Wikis in Enterprises (Survey)

Tim 'avatar' Bartel
Hi,

one and a half month ago I started an online survey "Wikis in
Unternehmen" (Wikis in Enterprises) in German language. Until today more
than 200 people took the German survey but I was often asked to
translate it to English to open it up to an international audience.

I needed some time (my english is awfull...), but it is done now: the
English online survey "Wikis in Enterprises" can be found here:
http://wikipedistik.de/survey/

This survey is part of the study "Wikis in Enterprises" by the
Department of Personnel Economics and Human Resource Management of the
University of Cologne. I'm writing my diploma thesis about this subject.

The survey adresses enterprises of any size and also enterprises not
using a wiki. It is held short on purpose and answering it will take
only 5-10 minutes at most.

Aim of the survey "Wikis in Enterprises" is the examination of the
factors which work in favor or disfavor for the use of wikis in
enterprises. These factors can for example be the affiliation to a
business sector, the size of an enterprise, the listing or the
outsourcing of IT activities. Dependencies between these factors may
also lead to interesting conclusions.

Why should you participate?

* The survey is answered in only a few minutes.
* Only with a large group of participants a big data pool can be
generated which allows valid results and cognitions and recommendations.
* The participans get noticed about the results.
* You support "Wikimetrics"...

Thank you!

Feel free to blog it :-)
The German survey was named in two printed magazines, but most
participants came through the blogosphere.

Bye, Tim 'avatar' Bartel.

--
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Avatar

Re: Wikis in Enterprises (Survey)

Dirk Riehle-2
Hi Tim,

this is an excellent idea. We need more quantitative work on how and
why wikis work.

At the Wiki Symposium, one research paper on this topic will be presented:

http://ws2006.wikisym.org/space/Symposium+Program

Majchrzak, Wagner, Corporate Wiki Users-Results of a Survey

It focusses mostly on U.S. companies, I believe, and it would
fantastic if survey model and data would be comparable to your work.

Thanks,
Dirk

At 12.06.2006, Tim 'avatar' Bartel wrote:

>Hi,
>
>one and a half month ago I started an online survey "Wikis in
>Unternehmen" (Wikis in Enterprises) in German language. Until today more
>than 200 people took the German survey but I was often asked to
>translate it to English to open it up to an international audience.
>
>I needed some time (my english is awfull...), but it is done now: the
>English online survey "Wikis in Enterprises" can be found here:
>http://wikipedistik.de/survey/
>
>This survey is part of the study "Wikis in Enterprises" by the
>Department of Personnel Economics and Human Resource Management of the
>University of Cologne. I'm writing my diploma thesis about this subject.
>
>The survey adresses enterprises of any size and also enterprises not
>using a wiki. It is held short on purpose and answering it will take
>only 5-10 minutes at most.
>
>Aim of the survey "Wikis in Enterprises" is the examination of the
>factors which work in favor or disfavor for the use of wikis in
>enterprises. These factors can for example be the affiliation to a
>business sector, the size of an enterprise, the listing or the
>outsourcing of IT activities. Dependencies between these factors may
>also lead to interesting conclusions.
>
>Why should you participate?
>
>* The survey is answered in only a few minutes.
>* Only with a large group of participants a big data pool can be
>generated which allows valid results and cognitions and recommendations.
>* The participans get noticed about the results.
>* You support "Wikimetrics"...
>
>Thank you!
>
>Feel free to blog it :-)
>The German survey was named in two printed magazines, but most
>participants came through the blogosphere.
>
>Bye, Tim 'avatar' Bartel.
>
>--
>http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Avatar

Re: Wikis in Enterprises (Survey)

Dirk Riehle-2
One more thing, and quite an intriguing one for wiki research.

About anyone I know, including researchers and analysts, would argue
that Wikipedia/WMF projects are unlike any other wiki, in particular
those that you find in corporations. It is as basic as that Wikipedia
has a much higher reader to author ratio.

A good question for your survey to deal with possible bias would be
to see whether respondents have WMF project experience or not (since
you are marketing through these channels). I'd speculate that this
might be a major factor in determining their answers.

Dirk

At 12.06.2006, Dirk Riehle wrote:

>Hi Tim,
>
>this is an excellent idea. We need more quantitative work on how and
>why wikis work.
>
>At the Wiki Symposium, one research paper on this topic will be presented:
>
>http://ws2006.wikisym.org/space/Symposium+Program
>
>Majchrzak, Wagner, Corporate Wiki Users-Results of a Survey
>
>It focusses mostly on U.S. companies, I believe, and it would
>fantastic if survey model and data would be comparable to your work.
>
>Thanks,
>Dirk
>

>At 12.06.2006, Tim 'avatar' Bartel wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >one and a half month ago I started an online survey "Wikis in
> >Unternehmen" (Wikis in Enterprises) in German language. Until today more
> >than 200 people took the German survey but I was often asked to
> >translate it to English to open it up to an international audience.
> >
> >I needed some time (my english is awfull...), but it is done now: the
> >English online survey "Wikis in Enterprises" can be found here:
> >http://wikipedistik.de/survey/
> >
> >This survey is part of the study "Wikis in Enterprises" by the
> >Department of Personnel Economics and Human Resource Management of the
> >University of Cologne. I'm writing my diploma thesis about this subject.
> >
> >The survey adresses enterprises of any size and also enterprises not
> >using a wiki. It is held short on purpose and answering it will take
> >only 5-10 minutes at most.
> >
> >Aim of the survey "Wikis in Enterprises" is the examination of the
> >factors which work in favor or disfavor for the use of wikis in
> >enterprises. These factors can for example be the affiliation to a
> >business sector, the size of an enterprise, the listing or the
> >outsourcing of IT activities. Dependencies between these factors may
> >also lead to interesting conclusions.
> >
> >Why should you participate?
> >
> >* The survey is answered in only a few minutes.
> >* Only with a large group of participants a big data pool can be
> >generated which allows valid results and cognitions and recommendations.
> >* The participans get noticed about the results.
> >* You support "Wikimetrics"...
> >
> >Thank you!
> >
> >Feel free to blog it :-)
> >The German survey was named in two printed magazines, but most
> >participants came through the blogosphere.
> >
> >Bye, Tim 'avatar' Bartel.
> >
> >--
> >http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Avatar

Re: Wikis in Enterprises (Survey)

Tim 'avatar' Bartel
Hi there,

Dirk Riehle schrieb am 12.06.2006 16:54:

> this is an excellent idea. We need more quantitative work on how and
> why wikis work.
>
> At the Wiki Symposium, one research paper on this topic will be presented:
>
> http://ws2006.wikisym.org/space/Symposium+Program
>
> Majchrzak, Wagner, Corporate Wiki Users-Results of a Survey
>
> It focusses mostly on U.S. companies, I believe, and it would
> fantastic if survey model and data would be comparable to your work.

Sad but true, most probably I won't be able to attend wikisym. But I'll
contact Ann Majchrzak to check if we can exchange some ideas or (public)
data to reach some synergy effects and gain some more insights.

Thanks for the hint.

Bye, Tim.

--
Intelligenz ist nur eine zufaellige Begleiterscheinung des Lebens
und vielleicht nicht einmal eine sehr nuetzliche.

Dirk Riehle schrieb am 12.06.2006 17:01:
> About anyone I know, including researchers and analysts, would argue
> that Wikipedia/WMF projects are unlike any other wiki, in particular
> those that you find in corporations. It is as basic as that Wikipedia
> has a much higher reader to author ratio.
>
> A good question for your survey to deal with possible bias would be
> to see whether respondents have WMF project experience or not (since
> you are marketing through these channels). I'd speculate that this
> might be a major factor in determining their answers.

Well - I planned to have two main parts in my diploma thesis:
* a summary of the actual dates about the use of wikis in enterprises
* a comparison about the data of one/some big/heavily used wiki(s) in
enterprises with data from wikipedia - this would be best if the
enterprise is using MediaWiki

But the problem is: It is very hard to find an enterprise with such a
wiki and to get access to the database - most often it's problematic
because of 'Datenschutz' (privacy concerns about personal data in the
wiki) and/or the 'Betriebsrat' won't allow it. So, I am still trying to
find good examples to work with.

There is a German presentation about my plans (meanwhile slighly
different) which can be found here:
http://www.juelich.de/avatar/diplomandenseminar-bartel-wikis-in-unternehmen.pdf
(and .odp)

But of course it's also a good idea to ask for WMF project experience.
It's possible that I'll create a "in depth" follow-up survey where I can
  add this.

Bye, Tim.

--
Das Leben ist eine durch Geschlechtsverkehr uebertragene, mit
Sicherheit toedlich verlaufende Krankheit.