Wikipedia's destiny

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
226 messages Options
1 ... 56789101112
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of charles matthews

> However if you search for the exact phrase, "Charles
> Matthews'' beats "Jimbo Wales" at Google.  Put the actual
> Coronation on hold.

Probably not the best thread or place for it, but may I say how much I
enjoyed the photograph of you on your user page "going completely wild"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Charles_Matthews

Peter (Skyring)


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Mark
In reply to this post by Fred Bauder
Fred Bauder wrote:

>Actually moral absolutes do have a role. But sending you straight to  
>hell is not a good option. Next time, if the only notable thing about  
>a person is that they are pitiful, consider whether that is notable  
>enough to balance the damage it does to Wikipedia to include it.
>  
>
Imagine the damage that would be done to Wikipedia if it became known
that our authors' personal ethical beliefs overtly and purposely
influenced the information we provide.

-Mark

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Delirium

> Imagine the damage that would be done to Wikipedia if it
> became known that our authors' personal ethical beliefs
> overtly and purposely influenced the information we provide.

Seems to be a winning strategy so far. <g>

Results 1 - 10 of about 215,000,000 for Wikipedia. (0.09 seconds)
Results 1 - 20 of about 79 for "Moral virtue". (0.42 seconds)

Peter (Skyring)


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Daniel Mayer
In reply to this post by Jimmy Wales


--- Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrew Lih wrote:
> > Results 1 - 10 of about 161,000 for "brian peppers". (0.05 seconds)
> >
> > Results 1 - 10 of about 154,000 for "Stan Shebs". (0.03 seconds)
> >
> > Let's cut the ridiculousness of this Google testing track.
>
> "jimmy wales" - 36,500,000
> "elvis presley" - 14,400,000
>
> it's pretty silly

Interesting. I get

40,300,000 for "Jimmy Wales"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Jimmy+Wales%22&btnG=Search

and
42,700,000 for "Jesus Christ"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Jesus+Christ%22&btnG=Search

-- mav

PS - IIRC, the same search a month ago had over 50,000,000 hits for "Jimmy Wales" and about
43,000,000 for "Jesus Christ". So you ain’t more popular than Jesus anymore. :)


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

geni
On 2/24/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> --- Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Andrew Lih wrote:
> > > Results 1 - 10 of about 161,000 for "brian peppers". (0.05 seconds)
> > >
> > > Results 1 - 10 of about 154,000 for "Stan Shebs". (0.03 seconds)
> > >
> > > Let's cut the ridiculousness of this Google testing track.
> >
> > "jimmy wales" - 36,500,000
> > "elvis presley" - 14,400,000
> >
> > it's pretty silly
>
> Interesting. I get
>
> 40,300,000 for "Jimmy Wales"
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Jimmy+Wales%22&btnG=Search
>
> and
> 42,700,000 for "Jesus Christ"
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Jesus+Christ%22&btnG=Search
>
> -- mav
>
> PS - IIRC, the same search a month ago had over 50,000,000 hits for "Jimmy Wales" and about
> 43,000,000 for "Jesus Christ". So you ain't more popular than Jesus anymore. :)

Those figures were messed with by jimbo haveing his name at the top of
every single wikipedia page.

--
geni
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Jimmy Wales
geni wrote:
> Those figures were messed with by jimbo haveing his name at the top of
> every single wikipedia page.

Indeed.  My mother pointed this out to me when the phenomenon was at or
near the peak -- I hit 120 million there for a bit.


--
#######################################################################
#    Office: 1-727-231-0101       |  Free Culture and  Free Knowledge #
#    http://www.wikipedia.org     |     Building a free world         #
#######################################################################

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

geni
On 2/24/06, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
> geni wrote:
> > Those figures were messed with by jimbo haveing his name at the top of
> > every single wikipedia page.
>
> Indeed.  My mother pointed this out to me when the phenomenon was at or
> near the peak -- I hit 120 million there for a bit.
>
>

And seceeded in devualing the sumeries provived by google yahoo and
alta vista (posebly other search engins but I got board).

--
geni
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Mark Wagner-2
In reply to this post by Stan Shebs
On 2/23/06, Stan Shebs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Delirium wrote:
>
> >  Have you
> >actually tried searching Google for "Brian Peppers"?  Information on him
> >is quite readily available, quite apart from any obscure sex-offender
> >registry.  Wikipedia is not even the highest-ranked result (snopes.com
> >is), and there are *161,000* hits.
> >
> I only see 92,000, while "Stan Shebs" gets 115,000. So how is it
> that he's notable enough to have an article and I'm not? I even
> have actual accomplishments to describe, albeit no bizarre
> physical features to snicker at (or at least I haven't noticed
> any pointing and giggling :-) ).

<snicker>Lookit his nose!</snicker>

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Peter Mackay
In reply to this post by Daniel Mayer
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Daniel Mayer
> Interesting. I get
>
> 40,300,000 for "Jimmy Wales"
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Jimmy+Wales%22&btnG=Search
>
> and
> 42,700,000 for "Jesus Christ"
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Jesus+Christ%22&bt
> nG=Search
>
> -- mav
>
> PS - IIRC, the same search a month ago had over 50,000,000
> hits for "Jimmy Wales" and about 43,000,000 for "Jesus
> Christ". So you ain't more popular than Jesus anymore. :)

Or googlenotable, at any rate. I suspect that there are a lot of Christians
with limited Internet access, and if you crowded them all into an arena and
asked for a show of hands as to who knew of Jimmy Wales, you would get no
more than two, maybe three.

Pete, leaving this as an exercise for the reader


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Guy Chapman aka JzG
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:41:36 +1100, you wrote:

>Or googlenotable, at any rate. I suspect that there are a lot of Christians
>with limited Internet access, and if you crowded them all into an arena and
>asked for a show of hands as to who knew of Jimmy Wales, you would get no
>more than two, maybe three.

Nah, Gastrich has spammed them all now to vote for alumni of his
favourite unaccredited bible college ;-)
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:41:36 +1100, you wrote:
>
>
>>Or googlenotable, at any rate. I suspect that there are a lot of Christians
>>with limited Internet access, and if you crowded them all into an arena and
>>asked for a show of hands as to who knew of Jimmy Wales, you would get no
>>more than two, maybe three.
>
>
> Nah, Gastrich has spammed them all now to vote for alumni of his
> favourite unaccredited bible college ;-)
For the record, I was spammed, and I used our usual inclusion criteria
when voting.

--
Alphax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
Contributor to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
"We make the internet not suck" - Jimbo Wales
Public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax/OpenPGP

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l

signature.asc (567 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Tony Sidaway-3
In reply to this post by Fred Bauder
On 2/24/06, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually moral absolutes do have a role. But sending you straight to
> hell is not a good option.

Wikipedia Review?  Been there.  It's boring and it smells of wet string.
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

geni
On 2/25/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2/24/06, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Actually moral absolutes do have a role. But sending you straight to
> > hell is not a good option.
>
> Wikipedia Review?  Been there.  It's boring and it smells of wet string.

No being condemed to sort out the all the abuse of fair use and other
parts of copyright law on wikipedia.
--
geni
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Peter Mackay
In reply to this post by Guy Chapman aka JzG
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Guy
> Chapman aka JzG
 
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:41:36 +1100, you wrote:
>
> >Or googlenotable, at any rate. I suspect that there are a lot of
> >Christians with limited Internet access, and if you crowded them all
> >into an arena and asked for a show of hands as to who knew of Jimmy
> >Wales, you would get no more than two, maybe three.
>
> Nah, Gastrich has spammed them all now to vote for alumni of
> his favourite unaccredited bible college ;-) Guy (JzG)

This thread is beginning to exert some sort of hideous fascination for me.
Obviously there are wikiundercurrents I wot not, and passions that have
soared over my unheeding nose, for it takes true dedication to spam those
without Internet access.

Pete, unblinking. loglike


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Peter Mackay
In reply to this post by Tony Sidaway-3
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Tony Sidaway
 
> On 2/24/06, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Actually moral absolutes do have a role. But sending you
> straight to
> > hell is not a good option.
>
> Wikipedia Review?  Been there.  It's boring and it smells of
> wet string.

And sour grapes. Last time I looked, they were talking about establishing a
secure area where they could grizzle privately without people like me coming
over and saying that the world wasn't that bad, really.

Pete, spreading sweetness and light


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Guy Chapman aka JzG
In reply to this post by Peter Mackay
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:27:31 +1100, you wrote:

> it takes true dedication to spam those
>without Internet access.

Ahem: it was *limited* not no access.  
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Guy
> Chapman aka JzG
> Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2006 23:55
> To: English Wikipedia
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's destiny
>
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:27:31 +1100, you wrote:
>
> > it takes true dedication to spam those without Internet access.
>
> Ahem: it was *limited* not no access.  

Point taken. I was being diplomatic, thinking of all those millions of
Christians in the Philippines and Brazil who think "Internet" is a pretty
young trainee.


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Guy Chapman aka JzG
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 06:11:25 +1100, you wrote:

>I was being diplomatic, thinking of all those millions of
>Christians in the Philippines and Brazil who think "Internet" is a pretty
>young trainee.

Cloff!
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Ray Saintonge
In reply to this post by Peter Mackay
Peter Mackay wrote:

>>Imagine the damage that would be done to Wikipedia if it
>>became known that our authors' personal ethical beliefs
>>overtly and purposely influenced the information we provide.
>>    
>>
>Seems to be a winning strategy so far. <g>
>
>Results 1 - 10 of about 215,000,000 for Wikipedia. (0.09 seconds)
>Results 1 - 20 of about 79 for "Moral virtue". (0.42 seconds)
>
Amazing that it should take nearly five times as long to find so little
moral virtue. :-)

Ec

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikipedia's destiny

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Ray Saintonge
 

> Peter Mackay wrote:
>
> >>Imagine the damage that would be done to Wikipedia if it
> became known
> >>that our authors' personal ethical beliefs overtly and purposely
> >>influenced the information we provide.
> >>    
> >>
> >Seems to be a winning strategy so far. <g>
> >
> >Results 1 - 10 of about 215,000,000 for Wikipedia. (0.09 seconds)
> >Results 1 - 20 of about 79 for "Moral virtue". (0.42 seconds)
> >
> Amazing that it should take nearly five times as long to find
> so little moral virtue. :-)

Appropriately enough, I cheated. I used the Google Image search for the
second one, and I gotta say that there are some weird and woolly images for
"moral virtue"!

Pete, of dubious virtue


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
1 ... 56789101112