Wikiquote, the free compendium of quotations, reaches 10, 000 articles in the English edition

Wikiquote, the free compendium of quotations, reaches 10, 000 articles in the English edition

KIZU Naoko
Hello there,
English Wikiquote reaches today 10,000 articles.  Here is a part of
our press release ...

----
7 May, 2007 (St. Petersburg, Fl) - The Wikimedia Foundation announced
today the creation of the 10,000th article in the English language
edition of Wikiquote (http://www.wikiquote.org), a community-built
multilingual compendium of quotations. The article is for quotes by or
about Langdon Smith (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Langdon_Smith), and
it was started by the Wikiquote contributor whose username is Kalki.

The Wikiquote project itself is going to celebrate its four-year
anniversary on June 27. The Wikiquote in the English language edition
is the biggest and oldest among all Wikiquote language editions. But
the growth is not limited to the English version, as more than 50,000
articles are now being worked on in the non-English editions of
Wikiquote in over 35 languages. As of yet, thirteen projects including
English Wikiquote have more than 1,000 articles: top 5 are English,
German, Polish, Italian and Slovak.

The scope of Wikiquote collection is from notable people like Tony
Blair to creative works like Lord of the Rings or Latter Days in every
language, including sources (where known) and translations of
non-English quotes as Rainer Maria Rilke. Besides articles by source,
Wikiquote also provides its readers articles by theme.

[...]

Since 2004, the English Wikiquote provides a good quotation for
readers every day selected from its collection. It is available on its
Main Page and also archives.
-----

The whole press release is available on
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wikiquote:Press_releases/May_2007

--
KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org

Re: Wikiquote, the free compendium of quotations, reaches 10, 000 articles in the English edition

James Forrester-2
On 07/05/07, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> English Wikiquote reaches today 10,000 articles.

My congratulations to all of the editors who have worked so hard on
this project. Of course, an article-count is just a simple metric, but
it still represents a great deal of time and effort.

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email] | [hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: Wikiquote, the free compendium of quotations, reaches 10, 000 articles in the English edition

Florence Devouard-3
Aphaia wrote:

> Hello there,
> English Wikiquote reaches today 10,000 articles.  Here is a part of
> our press release ...
>
> ----
> 7 May, 2007 (St. Petersburg, Fl) - The Wikimedia Foundation announced
> today the creation of the 10,000th article in the English language
> edition of Wikiquote (http://www.wikiquote.org), a community-built
> multilingual compendium of quotations. The article is for quotes by or
> about Langdon Smith (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Langdon_Smith), and
> it was started by the Wikiquote contributor whose username is Kalki.
>
> The Wikiquote project itself is going to celebrate its four-year
> anniversary on June 27. The Wikiquote in the English language edition
> is the biggest and oldest among all Wikiquote language editions. But
> the growth is not limited to the English version, as more than 50,000
> articles are now being worked on in the non-English editions of
> Wikiquote in over 35 languages. As of yet, thirteen projects including
> English Wikiquote have more than 1,000 articles: top 5 are English,
> German, Polish, Italian and Slovak.
>
> The scope of Wikiquote collection is from notable people like Tony
> Blair to creative works like Lord of the Rings or Latter Days in every
> language, including sources (where known) and translations of
> non-English quotes as Rainer Maria Rilke. Besides articles by source,
> Wikiquote also provides its readers articles by theme.
>
> [...]
>
> Since 2004, the English Wikiquote provides a good quotation for
> readers every day selected from its collection. It is available on its
> Main Page and also archives.
> -----
>
> The whole press release is available on
> http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wikiquote:Press_releases/May_2007

Congrats !
/me vaguely wonders if there is a "quote of the day" on wikiquote.

Re: Wikiquote, the free compendium of quotations, reaches 10, 000 articles in the English edition

KIZU Naoko
Thank you for your congratulations, James and Florence,

On 5/8/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Congrats !
> /me vaguely wonders if there is a "quote of the day" on wikiquote.

Since 2003 (= the beginning year) [English] Wikiquote provides you the
quote of the day :)

Today's quote is taken from David Hume (born in this day)
"Nothing appears more surprising to those, who consider human affairs
with a philosophical eye, than the easiness with which the many are
governed by the few ..." (To be continued)

Archives are found at
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wikiquote:Quotes_of_the_Year

The page says it avails also by email:

You can now vote for tomorrow's quote at:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/May_8

Enjoy!