can use generator=mostviewed to generate the pages, and prop=info|extracts|pageimages to fetch the requested properties. For example, using the API Sandbox,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:ApiSandbox#action=query&format=json&prop=extracts%7Cinfo%7Cpageimages&generator=mostviewed&exlimit=max&exintro=1&inprop=url&pilimit=max

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Wikipedia most viewed pages data

Anandroid Inc
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your quick response.
This is very helpful, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Anand

On 07-Apr-2017, at 12:08 AM, Michael Holloway <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your quick response.
While the one you suggested is also helpful, It doesn’t have view count parameter.
I got another reply from your team with below api, which looks better and also has view count:

Thanks,
Anand

On 07-Apr-2017, at 12:26 AM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot for your support and quick responses.
As per all the suggestions you gave for my query, I found below two apis which solves my purpose,
But I see both queries ask for todays most viewed pages on wikipedia but they are returning different results.
Request you to please help me on this.

1)

On 07-Apr-2017, at 3:43 AM, Adam Baso <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

This relates to slightly different strategies employed by the the APIs

The first one, which is part of the Action API (api.php), applies less filtering. See WikimediaPageViewService.php for a starting point.

The second one, which is part of the RESTbase API (/api/rest_v1), applies more custom filtering. See the most-read.js file to which Michael linked.

-Adam

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:02 AM, Anandroid Inc <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Whoops!  Meant to reply to list.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Michael Holloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Anand,

It looks like the results from those two queries are from different days.  The first set is from April 5 and the second is from April 6.  For the results from April 5 in the REST API, you'll want https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/feed/featured/2017/04/06.

Also please note that the results from the Action API (api.php) aren't sorted in decreasing pageview order as the REST API's are.  You'll need to sort them yourself.  (Depending on the number of results you need, you should also familiarize yourself with query continuation as well as the result limits per request on the various modules you're using (for instance, 20 for TextExtracts and 50 for PageImages as indicated at the bottom of the results of your query)).

After ensuring you have the same date and sorting the Action API results, you should have the same or very similar results.  For instance, looking at the results from April 5, it looks like "Lake Nyos Disaster" is on top with 497638 pageviews in both sets.  You still might see slight discrepancies between the two sources due to implementation details, however; for instance, in the REST API endpoint we use a heuristic to attempt to filter out pages with pageview counts likely inflated by bot traffic, and so a few pages here and there that appear in the Action API results wouldn't appear in the REST API list.

Best,
Michael

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 6:02 AM, Anandroid Inc <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Michael, this clears it.
One last question is there a way to get the most viewed pages countrywise.
For instance, most viewed pages in India, USA, UK etc.

Thanks,
Anand

On 07-Apr-2017, at 8:58 PM, Michael Holloway <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Anand,

I don't believe we track per-article pageview counts by country.  However, it might be worth asking on [hidden email] to be sure, as they're the experts on our analytics infrastructure.

Best,
Michael